whats your opinion on this guitar?
i was thinking about buying one and i dont really wanna get ripped off.

heres the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

and its either that or the this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

so whats the difference between the two?
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Last edited by imnotastoner at Jun 20, 2007,
theyre the same
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Both links go to the Plain Top...

Plain Top is quite a bargain I think... better than the regular Standard tone wise IMO, yet less expensive. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten a Plain Top instead of the Standard.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Doesn't plain top basically mean it has no carved top body? Like the Les Paul Specials?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
^^Ah ok thats what I figured you were comparing. The thing with the Standard is they have an alder core rather than a solid mahogany body like the Plain Top. Not necessarily bad, but with solid mahogany IMO you get more of a fuller thick tone along with a bit more sustain. Its subtle but there... Also the Standard has the flamed maple top and the Plain Top has the plain top..
but in terms of tone, theres no difference?
Quote by nt1440
Yes, theres a difference. The Plain Top sounds a bit thicker and fuller because its solid mahogany... it's more apparent through a good amp.
weird.
wonder why the hell its $100 cheaper then.
Quote by nt1440
ah, i see.

thanks for the help
Quote by nt1440
k wait i have another question now.
right now i have the epiphone sg.
im planning on selling the sg to get that les paul.

would it be a step up or down from what im using now?
Quote by nt1440
Quote by imnotastoner
k wait i have another question now.
right now i have the epiphone sg.
im planning on selling the sg to get that les paul.

would it be a step up or down from what im using now?

Depends on what SG it is. If its a G400 don't bother. Anything less, then I'd say its a step up.
Be cool.
yeah it is the G400
Quote by nt1440
Well I wouldn't say your stepping down or stepping up (your adding another guitar to your rig) the Plain Top is probably similar in quality to the G-400, but both appear to be pretty nice guitars for the price.

I too somewhat wish I had gotten a Plain Top instead of my LP standard plus.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
yeah i think the les paul fits the music i play better than the sg does too. (classic rock, alternative, etc.)
Quote by nt1440