Hey everyone. I did a search and nothing too relevant came up, so I'm sorry if I shouldn't be posting this, but I have a question.

I've been playing guitar for a few years now. I'm pretty OK, but I'm wanting to push myself by learning Necrophagist songs and soloing sometimes. Before I start doing this, I need to know if my picking technique is good. I economy pick all the time, but I just need to know if my hand positioning could be made better.

Are there any useful videos/articles that will help me? All the Youtube "beginner" lessons seem to concentrate on what half-steps are, etc.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
That's hard to understand without pictures, but there's some good stuff written there.

Head over to the 80s/Shred/Prog forum and go to the technique thread if you want help.
Quote by Nick_
That's hard to understand without pictures, but there's some good stuff written there.

Yes it's good, but unfortunately it seems to have sent many down the garden path
trying to figure out the oscillation/Benson picking stuff. A wild Goose chase. And I
think he glosses over its limitations.

"Playing from the String". I've heard pros mention this every now and then. It was
also the subject of a couple of Guitar Principles newsletters. There's a lot going on
in picking you should be aware of and practice, but I'm now firmly convinced this
is the most important awareness to have in order to pick well on a consistent
basis.
That Tuck and Patti article is not that good, very hard to understand and very lengthy.

Im also concerned about my picking motion, as I fear as I get better, I will be limited to how fast I can play due to my technique that I have gotten used to. I find that my arm up to my elbow moves quite a lot, shaking as I pick fast. I saw Pettrucci play and he only uses his wrist movement, his arm is still.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
^ yeah, arm movement is barely necessary (when moving from low to high E your arm should barely have to move to compensate for the distance) all of your picking should come from the wrist and 99.9% of movement should come from it as well.
Oh, I don't know about that. Personally I find my arm is quite involved in picking.
But it's also not something you'd visibly notice as the motions are quite small. You
can't really tell what someone is doing by watching them pick. Some of the motions
are so small they'd be imperceptable to the eye. You'd be likely as not to draw the
wrong conclusions as the right ones. Yet compared to what you see, how it might
feel to the player would be totally different than you'd guess.
^ which is pretty much what i meant. when you pick you do use your arm but not much, especially in comparison to your wrist. obviously you use your arm to move your wrist around and position your hand correctly but you don't really pick from your arm (although obviously full chords you'll strum with your arm)
Actually if you lift your arm and arch your wrist you can strum with your wrist.

It's essential for getting the Freddie Green chunka chunka sound.
So many opinions it's funny
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
The thing is, you can attain ridiculous speed and control with any style of picking as long as you eliminate the tension.

That's what people don't realise.
^ very true, unless of course you're picking with your arm. it's a physics thing, if you want to trem pick 16th notes at 150 bpm i'd like to see ANYONE who's managed to pick from the arm and accomplish this, especially with any amount of efficiency (if you can show me this i will GLADLY and gracefully back out on this one and even mail you a box of cookies, your choice). you are right though, with the proper hand placement you can strum an entire chord with your wrist.
Quote by z4twenny
obviously you use your arm to move your wrist around and position your hand correctly but you don't really pick from your arm

Isn't "moving your wrist around" also part of picking? The way it seems to work out
for me is that the longer the stroke needs to be, the more arm I'll use, the smaller the
stroke, the more wrist. Eco, sweep, inside and outside picking all cross strings and
tend to have larger strokes and I use quite a bit of arm in the picking itself.

When I look at all the things I might want to do when picking, which is a lot more
than just linear or tremelo picking, I'd say my arm is quite firmly in the drivers seat
as I often want to go across strings at speed -- not just position my wrist at a
string and start picking.

One good thing in that Tuck and Patti article talks about training large muscle groups
to small muscle groups. I totally agree with that. I wouldn't be able to do anything
close to what I can now do, if I hadn't just stopped focusing on my wrist for a while
to work on elbow and upper arm. It's often neglected, but totally worth the the time.
^ again yes, you do use your arm, i think i may not be making myself clear enough. you DO use your arm, but for example a song like panteras "f#cking hostile" you're simply not going to pick that using your arm for the pick motion, you'll mainly use your wrist. in things like sweeping you will use your arm more yes, but thats one of the only techniques i can really think of which utilizes your arm over your wrist really. i'll have to check out that article, i'd like to train my muscles for more accuracy and hopefully the arm/elbow muscles will help me get better at sweeping (my sweep skillz SU-UH-UH-UCK)
Well, I think about picking as a whole as I do it and that's a lot of inside, outside,
economy, and sweep picking. Whenever strings are crossed a lot, which is all
those, the arm comes in to play more. Something like tremelo picking, or ascending/
descending on 1 string, then yeah that's more wrist, but that's pretty narrowly
defined picking, Not sure what that Pantera song is doing... tihink I might have it.
Quote by Nick_
The thing is, you can attain ridiculous speed and control with any style of picking as long as you eliminate the tension.

That's what people don't realise.

this is very true

whats everyones opinions on using the pick at a side angle i.e. hitting it almost edge to edge rather than flat side to side. this seems to change the tone somewhat but i find easy
Quote by z4twenny
^ very true, unless of course you're picking with your arm. it's a physics thing, if you want to trem pick 16th notes at 150 bpm i'd like to see ANYONE who's managed to pick from the arm and accomplish this, especially with any amount of efficiency (if you can show me this i will GLADLY and gracefully back out on this one and even mail you a box of cookies, your choice).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GutdcKCeVQ he uses his wrist for slow, then when he speeds up he uses elbow, just like that site says.
Quote by ElephantTalk
this is very true

whats everyones opinions on using the pick at a side angle i.e. hitting it almost edge to edge rather than flat side to side. this seems to change the tone somewhat but i find easy

I pick with my pick at about 45 degrees away from parallel.

It's smoothest to me. If I turn it toward parallel it starts to catch the string instead of gliding through it.
Has anyone got a vid of Gilbert or someone doing a "perfect" techinique?
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.