So, i havent had much experience with higher wattage tube amps, but shouldent a 60w tube amp a bit too loud for home use?

i have the thing on 1 o'clock and its just the perfect volume for me at home and it doesnt sound too loud.

is something wrong with it? or do i just prefer loud levels?

or did i just expect too much, thinking it was going to be this insanely loud beast?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Jun 19, 2007,
whoaaa. i was thinking 1/10 but uh... yeah 1 o'clock is too loud for my bedroom with my vj.

dying tubes?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
dunno, i'm gonna have to ask my uncle when the last time they were changed.

it just seems odd that i'm playing at over half the volume and its just starting to hit that point where it gets too loud.

well, i mean, its too loud for me at home at 1 oclock when the 'rents are in, i play it at about 10 oclock then, but still?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
yeah... that's def not normal ha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

well, according to my uncle it hasnt really been played in a few years.

i wonder if it is dying tubes how it will sound with new ones in there, it already sounds fucking great.
hm interesting. if it sounds great then maybe that's not it... ah man. i hate broken amps. rarely know exactly what's wrong with them...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

yep, did you ever get your VJ fixed?
haha, nope. i cleaned off an oxidized fuse holder and it seemed to work perfectly. then after 2 minutes it pops, squeals and fizzes. still works, but after 12o'clock it still just shuts off...

dunno when i'm getting a new amp either
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
haha, nope. i cleaned off an oxidized fuse holder and it seemed to work perfectly. then after 2 minutes it pops, squeals and fizzes. still works, but after 12o'clock it still just shuts off...

dunno when i'm getting a new amp either

at least after 12 o'clock is too loud for bedroom use
yeah that's true.

but...
*buzzkill alert*
it's in my garage where it's not too loud to crank it, provided studio headphones

and i just want some super saturated tubess... aghgh.

get your volume fixed on behalf of us od-challenged fools!
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

heh, the only downside about this amp, i've gotten the clean channel up to about 2-3 o'clock and it still doesnt break up, and its the gain knob acting as the volume knob, but its still super clean.

But the clean tone is so nice, dare i say, Twin like

but it sweetens up when i crank the crunch channel and i get so much ringing sustain.

alright, i think i'm going to play guitar now
haha, change your underwear buddy

what amp is it again? i wanna say peavy classic 30.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
haha, change your underwear buddy

what amp is it again? i wanna say peavy classic 30.

Ampeg VT-60
I have a 50w tube. i got the cops here jamming at "11" so i don't do that anymore. but my room has the ****tiest acoustics ever it makes everything sound like balls. anyway i jam at like 2 :P
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
it depends on the speaker break up of the amp, and also volume jump on the amp. on my mark IV the jump from dial at 1 to 2(not o clocks) makes my room shake. This is in its 30 watt mode too. afterwards it just pushign power tubes
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hey, Unsigned, you should send your VJ's board to kerry, or at least ask him. Maybe he can figure it out.

i asked him before and he hasn't a clue. wouldn't wanna really bother him with it again. i will when i'm completely flustered out of my mind with it though haah.
Quote by igotabcrich32
Ampeg VT-60

ah, see i wasn't sure if you've had that one for a while or not... oh well.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

i've had it for a bout 2 weeks or so, its not techinally mine, but i might buy it if i dont end up buying a Delta Blues or a Blackface Showman in a store down the street from me.
really? seems a lot longer than 2 weeks ha.

wish i could put some input into deciding, but i haven't seen any of those amps in person :/
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I'm wondering if you really do just like it loud. Are your ears ringing at all when you're done playing? Maybe you could hook up with someone with a similar sized amp and compare? The only Ampegs I've dealt with have been extremely loud, and I have a 60W amp that pretty much collects dust due to it's volume. It's definitely possible that it's in need of a tube change, too. If it was yours, I'd suggest it straight away.

Anyway... I just looked up that amp, and it looks like it has a pentode/triode switch. Find that thing and move it, see if that gives you a bump in volume. I was looking to see what kind of tubes it takes, as some Ampegs use some weird power tubes. That one just uses 6L6's, so you might want to try changing out the tubes to see if that's the problem, and pull 'em out and keep 'em if you decide to give the amp back.

Those same tubes'll fit in a blackface Showman, no problem.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have the setting on Pentode, and on the back it has the tube placement listed: it has 2 6l6c's and 5 12ax7's.

and my ears havent been ringing, its like right at that point it starts to get too loud, i'm going to go to my uncles garage today and ask him about the tubes.

and just because i dont have much experience with tubes, do i need to bias the amp if i'm switching the tubes with the same kind?
Yeah, you'll still want to bias it. A tube change is probably your best bet. But if you're going to take it to a tech to bias it, you may as well express your concerns about the volume in case it's something else.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Alright thanks, how much do you think it would cost on average for all that?

and i could always just get my new amp and give it back to him, but i should at least get it checked out, my uncle is letting me use it pretty much all summer.
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Jun 20, 2007,
I'd buy the tubes myself on line, which'll probably run up around $80 or so. Then call a few techs, who shouldn't be charging much more than $30-40 and hour for service, and go with the guy who sounds best. Ask if you can watch what he does. Good way to learn and watch the clock.

You may want to talk to your uncle about what you want to do, maybe he'll chip in or offer an alternative himself.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, thanks for the advice slats, i'm going up to his garage today to talk to him about it, i know this great tech that does a lot of work with tubes and such, i'll give him a call.