What style of music are they good for??
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Hard rock,heavy metal.

Anything with drive/distortion in general.

Actually their are three versions,check the info about them at Seymour Duncan.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
where would i put it in my guitar if i were to get one?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Um... you'd just switch out any of the single coils on your guitar with the Hotrails. If you're doing it yourself, practice soldering on something else first, or you can take it to just about any repair shop and they'll do it for you.
My rig:

Guitars:
Ibanez Jetking 2 (electric)
Hohner HW300-G TBK (acoustic)

Amps:
Peavey Encore 65
Crate CP-150 and building my own cabinet in the summer

Effects:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
the best place for a hot rail is in the bridge, its best for any form of overdrive/distortion
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
they sound like really hot singles.

you can put them in any spot. if ur looking for metal tone. you might want a full sized humbucker in that spot instead.

what guitar?
what amp?
what budget? what music style ?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I think the hotrails are excellent for metal.
They are a bit muddy though, but that just may be my 250k pots.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
look at sig. cfor guitar and amp.. Budget:under 150
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
ok well the 15 watt valvEtronix isnt really an all tube amp.
plus it's a classic rock and a bit heavier moddeler and doesnt work well with pedals.

so if ur looking for a more heavy tone, i suggest u upgrade ur amp first.
hot rails arent going to cut it alone.

so what music do u play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

The way I see it, hot rails don't have the clarity, sparkle, chime, bell of a single-coil, nor do they have the throat, girth, grind, fatness of a humbucker.

However, they don't hum. Much.
Quote by jj1565
plus it's a classic rock and a bit heavier moddeler and doesnt work well with pedals.

Jenny speaks truth.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by jj1565

so if ur looking for a more heavy tone, i suggest u upgrade ur amp first.
hot rails arent going to cut it alone.

so what music do u play?

i play metal, blues, rock and yea. ive been playing for a pretty long time and im thinking on getting a 1/4 stack (JSX Head with a Marshall 212)
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
One of my guitars is outfitted with hotrails at the neck and bridge. When it comes to the bridge pickup, it gets nice gain and crunch but doesn't have the output of a standard humbucker. Works great for rhythm playing and this guitar seems to get a lot of bass in it's tone. The bridge pickup puts out very nice tones for heavy rock, but not so much for metal. The neck pickup puts out an absolutely gorgeous Eric Johnsonish tone. I'm not sure how much is guitar and how much are the pickups, but that's my experience with them.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Jenny speaks truth.

FacingUsAll speaks truth about jenny speaking truth...
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Quote by lua4x
i play metal, blues, rock and yea. ive been playing for a pretty long time and im thinking on getting a 1/4 stack (JSX Head with a Marshall 212)

ok then i suggest u check out a new amp first.

you'll notice a difference with the hotrail. but i really dont think it;ll be what ur looking for.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

This might be my n00bishness when it comes to stacks, but isn't a head and 1 cabinet called a 1/2 stack?
Quote by METSOAD
the best place for a hot rail is in the bridge, its best for any form of overdrive/distortion

Wow how ignorant
Quote by bartdevil_metal
This might be my n00bishness when it comes to stacks, but isn't a head and 1 cabinet called a 1/2 stack?

But it's only a 2x12 so it's like half of a standard cabinet, making it a fourth of a full stack.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Hot Rails are truly brilliant pickups for high gain. I recently sold off a stratocaster with them in and I REALLY regret it now. Awesome in the bridge for heavy rock. I really liked the sound of them in the neck too. Very smooth and defined in the neck when using high gain. I actually preferred the sound of these in the neck than the PAF Pro I have on my HSH strat.

If you can try and get hold of the old design. Apparantly their build quality is better and sound slightly better too.

As for using them clean, they do sound pretty damn good, but there are better pickups out there for clean. I miss their sound so much that Im going to get myself another stratocaster and install hotrails in it again.

Only thing I hate about Seymour Duncan is that damn logo in my sight all the time. Abit too designer labellish for my tastes.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Jun 20, 2007,
if u like high treble hot rails, ull love dimarzio stacked Virtual vintage heavy blues series pups^. and they look standard. much more full than my rails, imo.

middle and neck spot. you can see the rails at the bridge.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

would this pickup combo be good:

hotrails-mini JB-coolrails?
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Quote by big-T
would this pickup combo be good:

hotrails-mini JB-coolrails?

Hmmm, I've heard cool rails in the middle and they sounded pretty much like hot rails in the neck but with a little more bass and dirt.

If you want a really versatile guitar get a vintage rails for neck, cool rails for middle and hot rails for bridge.

If you will be mostly playing hard rock and metal then I'd just put a hotrails in bridge and neck and leave a single coil in the middle so you can combine it with the neck and bridge for those twangy clean tones.
im not a huge mini JB fan. and i like the dimarzio in the middle, cause it mixes well, IMO.
so i might go with,

HR - bridge
Virtual vintage-mid
and if u like cool rails then yeah ok that might be good in the neck.

mines a malmsteen stacked single coil sized humbucker. mostly, i like vintage sounding necks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Has anyone tried the new Dimarzio Super Distortion single yet? I'd think that it would be a good choice if it's anything like the humbucker version.