Page 1 of 3
Hey.

I used to play a lot of Lamb of God, but i'm getting tired of it. So i wanted to ask, if anyone knows some great metal/metal-like music in Drop D? It doesn't have to be fast and technical, as long as it is fun to play.

(I hope this is the right place to post).

Thanks guys.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 320 Ltd.
Line 6 Spider II Amp 30 Watt
Pantera used Drop D a lot, if I remember correctly... either that or D standard, but I think they used both. And Avenged Sevenfold, if you like metal-core.
Quote by ph3n0m
Psycroptic come to mind. Fast and technical, yet fun to play.

Shoosh!
pretty much every band ever has experimented with drop D, especially metal bands, so just search around.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
three days grace?

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no

pantera, as mentioned above is the only one i can think of at the the moment
i may be wrong, but i think this love is in drop d.

also Demon of the fall by Opeth is in drop d
trivium. i am SO gonna get flamed for that. But a few songs off their first album is in drop d...like pillars of serpents, relatively easy but fun to play...and the whole of ascendancy is in D.
And im pprreeetttyyy sure protest the hero is in d...not 100% though. And tool (Duh) and...Dir en Grey, does some pretty good D stuff...children of bodom used to do D standard stuff...All that remains uses D standard..'Tallica did some stuff in D standard (the thing that should not be) and Project 86 does D ALL the time. And that's all i know of off the top of my head
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
trivium, godsmack, black label society (a couple songs in drop d and drop d, down a whole step), shadows fall
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
walk by pantera is in drop d
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by Sn^ke
When did Trivium and Lamb of God become Metal?

Trivium became metal when Matt Heafy stole Jaymz's voice.
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
Quote by Sn^ke

Lamb of God is pure true metal, plain and simple.
I don't know about "Fear of Tomorrow", but all of the "Terror Squad" album by Artillery is in drop D. It's not their best stuff, really (the best stuff is in standard tuning, imo, the "By Inheritance" album) but "Terror Squad" has a lot of good tech riffs.
Quote by Sn^ke

Thank god someone else said it.

Three Days Grace and Shadows Fall, etc.

ARE NOT METAL!!!!!!

Go to www.wikipedia.com and search "heavy metal" and it will give you the correct definition. Be sure to read the WHOLE thing to have an understanding.

As for Drop D, not a lot of metal bands use it. But some grunge bands do, such as early Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.
Quote by d00diseeyou
three day grace is Drop C i thought?

devil wears prada? their hardcore with some metal influence.

Three Days Grace, the first album at least, is drop Db.

As for other metal - TOOL. Go play Jiambi off 10,000 days. That song's a blast.
Wikipedia? Isn't that the site that Cradle Of Filth was listed as "Vampyric Metal" on?

Just saying. Those bands are metal. Watered down mainstream metal, but metal nonetheless.

Don't say hardcore. I will destroy you if you say hardcore.
lawl at teh ansers

And I don't know much metal (I.E. not half of the bands mentioned in this thread) in drop D, maybe go down to drop C? Should open some more doors
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Godsmack does a lot of drop D. Most of the stuff I play is in drop D, basically every band on Roadrunner United's site uses drop D.
Quote by fee-oh-nix

No it as well as the new one is a mixture of Drop D and Drop C.
Quote by fee-oh-nix

TOOL IS NOT METAL!

Although they are good.
Quote by munit
No it as well as the new one is a mixture of Drop D and Drop C.

Ah yea you're right - Drown is C isn't it? Hadn't played it in such a long time.

To the threadstarter - why so opposed to tuning up to standard or down to Db/C? You'd have a lot more to choose from.
Quote by i am the robots
Wikipedia? Isn't that the site that Cradle Of Filth was listed as "Vampyric Metal" on?

Just saying. Those bands are metal. Watered down mainstream metal, but metal nonetheless.

Don't say hardcore. I will destroy you if you say hardcore.

They ARE hardcore.

And anyone can edit wikipedia, so some retard probably put Cradle of Filth under some retarded genre. They're not even metal to begin with. They just suck.

GO LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN PEOPLE
Quote by Metal Massacre
TOOL IS NOT METAL!

Although they are good.

Yes sir Mr. Wikipedia. I say it's metal, and wikipedia is a site run by people who modify the text. Is that reliable for you to quote? Aside from that, there are different kinds of metal. Just becuase it doesn't sound like f*cking Slayer doesn't mean it's not metal.... I loathe slayer..

No I'm not bitching at you - I just curse when I talk. Normally I wouldn't put this stupid disclaimer here, but apparently nobody on UG can take a f*ckin joke anymore. So this is me letting you all know not to be offended by my dry sense of humor.
Quote by i am the robots

Yes. Half of those genres are made up by 14 year old kids who dont know anything.
Quote by Metal Massacre
They ARE hardcore.

And anyone can edit wikipedia, so some retard probably put Cradle of Filth under some retarded genre. They're not even metal to begin with. They just suck.

GO LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN PEOPLE

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4184683338136646463&q=wake+the+dead+comeback+kid&total=125&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Yeah, those bands sound a lot like this.

Think for a second. Genre is defined by sound, not scene.

Lamb Of God is a Pantera worship band. Pantera is metal.
Iron Maiden? Jesus man, those guys are f*ckin antiquated. They've got skill, but they sound exactly the same as they did 20 years ago. What's exciting about that? If I wanna hear the same old un-evolving sh*t as before, I'll go put on Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and call it a night.
Congrats to the genre whores for making this thread what it is now. You could of just suggested him to go to the electric guitar forum and it would of been done and over with.
Quote by fee-oh-nix
Yes sir Mr. Wikipedia. I say it's metal, and wikipedia is a site run by people who modify the text. Is that reliable for you to quote? Aside from that, there are different kinds of metal. Just becuase it doesn't sound like f*cking Slayer doesn't mean it's not metal.... I loathe slayer..

No I'm not bitching at you - I just curse when I talk. Normally I wouldn't put this stupid disclaimer here, but apparently nobody on UG can take a f*ckin joke anymore. So this is me letting you all know not to be offended by my dry sense of humor.

Wiki's gather their information 100% through user input. This means all references in an argument are void. I'd also steer clear of quoting Wikipedia in school and university essays.
Quote by Sn^ke
I lol'd

Well you can listen to metal all you want, that doesn't make Lamb of God un-metal. If you don't think lamb of god is metal you have not listened to much of them.
Quote by GhostofSanity
Congrats to the genre whores for making this thread what it is now. You could of just suggested him to go to the electric guitar forum and it would of been done and over with.

NEWSFLASH: GENRES EXIST

I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Genres are not blanket terms to be thrown on bands derogatorily either. They're meant to be used as a categorization. It really helps when somebody asks, I'd like some metal along the lines of Pantera, then people could recommend stuff like Lamb Of God or Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster or something.
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Strapping Young Lad - Detox
Dream Theater - Home
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Page 1 of 3