Can the current production Digitech Whammies be used with Bass frequencies? I know they made a dedicated Bass Whammy during the XP100 era, but they're so difficult to find now and/or cost an arm and leg. Any experience? Did the sound translate well even though they're designed for guitar?
Epiphone LP Custom
Peavey VK 100/Supreme 100 Bi-Amp
Mesa 4x12

Squire P-Pass
GK 1001
GK NEO 4x12
Well, I was using the whammy effect on my rp350(extremely like the actual one) and it handled the bass. Whats fun is sweeping in from 2 octaves down back to normal pitch...
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The standard guitar whammy doesn't track lower notes on the bass well at all... if you want a whammy you need to track down the Bass Whammy which costs a fortune on eBay
I've used a Whammy IV (or whatever the number is now) on bass before, and it was fairly decent on picking up low end; however, if you're looking to do some Justin Chancellor stuff, the guitar Whammy doesn't have some of the features that the Bass Whammy does.

Otherwise, it should be pretty decent.
The bass whammy is no better at handling bass frequencies than the Whammy II it's based on. The only difference is the different harmony settings. The current Whammy IV should be fine for bass, but you won't have all the settings that Justin Chancellor uses, if that's your bag.
Are those settings exclusive to the bass whammy of that era, or does any XP100 have them?
Epiphone LP Custom
Peavey VK 100/Supreme 100 Bi-Amp
Mesa 4x12

Squire P-Pass
GK 1001
GK NEO 4x12
i say, if you can get one of the old ones (Digitech Whammy 1), get it, its the best thing you'll get... there are also Digitech Bass Whammies.............. theyre great for bass, but the Whammy 1... are the best ever made although theyre missing a feature or two from the new ones... and yeah, you'll have to be willing to pay good money for it, cose they dont come cheap, either one of them............ do yourself a favour and dont buy the new ones... theyre horrible... digitech have really gone down the hill with the new models.... yuck...