ahhh! i still cant get it tuned!! i had a friend over, and we banged up the strings in case they were too new, and it still wont tune!! but my friend noticed that the way the strings were put in...you know how that lil circley thing is at the end of the string that you put on the bridge or whatever at the bottom of the guitar?? well, those are at top...is that how you string an ibanez?? grrr!! i really like this guitar!!! i dont wanna have to give it back if it doesnt work and i dont wanna have nothing to play tomorrow!! what is anything else i could try, that wont have a risk of damamging it, that mioght make it work by tomorrow???
he might have a tremolo and thats why its at the top you really need to be more specific
pics, you're way too unclear on the problem.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Yeah.. Just re-string it... Sounds like a **** up... Have fun with that.. But how you string a guitar make a great difference in the playing of it... Can effect the tone, the playability, the sustain, the tuning as you just found out... Make sure it's strung correctly.. There are tons of videos out there on the net that help you string.. In fact I think there are like 3 already on this site that show you... Try them... Good luck
I think these dudes are trying it on a Floating Bridge. Thats the only way the ball is going to be on tuners otherwise they wouldn't even tighten up. Give us the brand name and exact model dude.
It's an Ibanez. What the hell do you expect?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Quote by buzzcut

GTFO. He doesn't know how to string / tune a floating tremelo. It's not that it's a bad guitar. Ibanez makes some of the best guitars around (Jem, JS, PGM, RG500+).
Quote by buzzcut

What are you talking about??

I have an Ibanez S520 and it is wonderful

a lot of well-known guitarists play Ibanez guitar
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
Quote by alex3996
What are you talking about??

I have an Ibanez S520 and it is wonderful

a lot of well-known guitarists play Ibanez guitar

And stay in tune...
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Oh, please!
Don't discriminate a whole line of guitars if you've just tried their lowest one!

in any case, Threadstarter... I'm guessing you've got an Ibanez RG350DX?, but if not... I'm still sure it has a Floyd Rose bridge. You can look a video up on various video hosting sites for 'How To Re-String a Floyd Rose' issue.
Quote by Archeo
Oh, please!
Don't discriminate a whole line of guitars if you've just tried their lowest one!

+1
ahhh! i still cant get it tuned!! i had a friend over, and we banged up the strings in case they were too new, and it still wont tune!! but my friend noticed that the way the strings were put in...you know how that lil circley thing is at the end of the string that you put on the bridge or whatever at the bottom of the guitar?? well, those are at top...is that how you string an ibanez?? grrr!! i really like this guitar!!! i dont wanna have to give it back if it doesnt work and i dont wanna have nothing to play tomorrow!! what is anything else i could try, that wont have a risk of damamging it, that mioght make it work by tomorrow???

You have a floating bridge - that means every time you adjust one string you'll affect the others. Put simply, you have to keep going over your tuning until it settles down...put thouroughly, I'll just nick mapdpick's post

Quote by madpickin03
Tuning Floyd Rose

1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...ing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

Quote by buzzcut

people in glass houses...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 20, 2007,
geez, i didnt know you should even have the damn ball on your guitar if it has a tremelo -.- my strings dont, i clip the little balls off and mine works better then excellent.

Ibanez RG4EX1 FTW!! (its so sexy....people tell me it is too =]

it only took me like 10minutes to figure out how to string it when it was my first time stringing a guitar ever too
Last edited by goldbuddist at Jun 20, 2007,
Quote by Archeo
Oh, please!

Agreed. Ibanez Prestige RGT220H FTW
There're no stupid guitars, just stupid people

- Ghandi
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
There're no stupid guitars, just stupid people

- Ghandi

Damn, I always thought that was Dostoyevsky...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

its and ibanez rg 320 dx qm.. what it is...theres another lil box under it if you need that too...

but i JUST got it. so i havent dont anything to it. i didnt add anything or anything. and if you can maybe tone down the big guitar terms and ssimplyfy it or atleast tell me what they are...cuz i dont knwo anything really about guitars....but if you explain, i will learn!!

www.freewebs.com/pimppistol/file.jpg

thats the guitar

www.freewebs.com/pimppistol/file2.jpg

and this is a side pic of the bridge or whatever cuz i didnt know if it was supposed to be this high off the guitar...if anyone has a cell phone and is willing to give out the number so i can text you more pics, thatd be awesome!!! email it, so you dont have to here, at d3m0n1c_5n00py@yahoo.com...but im not really expecting anyone too...just a thought...but yeah, those are the only pics of it i have...
Education is in order...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4&mode=related&search=

Also, look at the links that were posted by Steven Seagull. Read, learn, re-read and then go back and set up your guitar. It's a balancing act, but you need to learn it if you want to use a Floyd. There is no easy answer to your problem, it takes time to properly set up a Floyd. Have patience, and if you don't, then hopefully you've got the money to pay someone else for theirs.
ok dude! thank you sooo mcuh for the vids!! i think i skipped over his, i dunno why. i think i was gonne let my dad read it, so i just ignored it. but thanks SOOO much!!

and by the way, do they stay tuned for a long time??
Once it set up properly and locked down with the strings nicely stretched it'll be rock solid...you might need the odd tweak of the fine tuners if you do some major whammy abuse but that's all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Cyclotoolica
Agreed. Ibanez Prestige RGT220H FTW

Do you have one too?

I was wondering of someone besides me had this baby. It's amazing.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by matx33
pics, you're way too unclear on the problem.

+1
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
I have a solution to your problem. First, remove the strings from your Ibanez. Second, take the guitar to your local music store, preferably one that sells a variety of metal oriented guitars. Walk up to a clerk, and exchange your guitar for a Jackson. Problem solved!!!

Seriously though, setup on a Floyd is critical to good stability, a properly setup Floyd will hold a tune indefinately regardless of trem usage. Mine held a tune for 6 months. And, I'm just screwing with you Ibanez guys, I think I may buy one sometime soon to take to college.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
I like like Ibanezes, and Jacksons...I have both, and the regular Jackson 580 trem feels kind of cheap and clunky next to the Ibanez Lo Pro Edge. Using them one after the other the Lo Pro feels close to Kahler-smooth in comparison and is much more sensitive (that's with 3 strings in both of them).

I'm guessing the 580 feels a lot like the Edge III
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc