I'm in the market for a small 15 watt practice amp. I'll be using it mostly for metal but some versatility is always nice. Here is the Criteria:

-- MUST be 15 watts
-- Available in most stores (i.e. between Sam Ash and GC, one or the other probably carries it).
-- Assume you have NO PEDALS hooked up through it for effects.
-- At the very least it has to have nice distortion (but like I said, versatility is nice)

Other than that it's up to you. And just to note: money IS an object for me personally but I'm just curious what people will come up with here.
for metal.. a Valvetronics XL maybe? never tried them.

but for rock and blues an Epiphone Valve Standard is amazing!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Why does it have to be 15 watts?

Roland Microcube, it's only like 3 watts, but it packs a huge punch,
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Vox AC15. + a vox tube distortion pedal. only problem being that its better than almost any other amp ever..
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Why does it have to be 15 watts?

Roland Microcube, it's only like 3 watts, but it packs a huge punch,

Because it's my thread and those are the rules! Kidding...

I've actually heard great things about the microcube. Why do people seem to talk about those and the 30w Cube all the time but never the 15w cube?
The Vox ones are cool, Or u can get a small ibanez tube.
My Gear

Fender Strat 2 Tone Custom Paint
Vintage VRS 100
Zoom 505 Mk II Effects Pedal
Peavey Rage 258 TransTube Amp
Orange Crush Mini Amp
Quote by jeffcon0

I've actually heard great things about the microcube. Why do people seem to talk about those and the 30w Cube all the time but never the 15w cube?

The 15 is lame, that's why.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by jeffcon0

In a more detailed explanation to the rather crap analysis of the one above...

The cube 15 is the only amp in the cube series not to have the amp modelling- and the amp modelling is what makes the cube series so good. On it's own it's poor

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
In a more detailed explanation to the rather crap analysis of the one above...

The cube 15 is the only amp in the cube series not to have the amp modelling- and the amp modelling is what makes the cube series so good. On it's own it's poor

Makes sense. Thanks for the useful explanation rather than the "it's lame" response. Since everyone seems so against modelling amps, why is everyone so FOR the Cube 30w while so AGAINST the Line 6's?
Orange Tiny Terror...

15W all-valve amp...switchable to 7W.
simplicity is the name of the game...

just controls for gain, tone and volume...

sounds good when overdriven, and with an OD pedal, it'll scream.

my eyes are on one at the moment.

they are £300...so theoretically about $600...but these things are never as straightforward as that.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by jeffcon0
Makes sense. Thanks for the useful explanation rather than the "it's lame" response. Since everyone seems so against modelling amps, why is everyone so FOR the Cube 30w while so AGAINST the Line 6's?

Because the Cube's modeleing is how you say, "better"

Although the cube is better at metal and hard rock, it still has some pretty good cleans, something that is not found in the Spider.

And I'm glad you like my response
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
ummm, I think he wanted a simple practice combo amp (which is why he pointed out 15 so straightforwardly) so I doubt he is gonna want an orange head / cab. 15 watts cube is huge compared to ss watts, so I think your getting the wrong idea. I'd recommend the valvetronix XL just from what I've heard.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Quote by jeffcon0

Because they actually sound good and are durable.

www.myspace.com/jcwan

Everything on that "Shades of Grey" song was recorded with a cube. (Not my myspace.)
orange tiny terror for SURE is worth a look. also, theres that new Peavey Mini- Colossal amp which is a mini version of the JSX, Joe Satriani's sig. amp. i believe its 15 watts, but if its 5 im very sorry for being a douchebag
Blues Jr. has the smoothest creamiest tone out of all.
Crate Palomino has a little more gain, but noisier.
Orange Tiny Terror as that guy said is probably the 15w way to get a Marshall tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by edwardthegreat5
The 15 is lame, that's why.

But why?
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by fexnah
But why?

As explained above, no modeling, modeling is what makes cube good.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Marshall mg15cdsommit, they are pritty cool. Lotta hate for mgs here thou, lol.

MVL.
Let me just say something...a 15 watt valve amp is NOT a practise amp. Far too loud. You can use it for practising, but it's far from ideal.

A Vox AD15VT would be nice
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I have 2 vintage 5 watters - much nicer for home practicing... you can crank em' up (getting the FULL TUBE SOUND) and not blow the windows out or have the cops showing up.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by jeffcon0

Both sound digital, because they are effectively, cheap modelling amps.
However, the spider sounds like you're running through a digital amp, rather than a amp than sounds digital...it's weird to explain, but in essence, the cube just sounds a lot nicer
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
If you want the best tone get a 15 watt tube combo, There loud, but not too loud for practicing really.
Quote by ISM

MVL.

No. No! Bad boy. Down. I have one. It isn't the least bit cool.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
i want to suggest buying a blues jr and some kind of OD pedal (tubescreamer)
but since you said no pedals, the tiny terror would suit you more.

it has a pretty decent distortion, a wattage switch (15 to 7) so you'll be able to get OD at lower levels, though its a head so your gonna have to go get a nice cab.
Quote by redstripe
i want to suggest buying a blues jr and some kind of OD pedal (tubescreamer)
but since you said no pedals, the tiny terror would suit you more.

it has a pretty decent distortion, a wattage switch (15 to 7) so you'll be able to get OD at lower levels, though its a head so your gonna have to go get a nice cab.

Who makes the Blues Jr.?

EDIT: Nevermind. Yipes!!! $550
Last edited by jeffcon0 at Jun 19, 2007,
Either an Orange Tiny Terror...

or a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV running in Class A, Tweed Power, and Triode rectification. That is about 15watts, and will destroy most everything else.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Either an Orange Tiny Terror...

or a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV running in Class A, Tweed Power, and Triode rectification. That is about 15watts, and will destroy most everything else.

thats fifteen, i thought it was 30...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
thats fifteen, i thought it was 30...

Full power, it is 30. Roll back the Master, and put it in tweed, and I'm pretty sure it is running around 15.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
If money is no object then spend two grand on a Carr Mercury. It's a handmade tube amp that has a variable power setting so it can run at either 8 watts, 4 watts, 2 watts or 1/2 a watt. Essentially it has an attenuator built into its grid. Supposedly, you can run it at 1/2 watt and still get cascading gain. I believe it has a good 12' speaker and a good reverb too. Reviews rave about how noiseless yet gainy it can be even at the 1/2 watt setting. Keep in mind that it takes about 2 1/2 times the wattage of a solid state amp to equal the wattage of a tube amp. So the 8 watts of a Carr Mercury is like 20 watts in a solid state amp.
Last edited by gmsje at Jun 20, 2007,
Quote by ISM

MVL.

The only thing I could understand in that sentence was that you were suggesting an MG. MGs are some of the worst amps for the price that you can get, do not suggest them again.

Aaaaaanyway, I think the Orange is a good idea, has a nice Marshally crunch, but 550 USD for the head alone (and it sounds best with the spendy Orange cabs), yikes.

The Crate Palomino is also nice, but you will need an overdrive pedal to get metal gain out of it.

The Blues Jr will only do metal if you have a distortion pedal, which is not a good idea.
This thread is all over the place, largely because "15W" is so arbitrary. There's a huge difference in price, quality, and volume between a Tiny Terror and a Cube 15.

15W of tube is small gig power. Probably too loud for home use just about anywhere in Brooklyn. The Mini JSX that ikeyedyourcar8 mentioned is actually 5W, but will sound noticably louder than any of the 15W SS amps mentioned. It has a built in attenuator, too, so you can great tones at even lower volumes. It's pricey, but probably your best bet for a metal practice amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.