hey my local music dealer is sellin a marshall mg100fx for 350 usd
is this a good buy?
like i dont care if its tubed or not
i actually like the sound of this thing its pretty decent and gets real loud
but would it be okay to use for shows/recordings/practices?

i play hardcore/screamo styles of music in my band
thanx for any help
Search god damn it.

They're awful amps for the price, you can get something much better.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
NO.

And I'm not just saying that because it's "cool", I tried one last week, and it was pretty wretched. I was even using a nice guitar (Gibson SG). I just wasn't impressed at all.
Last edited by flamingmarble27 at Jun 19, 2007,
if you like it, get it. it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Most people, however, and me included, would say you're mad.

EDIT: your vox is probably a lot better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
name a good amp to get
ok i think thisll help
i play stuff along the lines of
From autumn to ashes
senses fail
underoath
matchbook romance

stuff like taht
and im only willing to spend
350-550 bucks on an amp
a halfstack is okay
a combo is pretty good
but what would be a good amp to get for that money??
you might want to wait a little until the Vox Valvetronix XL series comes out. theyre like the current valvetronix but can now handle more gain

EDIT: why dont you just save up more for now, what do you need a new amp for? you have a voxad100
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Vox AD50VT

or

Vox AD100vt if you can afford, great amps!

Better yet, do what the guy above me said.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
laney lc15
no one wants an mg seriously i have one its pish. I'm buying a tubeamp either a jcm900 or 2000 for around £350
probabley out of your price range but if you save up it will be worht it
^^ But why not just use your Vox? It's just as loud, with more features, more versatile, and way better sounding no matter what you play (unless it's poopcore).
Getting an amp for its sound is a lot better than buying it for its name. If you want a Marshall, you really want to avoid their low-end stuff, as there is better in the price range. And, that being said, your Vox will kick that Marshall's ass.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
it sounds like you basically want the mg for the mashall name. just because it says marshall doesnt mean its good
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by xbouncer927
i wanted a marshall
like i know they are good but i dont wanna spend 1500+ dollars on one
if i wanted to do that ill just buy a car

Ah. Well. The Marshalls that professionals actually use are all tube and quite expensive. The solid state MG just doesn't compare to them in any way- sound, quality, or value.
Quote by xbouncer927
i wanted a marshall
like i know they are good but i dont wanna spend 1500+ dollars on one
if i wanted to do that ill just buy a car

cheaper marshalls aren't good, and a car won't get you vintage marshall tone.

just get a peavey windsor or something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Selling that Vox was not a good move at all...you could've bought a pedal if you wanted more high gain tones...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
oh yeah, if you could, unless you like really high gain, whereas a Roland cube 60 or waiting for the new XL range from Vox to come out would be better moves, or as Dave said, try a peavey windsor- voiced around a JCM800 (one of the best marshalls) and have sliightly more gain
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia

Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Dave_Mc
cheaper marshalls aren't good, and a car won't get you vintage marshall tone.

just get a peavey windsor or something.

And vintage marshall tone won't get you from your house to your local club/bar/concert venue
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
And vintage marshall tone won't get you from your house to your local club/bar/concert venue

yeah, i know, that's why i recommended a windsor.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Stop writing
like you're
writing poetry or a
song
it's
not clever and it's
not pleasing to look
at
thank
you
if guitar playing is not priority in youre life than buy the cheap Marshall ,why care what ppl think if youre not so into it , if you were into it spending 1500$ on a wouldnt be that hard. I know a guy that sold his car to buy a Tube amp ( yep , crazy i know ) , now his got a company car and an insane rig . Bottom line , you get what you pay for (IMO)
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
^ true, if you aren't that into guitar, it doesn't make much sense spending $1500. That being said, there are amps around the same price as the MG which are a lot better, IMO.

Plus if you have nicer gear it can sometimes persuade you to play more (though that's quite a dodgy argument, if that's the only one you have, probably not worth it)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hint: ebay/used.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
A lot of people go on about how rubbish MGs are... but I have a MG100 (although I'm an all tube man now) and I used to get a really good metal tone from it...

For clean, it was pretty rubbish though...

Matt
Quote by Matt-EB0
A lot of people go on about how rubbish MGs are... but I have a MG100 (although I'm an all tube man now) and I used to get a really good metal tone from it...

For clean, it was pretty rubbish though...

Matt

hmm, I had the complete opposite experience with my MG100. I didn't care for the metal tone at all, I thought it was loose and buzzy. The clean on the other hand, as long as we are talking clean clean with no dirt, was usable for me. I don't play a lot of cleans though, I like a little dirt, which unfortunately I didn't like on the amp either. I don't think they bothered to improve anything when they slapped the Marshall name over the Park logo and jacked the pricetag.

Goes to show though, tone is soo subjective to the listener.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ i'm more with you there, erock- on my avt, clean up to around classic rock level of gain was usable, if unexciting... it's when the gain got higher that everything got muddy, harsh, and, well, crap.

Which'd be ok, if the market weren't flooded with 15-30 watt all-tube combos around the same price as the avt100 which'll do the low to medium gain thing better.

EDIT: i agree with tone being subjective, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you should have sold some of your guitars instead, i'd wait for a the vox xl's to come out