Page 1 of 4
I don't know how many of you have listened to classical music, and have thought "Dude, that would make a sweet metal song!"

I was at a school talent show, and there was a cello duet. I thought that their song would make a really sweet metal song if it were on guitar with a bunch of distortion. It had a nice rythm and everything, and was musical. But I wasn't thinking about some old guy conducting an orchestra, I felt METAL!

I know of a few metal bands that use classical music as inspiration, no wonder why. But what are some peices that I could transpose to make a sweet metal song? And what are any fellow UGer's thoughts on this?

I think that it was classical composers who first made metal, and then modern bands took it onto the guitar. So really, metal was invented my Mozart, Bach, and all those old guys. So next time you say classical music sucks, you better think a little more...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

EDIT: Nevermind, never read the whole post
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Jun 19, 2007,
Yup just look at Yngwie and Symphony X. Epic metal usually has at least some degree of a classical influence, from MoP era Metallica to Windir.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
I much prefer the Rite of Spring to Firebird.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
I much prefer the Rite of Spring to Firebird.

Yeh but Rite of spring would be hard to make metal.. I mean.. its scarey/tense as all hell due to all the pauses descreet build-ups to explosions etc. but I think it would be hard to make a flowing metal song.

na'mean?
I think it'd be possible but it'd take a much more skilled arranger to do it.
Founder of Jaco society

OUCH, you hear that E V H5150?
He says you're not as good as stravinsky.
BURN! you'll need some aloe for that one!
Hmm.. you could take Apocalypticas "Quutamo" and move it to guitar....
It could be cool.
But is anyone as good as Stravinsky?
Founder of Jaco society

Bach, Tchaikovsky, and Pachelbel (plus Deep Purple) on guitar live.

[/unnecessary self-advertising]

Like Ignore said, most everything metal borrows from classical. As does a majority of any music today (albeit to lesser degrees). Classical music basically laid the groundwork for most modern music as we know it, at least rock. Classical influenced jazz and blues, which no doubt lent themselves to almost everything rock.
I know what you mean, though, EVH: I can never listen to "Summer" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons without imagining it on dual guitars with a blistering drum track behind it. It might have something to do with the fact that the violin operates in much the same way as a guitar; or any stringed instrument. You could almost call Vivaldi the Malmsteen of his time. Both were incredible show-offs.
Quote by sinan90
I think it'd be possible but it'd take a much more skilled arranger to do it.

I agree with you there. I've never actually tried arranging a peice of music. But I will be taking some Music Theory classes that do deal with arranging. I plan to learn a lot more music theory, and possibly become a music teacher at the high school level. I still think it would be a pretty sweet thing to do. I happened to see some video of Yngwie playing with a large orchestra, but I thought the Cello duet was much more cooler, like having two dueling guitars or something.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I think I might do a jazz arrangement of some of the Rite of Spring, along with an all bass version of Dies Irae by Mozart. Hmmm I'm going to have fun once all my exams are over.
Founder of Jaco society

Mozart is Classical.

Most metalists prefer music like Bach's, which is Baroque.

Stravinsky is Neo-Classical, and would be rather hard to turn into metal.
hey someone answer my threads Q.

Quote by Satchel
I have made a bit of a sorta speed metal intro into a song, but no song yet?
I was wondering what chord progressions, key changing time changing or whatever the hell you guys think would make this a brutal speed metal song (doesnt necesarily have to be brutal, but speedy somewhat )

Heres the GP4:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bcmm43zxzlc

if ya need a .txt version lemme know i'll post one.

Cheers and thanks for any help anyone!
Quote by sinan90
I think I might do a jazz arrangement of some of the Rite of Spring, along with an all bass version of Dies Irae by Mozart. Hmmm I'm going to have fun once all my exams are over.

I tried something like this a little while ago. It didn't progress very far, but I still like the idea. Collaboration, perhaps?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Someone needs to start listening to Malmsteen and Symphony X.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Saying metal's roots are found in classical music is just an attempt to legitimize it and it's fans. Playing harmonic minor doesn't make you baroque and quoting Mozart on heavily distorted guitars doest not make classical "metal."

I find little correlation between metal music and any sort of classical.

Anyways some pieces that you might want to arrange are some of Rachmaninoff's preludes. Prelude in C# Minor(Can't recall opus #) or Prelude in G minor (op23-5). There are many more options depending on how many liberties you are willing to take.
Last edited by Erc at Jun 19, 2007,
Quote by Erc
Saying metal's roots are found in classical music is just an attempt to legitimize it and it's fans. Playing harmonic minor doesn't make you baroque and quoting Mozart on heavily distorted guitars doest not make classical "metal."

I find little correlation between metal music and any sort of classical.

Go back and read my post. Classical music pretty much inspired all music we hear today. It's just one of those things that's meant to come along and lay the foundation for everything in the future. There's little correlation between a jet plane and the wheel, but without the wheel you can bet there'd be no jet plane.
So no, metal isn't really like classical all of the time, but it is undoubtedly influenced by classical.
Go back and read my post. Classical music pretty much inspired all music we hear today. It's just one of those things that's meant to come along and lay the foundation for everything in the future. There's little correlation between a jet plane and the wheel, but without the wheel you can bet there'd be no jet plane.
So no, metal isn't really like classical all of the time, but it is undoubtedly influenced by classical.

Wow I didn't know I'd have to mention something so glaringly obvious. Of course classical music set the foundations and developed modern western harmony but since that is universally applicable (within the boundaries of western music...theres another obvious distinction for you) it is completely irrelevant to a discussion on specifics. In this way (foundational harmony) it correlates to all and therefore correlates to none (within the boundaries of this discussion).

Happy?
Quote by Erc
Wow I didn't know I'd have to mention something so glaringly obvious. Of course classical music set the foundations and developed modern western harmony but since that is universally applicable (within the boundaries of western music...theres another obvious distinction for you) it is completely irrelevant to a discussion on specifics. In this way (foundational harmony) it correlates to all and therefore correlates to none (within the boundaries of this discussion).

Happy?

Yes. That's all I meant.

I think I'll go wallow in a corner now and weep.
Quote by Erc
Oh great, now I feel bad ^_^

No, don't. You were actually mostly right, and my argument was rather lacking in the... well... arguing department. Besides, your words were like poetry:
Quote by Erc
In this way (foundational harmony) it correlates to all and therefore correlates to none

It was very beautiful.
Basically, I think I had somewhat of a point, but was severely incapable of providing anything to help me prove it. I realized in the middle of my post to you that I really was on the wrong track.
No hard feelings.
Quote by psychodelia
I tried something like this a little while ago. It didn't progress very far, but I still like the idea. Collaboration, perhaps?

On what? Rite of Spring? I'd be happy to just need to decide on the combo, I was going to try and arrange it for the small jazz group I'm in at school, so basically piano sax, guitar and bass. Drums don't count for arrangements
Founder of Jaco society

Trans-Siberian Orchestra is as metal as it gets. Especially in concert. Its freaking awesome.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Quote by Satchel
Yeh but Rite of spring would be hard to make metal.. I mean.. its scarey/tense as all hell due to all the pauses descreet build-ups to explosions etc. but I think it would be hard to make a flowing metal song.

na'mean?

Its amazing to see how much the old greats and legends were so much better than stravinsky and other modern classical compsers... In that firebird clip, can you remember one melody, or riff? nope... what about in Mozarts, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik... hell yes
DUN da dun da dun da dun dun dun!
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Erc
My thoughts exactly. Just because you take the soprano melody of a four-part classical composition and accompany it with power chords doesn't really make it classical at all, considering counterpoint and voice leading - two mammoth components of classical - are abandoned.
Quote by SethMegadefan
Go back and read my post. Classical music pretty much inspired all music we hear today.

& monkeys banging on sticks & rocks pretty much inspired all classical music so we are even
Quote by Devon8822
Its amazing to see how much the old greats and legends were so much better than stravinsky and other modern classical compsers... In that firebird clip, can you remember one melody, or riff? nope... what about in Mozarts, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik... hell yes

Hey, don't knock modern composers. There's plenty of modern music besides the neoclassical style.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Devon8822

I can, perhaps you don't enjoy it as much so you don't remember. People generally remember songs they either love or absolutely detest.
Founder of Jaco society

I wouldn't say he was a metalhead, but he sure rocked peoples worlds.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
my guitar teacher did a bach piece with bass drums, and guitar. Loaded it with distortion
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
My friend is arranging Symphony of Psalms by Stravinsky for guitar, it sounds pretty cool so far.

And yes, classical/baroque/romantic composers came up with some surprisingly 'heavy' stuff.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
There was a classical composer who wrote music that was almost exactly like metal today, he made a bass so large it took 2 people to play and had many low sounding instruments along with the blues note (going C to f# and the like)

I forget his name but he was in this
Page 1 of 4