Page 1 of 3
I'm tryin' to look for good progressive rock bands because in almost every progressive band there's an awesome bassist. For example, they're always keeping beat with the drummer and playing notes all over the neck, which is what I like in progressive rock or even metal , such as Between the Buried and Me. Between the Buried and Me's bassist is incredibly good and always backs up the drummer. Just wanted to find some good progressive bands to listen to.
Yes - Chris Squire is the bass player, awesome tone from his Ric.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Essentially ANY prog rock band that is somewhat popular has a good bassist. I think it defines the genre.

YES
KING CRIMSON
ELP
RUSH
DREAM THEATRE
QUEEN (early stuff)
PINK FLOYD
TOOL (do a degree)
GENESIS

The list could go on forever.
this isn't prog rock its metal but great bass player
problem with dream theater is he plays a 6 string pricy bass :*(
look as blood runs black
Quote by sinan90
Yes - Chris Squire is the bass player, awesome tone from his Ric.

I'm like inlove with him (omg11)

Anyway, I don't want to mention bands that other people have, so theirs another band, quiet unknown, and unbelivably good (Great bass too).
Camel.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by rcbass
this isn't prog rock its metal but great bass player
problem with dream theater is he plays a 6 string pricy bass :*(
look as blood runs black

Ooh, the lovely MusicMan, even the OLP version looks sweet.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i think the bassist from coheed and cambria is pretty good and they are like border line prgressive i think but im not sure
Tool, The Mars Volta, King Crimson, Rush, Dream Theater, Mastodon, Iron Maiden (They have to more progressive stuff, me thinks)...
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Ooh, the lovely MusicMan, even the OLP version looks sweet.

His sig's a yamaha...
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
His sig's a yamaha...

Yep, it is. I looked at one at a pawn shop for US$400. Good deal, but I had no use for it.
Rush, Yes, Muse, Pink Floyd, Dream Theatre
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Primus????not sure if they fit in there
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
but thats not progressive... neither is muse... i forgot to mention opeth, they also have a great bass player, check out "To rid the disease" of Opeth, its a really simple but great bassline!
Define Prog Rock

@desolation: Muse are (save Starlight and Invincible and i apologise for those ones, there was a terrible mix up in the recording studio )
Quote by IndianRockStar
Essentially ANY prog rock band that is somewhat popular has a good bassist. I think it defines the genre.

YES
KING CRIMSON
ELP
RUSH
DREAM THEATRE
QUEEN (early stuff)
PINK FLOYD
TOOL (do a degree)
GENESIS

The list could go on forever.

Man, do you listen to Pink Floyd? Roger has many completely uninspired basslines.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
Man, do you listen to Pink Floyd? Roger has many completely uninspired basslines.

I wouldn't go as far to say that. He has some pretty good basslines every now and again. Astronomy Domine, Money, Have a Cigar are the few off the top of my head. But you are right for the most part, he is a pretty bland bassist.
Porcupine Tree has some sweet basslines, including a half-harmonic intro to "Hatesong." He even uses a fretless at times. =D
Quote by the_hoople
I wouldn't go as far to say that. He has some pretty good basslines every now and again. Astronomy Domine, Money, Have a Cigar are the few off the top of my head. But you are right for the most part, he is a pretty bland bassist.

Roger's strength is in his song writing and not his bass playing. His basic bass lines were the perfect compliment to David Gilmoure's guitar and Rick's keyboards. If you play enough Floyd, his lines (esp. after Ummagumma) follow some rather predictable licks and style. If you want to hear a more creative take on Floyd with a good bass player, check out Les Claypool's take on Animals.

However, Astonomie Domine is one of my favorite basslines and Money is just almost a bass player given at some point.

For prog rock, Chris Squier, Tony Levin and Geddy Lee come to mind. My husband would probably add Greg Lake, but I despise ELP.
Shake your finger all you want, but "Welcome now my friend, to the song that NEVER ENDS!!" pretty much sums up ELP in a nutshell for me. I must have heard Brain Salad Surgery enough in HS to make my own brain go leafy I am much more of a Yes, Crimson and original Genesis (Peter Gabriel era) 1970s prog fan.

Ok, Greg Lake gets the gold star for being a prog bassist, but that isn't going to make me love Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
Dream Theatre's John Myung is a god, I think he even has his own bass lesson on progressive bass. I'm not sure though.
dream theater is pretty good. a band called spiral architect makes their stuff sound like childs play.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Sharif90
i think the bassist from coheed and cambria is pretty good and they are like border line prgressive i think but im not sure

Good eye. Mic Todd is an incredible bassist and a massive Rush fan (so much so that he actually uses a Geddy Lee J sometimes. He really knows when to play awesome stuff and when to keep it simple and it was only when whatching some of their live videos that I realised how much he improvises and doublethumps.

He's such an amazing bassist it's actually not funny.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Page 1 of 3