i have a question about when people refer to intervals as minor or major, ie minor third, major sixth. Minor indicates a half step down from the normal major 3rd, right?
Yes. When you flat a major interval you get minor.
When you flat a perfect interval, you get diminished.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You usually don't call something a "minor" interval. Major intervals refer to intervals that follow the major scale, flat intervals are intervals that are lowered a half step, you could apply the same sayings for sharp intervals, etc.

e.g Myxolydian mode has a major 3rd and a flat 7th.
Quote by CowboyUp
You usually don't call something a "minor" interval.

Yes, you do.. Mixolydian has a major 3rd and minor 7th. Where did you learn that?
Quote by CowboyUp
You usually don't call something a "minor" interval. Major intervals refer to intervals that follow the major scale, flat intervals are intervals that are lowered a half step, you could apply the same sayings for sharp intervals, etc.

Well, you wouldn't call the interval between C and Bb an interval of a flat seventh. You would call it a minor seventh.
To avoid confusion a lot of people say flat instead of minor

but classically speaking it is correct to call them minor and major intervals.
Quote by CowboyUp
Me = fail I guess.

It has a flat seventh scale degree compared to the major scale, but the interval itself would be called a minor seventh. So you weren't entirely wrong.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.