these are a few of the guitars i have built in the past year. beginning with a thinline hollowbody tele copy, i know...a copy, but its my dream tele. spalted maple top, bubinga and maple laminated neck through, with bubinga wings. ebony fretboard, black hardware, and fralin pickups.

next up is a steelstring jumbo acoustic. it has flame maple sides and back, a sitka spruce top, maple binding, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, ebony peghead overlay with a MOP inlay. ebony bridge and gotoh tuners.

this is a nylon string classical guitar, 650mm scale length. indian rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce top, spruceana binding. mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, ebony bridge, schaller classical tuners.

next is the archtop, with flame maple back and sides, sitka spruce top, maple neck, ebony bridge, tailpiece, pickguard, fretboard and peghead overlay. MOP inlay. finished in a vintage tobacco burst.

next to last is the custom 5 string fretless bass.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607590

last up is the prototype electric, seen here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606881

this is an overview of some of the guitars i have built over the last year.
Last edited by vjcustoms at Jun 19, 2007,
Wow, they are amazingly beautiful guitars. You are very, very skilled, and I hope they sound as amazing as they look.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Wow, those are simply amazing. Probably the best guitars I've ever seen in GB&C.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Nice. Link to this in your other threads and you might have a chance of selling that guitar you are trying to unload.

BTW, Do you still have the tele? Is it for sale/trade? If it plays half as good as it looks.

I also gotta wonder... what did the maple acoustic sound like? It looks nice, but it would take a really stiff top to be able to be braced like that and not sound tubby.

Hope to see a lot more of your stuff here.
Not taking any online orders.
Those are amazing. Incredible job.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by CorduroyEW
Nice. Link to this in your other threads and you might have a chance of selling that guitar you are trying to unload.

BTW, Do you still have the tele? Is it for sale/trade? If it plays half as good as it looks.

I also gotta wonder... what did the maple acoustic sound like? It looks nice, but it would take a really stiff top to be able to be braced like that and not sound tubby.

Hope to see a lot more of your stuff here.

why yes cord, i do still have the tele, but unfortunately for you, heh, its staying with me. thats one of my favorite guitars. the acoustic actually is the best acoustic ive ever played...in my opinion. i love the sound out of it, i learned to build at the Galloup School of Lutherie, and those are the specs they gave us. i am currently in the design/prototype stage for my own line of acoustics, which as you know take a bit of time, sooo.. maybe this winter they will be out.

thanks for the compliments man.
Dude. Those are the most incredible guitars I've seen in a while. That Tele is amazing, I wish I had one for myself.

Hats off to a job well done.
Wow.

Nice guitars. I hope you're doing that full time.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Mhmmm.. nice work man.

Care for some constructive criticism?

1. The burst on the archtop's neck seems a tad uneven on the headstock side. But that's pretty much nothing.

2. Maybe it's just an old luthiers ranting, but bookmatched wood on the back of the archtop would look better.

3. The tele's top, see it? If you'd veneer the headstock with some of that, it would look a whole lot better.

Apart from that - great job, keep it up.

EDIT: Ad. 2 - I mean - better matched.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
I disagree, I like the contrast of the body to the headstock. The back of the body is already beautiful, so seeing it come through on the front is cool. (in my opinion)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I disagree, I like the contrast of the body to the headstock. The back of the body is already beautiful, so seeing it come through on the front is cool. (in my opinion)

It's just a question of style and preference. It just clashes too much for my eyes. Nut hey, it's just my opinion.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Quote by binjajer
It's just a question of style and preference. It just clashes too much for my eyes. Nut hey, it's just my opinion.

I agree some more spalded on the head stock of the tele would have been devine!

I also hate beautiful wood being covered with a black pick guard. Go guardless on the tele and it would have been even better!

But over all your work looks awsome, very clean, very professional, nicely done!
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Jun 20, 2007,
you'll probably remember, your other thread with the singlecut, i said i wasn't overly keen. but those i love. all of them. i'd probably buy them all. and the tele. just wow! its amazing.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by binjajer
Mhmmm.. nice work man.

Care for some constructive criticism?

1. The burst on the archtop's neck seems a tad uneven on the headstock side. But that's pretty much nothing.

2. Maybe it's just an old luthiers ranting, but bookmatched wood on the back of the archtop would look better.

3. The tele's top, see it? If you'd veneer the headstock with some of that, it would look a whole lot better.

Apart from that - great job, keep it up.

EDIT: Ad. 2 - I mean - better matched.

thanks for the constructive criticism, the burst is actually even, once you pointed that out it looked pretty obvious so i went downstairs and checked it out, its faded like that on both sides, but the picture makes it darker on the treble side.

if i could go back, i would put an overlay on the peghead, i agree. either ebony or spalted would be amazing.

the back of the archtop, due to the carving, started out bookmatched, but when carved down, the figure changes.. but yeah

thanks for looking, and thanks for the criticism.
ALL HAIL vjcustoms' tele

Very nice work man
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
Great work man. Truly stunning.

The finish on each of them is amazing. Any chance you can tell us how to get a finish like that ourselves?
damn dude those guitars look amazing! tht tele is awesome i love the look of the headstock and the body! u did an amazing job with those guitars! how long have you been doing this? i wld love to play 1 of them and buy 1 sadly.........not enough money =p
FRO POWER!!!
Bloody hell, those are amazing. That telecaster is drop jaw beautiful, better than any fender i've seen. If you do go into business, sell the telecasters as they will be a hit I reckon. Nice work, they look ace.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
That's some excellent work man. I made a hobby of woodworking during high school and have continued to do little projects since. Now if I could ask a question...how did you learn to make such classy pieces? Any good sources \ books that I could purchase?
Ooh, nice! You should make an ES335-dimensioned guitar, but with a solid spruce top, no soundblock and solid maple back + sides. That would be so far superior to Gibson's laminate £2k ripoff.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Haha, I know this is a weird question, but is there any reason the ferrules for the strings on the back of the tele are grouped in 3 and 3?
Quote by DerekOddo
That's some excellent work man. I made a hobby of woodworking during high school and have continued to do little projects since. Now if I could ask a question...how did you learn to make such classy pieces? Any good sources \ books that I could purchase?

i cant personally recommend any books, i didnt really use any. i just went at it, and used the internet for some questions once in a while, but be careful with that, there are A LOT of sites on guitar building. some good, most bad. so read...read alot. after building a few, and then graduating high school i turned down some colleges for architecture and opted to go to the gallouip school of lutherie in michigan to refine my lutherie skills, i personally think it was worth it, but my opinion may be biased because of the cost of it. soo...
its a great and fun hobby to start into, just dont skimp on the quality of parts, because no matter how good the guitar is, if it has bad parts, it will be noticable.

Quote by Gymmeh
Haha, I know this is a weird question, but is there any reason the ferrules for the strings on the back of the tele are grouped in 3 and 3?

no real reason. just a slight twist on the original, not exactly the same.