Basically.

I play a Yamaha Bass, 4-String - Nice Jet black...

Very metal looking.

Problem is... I've only been teaching myself Bass for probably... I'd say a good 1.5 years, maybe two now...

And I really wanna take a stab at some simple Metal/Rock/HardRock/Screamo songs. But I really don't know where to start - Being a sensible lad. I realise that although some songs sound simple - they may not be.

Anyways - Any suggestions, tips or advice?

Ps. Been bugging me.. I know I might get abused for this - 5-string/4-string - Am I right in saying that the only difference is the B string on the 5-String Bass? Allowing deeper notes? But the other four are the same as a standard 4? Meaning I can still play 4-String songs on a 5-string?

Cheers.

Feel free to e-mail my alternative e-mail - Jesus_Johnnie_Christ@hotmail.co.uk
Last edited by SirPsychoTheSex at Jun 19, 2007,
Been bugging me.. I know I might get abused for this - 5-string/4-string - Am I right in saying that the only difference is the B string on the 5-String Bass? Allowing deeper notes? But the other four are the same as a standard 4? Meaning I can still play 4-String songs on a 5-string?

You're correct in thinking this. Standard tuning for a 5-string is BEADG.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

To answer about the 5 string question.

Some 5 strings are tuned BEADG (low to high) and some are tuned EADGC (low to high). You can play all 4 string songs on a 5 string.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
my advice is to find a song that you want to learn, regardless of difficulty(within reason), find a tab/other form of music, and sit down and learn it. If its too fast up to speed, use a metronome and slow the tempo down until you can play it slow, then work it up as you get better at it. if you don't have a metronone, i strongly suggest getting one. Its kinda boring, but i guarantee, if you stick with it, that it will benefit you in the long run.
I would recommend avoiding tabs. They aren't often a great representation of what's being played and you learn a lot more by listening to the music and trying to transcribe it by yourself. Invest in a good pair of headphones and you'll soon find yourself asking why they choose to play that note over that chord, or whatever, and in doing so you'll learn a lot about how to put songs together.
Tabs are more of a stepping stone or guideline than the actual song. You can use them to help you, but without listening (the most important thing you can do!), you'll be lost. Anyway, I don't listen to much metal, but I do know Cliff and Steve Harris both can punch out some mean lines.
this may be a little difficult but lamb of god's bassist only uses a 4 string and he has a couple good riffs. just look at redneck & laid to rest. also the light that blinds by all that remains is a very easy song to listen to and transcribe