i am a beginner guitar player and i want to buy a simple effects pedal. i want one that i can just switch from distortion to clean, or maybe distortion to another effect, like mulit effects, in one press of a pedal. i don't really understand all of the techniqal terms so i am having trouble finding one. im not sure if what i am looking for is more than one device/pedal. namely an example for what im looking for would be something like in the AFI song "love like winter" where on the chours it is distortion (overdriven?) then it briefly switches to an echoey sound (tremelo?) then back again. i only have a distortion switch on my amp and would like hopely just to get one pedal for right now to add somemore effects that sound good so i can play that song among others.

what am i looking for? price isn't too big of a problem.

i have a fender strat with a small fender frontman 15G

sry for posting this more than once, i just wasn't getting a reply.
Get a digitech rp200a its pretty cheap and has quite alot of effects but their not really that good but it has decent distortion.
Or if you just want distortion get a metal muff with top boost or a boss metal zone.
thanx, is there anything that has distortion and echo, maybe a few other effects in a single pedal (something like boss DD-6 digital delay pedal) that i can tweak?
well, the echo is called reverb, atleast, i think thats what your talking about. And if you want something that can switch from distortion to clean, or vise versa, you just want a distortion pedal. To start you off, just get a BOSS DS-1. Its good pedal for a noobie because it's somewhat versatile and its only about 40 bucks.
Amp
Champ 300

Guitar
Epiphone les paul classic

Pedals
MD-2
DD-3
Crybaby from hell
Digitech Whammy

Founder of the "Rock and Roll will never die but if it does,
I'm sure as hell going to bring it back
" club.

PM me to join.
so i could probably use a Boss DS-1 and Boss RV-5 Reverb to switch from distortion to echo (reverb)? would i just connect them together or would i need anything else?
Quote by cocoa_beach85
so i could probably use a Boss DS-1 and Boss RV-5 Reverb to switch from distortion to echo (reverb)? would i just connect them together or would i need anything else?

what you do is connect the pedals together with a 4/6 inch cable that you can pretty much buy at any major guitar store. You guitar goes into the input side of the pedal, the the 4/6 inch cable goes into the output of that pedal and into the input of the otehr pedal. Then you need another longer power chord to connect to our amp so its looks like this

Guitar - PowerChord - pedal - inch cable - Pedal - PowerChord - Amp.
Amp
Champ 300

Guitar
Epiphone les paul classic

Pedals
MD-2
DD-3
Crybaby from hell
Digitech Whammy

Founder of the "Rock and Roll will never die but if it does,
I'm sure as hell going to bring it back
" club.

PM me to join.
Quote by cocoa_beach85

Reverb and echo = not the same. Echo is... echo, and reverb is the sound you'd get if you were playing in a big empty room.

^It's not chord, it's CORD!
if you're thinking about buying all those boss pedals,

just get the ME-50.

as a noob you dont wanna be blowing chunks of cash on loads of separate pedals.

you should be set for at least a few years with this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME50-Guitar-Multiple-Effects?sku=151304

edit: forgot to add, that it's ridiculously simple to use.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live