I'm always having this arguement with my band. We all think our instruments part in a song takes the longest to learn. Although I'm pretty split up between lyrics/singing and guitar (I know lyrics aren't an instrument).

Sometimes it can take me a good few hours if I have to learn a long song with a lot of different sections and a long solo, by ear. I remember it took me bloody ages to learn all of stairway to heaven.

Our singer thinks he has the hardest job, but I think if you listen to a song with the lyrics infront of you and sing along with it, it doesn't take that long. Our drummer thinks he has the hardest job because he says there are so many different beats to learn in a hard song that it takes ages. But I still don't think it can take as long as learning a hard guitar solo, along the rest of the song, without tabs or music sheets.

So which instruments part do you think is the hardest to learn?
guitar with all the ear transcriptions insane guitar solos and what not you have a lot on your plate especially with all the different techniques to learn and tunings
Originally posted by str84ever
Since you are playing metal and from what i know about guitars which is not alot

the pointer the guitar the better it is for metal

problem solved.
It depeneds on the friggin song..
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
it definately depends on the song but i'd say singing on the whole. it takes me forever to remember the words.
lyrics, for the most part, arent too hard. i realize there a lot of exceptions to this rule
yeah, it depends on the song. I always say no instrument is harder than the other, it's just how you play it. but yeah I'd say either the drums or the solos for the guitar in a song like...well anything by protest the hero or somethin' like that...that craps HAARRD. singing's pretty hard too if the singer has a high pitched voice or major vibrato going on
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
guitar is always hardest cause its the main instrument imo besides singing i dont think drums or bass is nearly as hard
guitar is easy, especially solos.... i could never see myself lerning a song for drums fast... it takes me forever.... so i mainly stick to guitar
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

Quote by interCourse
guitar is always hardest cause its the main instrument imo besides singing i dont think drums or bass is nearly as hard

That was an orgy of ignorance.
bass is hard if ure playing it by ear cos it is usually hard to hear, but on the lyrics side of it, it depends how good ure memory is. I think Drums can't be that hard because there arent many things to hit but guitar it is hard to decide which note is which-if u are doing it by ear- but again it depends mostly on which song u are playing
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Dumb question. Why would it depend on the instrument on how hard it is to play, and not the part that was written...
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Generally drums. At least us guitarists have tabs and pitches.
Then guitar solos. Decent bass. Riffs next. Bass. singer.lol
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Obviously I'm talking about the part that was written, al.

For all of you that say it depends on the song. The difficulty of lyrics to learn is reasonably consistant. And for everything else just take what you think is the average difficulty for the instruments part. I still say guitar, overall.

I don't like speed metal myself, but I couldn't even begin to imagine how long it would take to transcribe a long speed metal solo if you're not a guitar virtuoso yourself.
bassist
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
arguably the lyrics because of trying to get the right pitch in the song especially if there is alot of vocal pitch chaning

but of course all depends on the song
Quote by BassistGal

Agreed.

It also depends on the person.

Example: People with natural rhythm would be better drummers than some one without natural rhythm.
Quote by theduke92
That was an orgy of ignorance.

A hotbed, even.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
It depends. It also depends whether you have tabs, lyrics, etc... If you are doing it all by ear I think drum and bass are hard most of the time, because they aren't as loud soemtimes.
Quote by Kuula
Obviously I'm talking about the part that was written, al.

Well than how can guitar be harder than bass?? If anything a guitar is pretty ****ing simple of an insturment. Notes are layed out in a linear fashion, no lung power required, no pitch alteration with lips, small scale compared to a bass, big scale compared to a mandolin, 6 strings instead of something like 17 on a sitar, frets to tell you where to put your finger vs any fretless instrument. Relatively simple coordination required vs an instrument like a hurdy gurdy.

And you say lyrics are always somewhat consistent, but lyrics are lyrics and not an instrument. Vocals are an instrument though and they are no more consistent than any other instrument...

kapish?
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
I think you're off the plot completely there, al.

I'm basically asking what takes longer, on average: learning the lyrics (and how to sing the song), or learning the guitar, bass or drum part of a song. You're trying to overcomplicate it.

Bearing in mind you can learn lyrics just by listening to a song. I'm sure everyone knows the lyrics to all of their favorite songs. So I still think the singer has the easiest job in between band practice. The guitarist and bassist usually have a little more to learn.
It's ALWAYS the same no matter which song you hear..... noooooooooooot.
It depends on the genre. Usually, it's the guitar, but if it's jazz or metal, the drums will probaby be the hardest, if not the most physically demanding. If it's a funk song, the bass will be the hardest. If it's power metal, the vocals.
Quote by interCourse

No they all can be hard.... Depends on the style..... What about bands such as Tool, which have insane drum beats and bass lines, the guitar has the easy part.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I'd say triviums Drum parts are by far the hardest, as well as most metalcorey-thrashy nu metal bands, to me.

Guitar in something like dragon force.

Vocals are only hardest in extenuating circumstances...
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
once again Bassistgal is UG's fount of wisdom
everyone that said lyrics try always with you always with me.

nuff said eh.
depends on the song
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by BassistGal

Seriously. +1
Spastic Ink
Depends on song, probably guitar though. Drums are damn easy to tab, guitars a pain in the ass especially if it has a solo, and bass can be similar.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!