My amp and cab have switchable impedance, for 4, 8 and 16ohms.

Which is the most preferred option, and why would I use either one? I am running it on 4ohms at the moment.

Matt
If both your head and cab have all three options, seems to me that your best bet would be to try them all out and see which one YOU like the best. None will be better or worse for the amp, but there may be a subtle difference in sound.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Haha, yeah, I thought I might get that response.

My cab isnt switchable, but I am looking to buy one, and was just wondering which setting offered the "best" sound...

*best is not normally word I like to use, as its open to a lot of opinion gear wise, but since I didnt know what the differences in impedance were, or how it affects your sound, I thought I would ask, I was hoping, on this occasion that there would be a "best" option.

My amp says "dedicated 16 ohm output on it" and has another two outputs that are switchable between 4 and 8. The fact that the word "dedicated" was used for 16 ohm made it sound more impressive.

Can anyone identify the difference that it would make to use one setting against another?

Matt
How about this: What amp is it?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Its an ashdown fallen angel 60w that has supposedly being modded to 80w... although my amp tech says that such a small increment will make almost no difference in volume, and probably with a small loss of tone...

Matt