So, I got a job at McDonald's, and I'm making enough to pay some bills, get a Bally's membership and supplements, and put some away for spending extravagantly. I've been obsessiving over the Fender Supersonic (which I have not played) since seeing this YouTube video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fn5fNAWu0U0 Anywho, I think that tone is pretty fantastic. I've been reading, and it seems this amp can do some pretty good gainy stuff? I've got a TS-808, and I am hoping that through that, I might be able to get some decent metal tones. No? If not, I'm sure I could with a different pedal.

Anywho, I've got questions. I've heard all kinds of issues with reliability. What is the deal on that? Also, I've heard the amp becomes incredible AFTER various modifications. Again, how true is this? This would void my warranty, no? To make 1200$, I'll have to put something away each paycheck for about 3 months, and I'd hate to waste that kind of money. Anything you know about this amp, please share. I am very serious about buying one right now, and I'd hate to **** it up.

Finally, I'm planning on getting an isolation cabinet so I can get good cranked tones. How viable is this? I've read that the Randall model is pretty good... yes? How does that all work? Can I get cranked tube tones via an isolation cabinet? If so, I'm more than willing to spend 400$ on such a device. Thanks

I play blues, rock, metal, classical..
Last edited by rosswigley89 at Jun 19, 2007,
I tried one. It was awesome, but not for what they were asking (it's £1000 over here where I tried it).Great blues tones, pretty smooth OD with the Tele I used, decent gain and awesome cleans. Definitely try before you buy though. apparently the OD turns to mush at about volume 4 though :S
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Yeah, I'd like to know more about that. Does it really turn to mush? Just how loud is it at 4? I'd be using it mostly for fun, not gigging or anything.
VERY loud at 4. I tried it in a shop at about 1 volume, that was loud enough by far. I made a thread reviewing it briefly, search 'Carrot Spam II - return of the carrot' in the search bar and you'll find my thread.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
honestly the fender blues develle reissue or the hotrod develle is probabally a better bet. To me it doesnt look like that guy is really playing in that vid unless the audio is delayed slightly or something.
^^ Read it, thanks.

^ Both of those amps are pretty bad. The DeVille is ridiculously loud. I've never really played one, because they're so ****ing loud, it's embarassing. The HRD can be a very nice amp, though.
^^ The audio is delayed enough to make it look wrong, but he is playing that.

And reported for multiple accounts. If you're going to break the rules, don't be a dumbass about it.
Quote by rosswigley89
^ Yeah, I'd like to know more about that. Does it really turn to mush? Just how loud is it at 4? I'd be using it mostly for fun, not gigging or anything.

You won't have much fun with a 60W tube in amp in your house. It's VERY loud. The Supersonic is a professional gigging amp. Are you thinking of putting a combo inside an isolation box? If volume at home is that big a deal, this is probably a poor amp choice for you.

For similar versatility and cost, but much more control over volume, maybe check out the Mesa Express series. They switch down to 5W, which should give you great tone at reasonable volume.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You won't have much fun with a 60W tube in amp in your house. It's VERY loud. The Supersonic is a professional gigging amp. Are you thinking of putting a combo inside an isolation box? If volume at home is that big a deal, this is probably a poor amp choice for you.

For similar versatility and cost, but much more control over volume, maybe check out the Mesa Express series. They switch down to 5W, which should give you great tone at reasonable volume.

5 watts is still loud as phuck whence cranked I have an 8 watt tuber. With the volume knob pointing directly up, you can hear the amp on the street outside my house. To reach breakup, I'd be audible in my neighbors neighbors house.

I know very little about isolation cabinets. I got to play a Supersonic a couple hours ago, on quite low volume, and the cleans were AWESOME, while the drive channel was promising (at low volumes). Am I to understand that I can't just put this sucker through an iso cabinet, and get breakup that way, without blowing down the walls? I've been curious about this. Since tube amps are so God damned loud, WHO IN THE WORLD CAN ACTUALLY HAVE THEM REACH BREAKUP?! People in Idaho? Thank you kindly, sir.
I just picked one up a few weeks ago.

Good lord it's loud. The gain is pretty nuts for a fender, however, I don't agree with the V30 in the amp though. With a different speakers, the burn channel clears up nicely.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by forsaknazrael
I run mine through an attenuator, and attenuate it a bit, so it's not pissing anyone off, and then use a boost pedal to get power tube saturation.
Maybe you should look into an attenuator.

I've heard that unless you're overwhelming/saturating/whatever the speaker, you don't get true OD, therefore, an attenuator only solves one part of a two part problem in giving you true overdrive. Correct?

What about isolation cabs? I'll create a new thread for that inquiry. I played this amp yesterday, and the cleans, at low volumes, were AMAZING. I really think I'm going to buy one in a couple months. Thanks everyone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I run mine through an attenuator, and attenuate it a bit, so it's not pissing anyone off, and then use a boost pedal to get power tube saturation.
Maybe you should look into an attenuator.

Surely the boost would only give you preamp saturation?

^ As far as I'm concerned, the tubes overdriving is enough. Speaker distortion does help, but "true OD" can be reached by tubes alone.
Quote by cokeisbetter

^ As far as I'm concerned, the tubes overdriving is enough. Speaker distortion does help, but "true OD" can be reached by tubes alone.

Interesting, thanks.
Quote by cokeisbetter

Well, see, I run my amp pretty hard. Not full blast, but enough to where it would naturally break up a bit. Then I use my attenuator to attenuate it to...maybe jamming level. Just enough to piss off my neighbors. As long as you're not running your amp so it's...like 1 watt per speaker, I think - you won't notice a significant difference in tone/treble loss. Then I run an boost. Plenty of gain on my boost, so it does me good.

Quote by rosswigley89
I've heard that unless you're overwhelming/saturating/whatever the speaker, you don't get true OD, therefore, an attenuator only solves one part of a two part problem in giving you true overdrive. Correct?

What about isolation cabs? I'll create a new thread for that inquiry. I played this amp yesterday, and the cleans, at low volumes, were AMAZING. I really think I'm going to buy one in a couple months. Thanks everyone.

I've never used an isolation cab...But the deal with an attenuator is that because it lowers the volume, you can run your amp a little harder, so you can reach power tube saturation. Some people run it toooo hard, and their tubes life can be shortened, but if you know what you're doing, you're good.