i never realized there were so many girl bassists in here...

my point is... i rarely see one picking the bass, but almost all the girls that pick up a bass end up KICKING ASS with it, wouldnt you agree guys?... its creepy i think!

P.S. - Im not a girl...
No, I know a girl who picked it up but hasn't really been bothered with it.

But then again she could pick it up anyday and then become a master...

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
If you have determination and you are keen on playing an instrument I guess you will succeed. I don't think girls are more likely to play bass any better than lads are.

I'm not being sexist, just saying that if you love the instrument enough gender isn't a problem.
signature
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This is going to be closed like nobody's business...

I agree. I know a girl bassist who is really good, she's been playing for quite a while now and has a warwick corvette standard and shes stuck with it which is great.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The best bassist in our little town is a girl. She's been playing since she was like 8 or something. She really is amazing, but most of the guys are too timid or embarrassed to ask her to be in a band with them, which is lame.

I'd ask her to play in a band with me (if I wasn't already playing bass).
I always think its funny when a girl picks up a bass cause its too big for her.

Reminds me of myself...
Ehh... my sister tried for a while, but she sucked, or at least didn't put much work into it.
I have since uhh.... taken possession of her instrument, and that's how I started.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I have never seen a girl bassist. Not kidding. Ive seen guitarists, but never girl bassists.
The.
Remember, a while back, there was an exact thread like this and it was closed for being creepy?

And please, threadstarter, I'd like to see you pander a little harder next time. Kiss that ass until your lips chap.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hahaha this reminds me of this one time a friend of mine picked up my bass and said she like it cause it "felt good."
I just had to say that, but this thread is stupid, especially because there was just this exact thread.
im new here, i never saw a thread like this, so its not that stupid... just that no-one mentions any girl bass players and there are loads and loads who deserve acnowledgment!
Sirs... may I present to you Lydia on bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mO9UbWMycM

She's quite cool and can sing. Check her out.

oh... btw. This isn't a sexist remark, but I am amazed that she can play at all with nails that long. If mine go past 0.5mm I find it difficult.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Jun 19, 2007,
My girlfriend always messes around with my basses whenever they're around, but they're almost as big as she is so she has a hard time. She's only like 5'1" even though shes 17
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by properBo
I've seen loads of girl bassists, but I've never seen one slap properly. I don't get it.

The bassist in my old band was female... When she tried to slap, she basically strummed the strings with her thumb.

Quote by IndianRockStar
Girls have a REASON to play bass. Especially fingerstyle. If you get my drift.

Oh, my...

Heh...

Quote by thefitz
Remember, a while back, there was an exact thread like this and it was closed for being creepy?

And please, threadstarter, I'd like to see you pander a little harder next time. Kiss that ass until your lips chap.

Heh... That rhymed....

I find it amusing that in this thread, before anyone says something, they always seem to start with, "This isn't a sexist comment..."
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Geekis_Khan
I find it amusing that in this thread, before anyone says something, they always seem to start with, "This isn't a sexist comment..."

It's the truth though, innit? As soon as someone mentions being a girl or a guy, they immediately say they aren't sexist. Since when mentioning that someone is a girl sexist? Man, just like when people say "he's a black guy... I don't mean to be racist or anything". What the hell?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Sexist (def.) Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

Ok now that we have that all defined out. I can't speak for the rest of the bass players out there who happen to be femaile, but I for one, think would be nice if someone said, gee "anarkee's a solid bassist" without putting a reference to my gender in there. Unfortunately, while we remain a minority in the player pool, its sadly inevitable.

Thankfully, for the most part, its gotten beyond the "wow, she's really good...for a girl...". And as a recent thread showed, women are making some significant inroads in the professional world.
Whenever there's a minority in any field, it'll be mentioned when talking about a person in that field and from that minority. There aren't that many female bass players so it tends to be noticed when there is one. I agree that the "she's good for a girl" thing is sick and sexist, but the other stuff is just the way it goes, and that probably won't change. I don't really think it's sexist, though, because it's not saying males are superior to females (which is how I define sexism). BUt I can understand how one might get annoyed after a while.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I do know three though... Karen Cuda of Nashville Pussy, Paz Lenchantin (is hot) of A Perfect Circle and Queens of the Stone Age, and Carol Anne Schumacher of Reigning Sound and Detroit Cobras.

They're not bad either.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
I've never heard ya play anarkee so i cant say that.

but there's only one female bassist around my town, and she can play pretty good from what i've heard from other people, havent heard her play myself though.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by DesolationRow0
i never realized there were so many girl bassists in here...

my point is... i rarely see one picking the bass, but almost all the girls that pick up a bass end up KICKING ASS with it, wouldnt you agree guys?... its creepy i think!

P.S. - Im not a girl...

there is a thread !!
Go check out D'arcy of the Smashing Pumpkins...well... the 90's Pumpkins. She's pretty amazing. They have had three female bassists which I think I quite awesome.
$$Big Papa$$

i love my Zune...

Smashing Pumpkins-September 28 Utah
Quote by mc7113
Go check out D'arcy of the Smashing Pumpkins...well... the 90's Pumpkins. She's pretty amazing. They have had three female bassists which I think I quite awesome.

Dude, this thread was done a month ago.
Quote by Cody_Grey102