Hey guys and gals
my band is in a jam right now.
I have been able to successfully record all aspects of our music except for our drums.
every time we set to record drums, we play it back and get very nasty results.

I need advice, any special or decent equipment i need to record drums that wont sound like s*** when i play it back.
wat my band does, is we use some sm-51's i think for like the toms and hi-hat, and that small stuff, and a bass drum mic for of course the bass drum and use a condensor mic as an overhead mic, and have all the mics run to the pa system and have that run to our computer, and adjust the volume of each section on the pa til and record and playback till our very precise drummer is satisfied.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_('') aww

RATM_Rocha wrote:

I hate Gun"n"roses and i hate velvet revolver, there emo music, ew.

^ lmao wat a retard ^

Plan-C page
yea we got lucky obtaining the plethora of mics we have, but he gets pretty dang good results
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_('') aww

RATM_Rocha wrote:

I hate Gun"n"roses and i hate velvet revolver, there emo music, ew.

^ lmao wat a retard ^

Plan-C page
Quote by ygokazuki
I would get a drum mic pack and a firewire interface.

how much would that cost?
Quote by killer klown
how much would that cost?
about 200 for mics and 400 for the interface
yea get a drum mic pack, they are well worth it if you get a good set.
also an interface with enough inputs for the drum mics and vocal mics would be great but keep in mind they are pricey...
you also don't want to go cheap on those units though.

The firepod is a great fire wire interface

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREPOD-10Channel-FireWire-Interface-with-Cubase-LE?sku=184131
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 21, 2007,
Well i'm gonna say what many have said before me...

use two condensor mics for overheads
use an sm-57 or other dynamic mic for the snare, at a 45 degree angle
use a dynamic or condensor mic on the kick

anything else is optional but use dynamic mics for toms
Depending on what your aiming for and how well tuned, and balanced the kit his, by properly positioning two overheads you should be able to capture a very full stereo image of the entire kit. From there close micing any particular drums which you would like to stand out is the next step. If you don't have a lot of experience micing drums, dealing with a lot of mics can cause more problems than it's worth. Starting out small is the best way to really get a good job done.
Hi. for our recording we used the studios 2 mics what we usually sing into to record the drums. It could sound better but i think it sounds alrite. they were shure sm57 and 58. click on this link to listen an see what you think.

www.myspace.com/bluecollars its called back to the grove. let me know what you think.
www.myspace.com/bluecollars

My Gear
Fender telecaster deluxe 72
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall JCM 800 100w head
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600