Specifically on Panama or any type song, what pickup could get me that sound?
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Well, I believe that EVH put a PAF Humbucker into his Strat.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Seymour Duncan 78 model for Evenly Voiced Harmonics(Custom shop only)
Bare Knuckle VH2
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
Dimarzio Norton

...and a cranked Plexi.

The main thing for pickups for the brown sound is nothing too hot, DC resistance should be below 10k and output should be "vintage hot" rather than "hot".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow, somebody knows their stuff.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Wow, somebody knows their stuff.

Hey, I have the internet...that means I potentially know everything
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Bare Knuckle VH2
Dimarzio Norton

...and a cranked Plexi.

The main thing for pickups for the brown sound is nothing too hot, DC resistance should be below 10k and output should be "vintage hot" rather than "hot".

You are the man. Obviously, you know your sh!t!! The cranked non-master volume plexi w/ moderate output PAF-style is the key.
The only thing I'd add to the list is a Mojave Amp Works pickup. Victor Mason at MAW (he's also the founder of Plexi Palace) has dedicated huge amounts of time to re-creating the brown sound. I have one of his pickups (semi-hot PAF style) that is the best pickup I've EVER heard, but they cost $189.00 US each. Well worth it, though.
The sound clips on the Mojave website are all done w/ Mojave pickups.

http://www.mojaveampworks.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I've got a few guitars, and the one that gets the sound easiest is the stock humbucker in a Schecter PT. I'm guessing it's a hotter than normal PAF clone but it works a treat, almost does it without trying. You don't want too much going on for a Van Halen tone, the sound needs to be able to breathe and that rules out any of the more modern, denser sounding pickups...you need a bit of air in the tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Bare Knuckle VH2
Dimarzio Norton

...and a cranked Plexi.

agreed.

I'd say alnico V, too.

but yeah.

Quote by steven seagull
Hey, I have the internet...that means I potentially know everything

Quote by riffhog
You are the man. Obviously, you know your sh!t!! The cranked non-master volume plexi w/ moderate output PAF-style is the key.
The only thing I'd add to the list is a Mojave Amp Works pickup. Victor Mason at MAW (he's also the founder of Plexi Palace) has dedicated huge amounts of time to re-creating the brown sound. I have one of his pickups (semi-hot PAF style) that is the best pickup I've EVER heard, but they cost $189.00 US each. Well worth it, though.
The sound clips on the Mojave website are all done w/ Mojave pickups.

http://www.mojaveampworks.com/

wow, i didn't know they made pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As said before, the best pickup for early VH stuff is the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 model. It's essentially a PAF with a little more winding for a slightly hotter tone. It's very vintage-sounding. All he did was put everything on 10 on his Plexi (including the EQ controls), and used a Variac to decrease the voltage on it, so it wouldn't overload. Mainly, he just played fucking hard.
Check out the Swineshead Runaway too, I have one and it's great for EVH stuff!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Holy Katana
As said before, the best pickup for early VH stuff is the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 model. It's essentially a PAF with a little more winding for a slightly hotter tone. It's very vintage-sounding. All he did was put everything on 10 on his Plexi (including the EQ controls), and used a Variac to decrease the voltage on it, so it wouldn't overload. Mainly, he just played fucking hard.

EVH's amp tech/friend Jose also made a dummy load box that he used most of the time (except the 2nd album). (Load box connects to amp speaker output). The load box had a line level signal output (line out) to
his flanger & Echoplex (I'm fairly sure his Phase 90 was before the amp), then into an H&H power amp. Otherwise, the noise levels from the Echoplex would've been INSANE. This is also why the flanger really affects the sound heavily.
I run my Mojave like this (it's basically a high-quality, boutique 50w plexi), & it RIPS.
I have a Variac, but the Mojaves have a power-damping feature, so it's not needed.

Yeah, & Eddie is a very heavy handed, aggressive player!

BTW- Dave, I didn't know Mojave made pickups either, til I called Victor & asked how he recorded the sound clips. Word is out now! (Bridge position only).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?