So I'll be buying a Jackson SL3 in about a month, great guitar. But the one thing that bothers me is the Hot Rails in the middle and neck, don't really like that sound. Any suggestions for singles (no single-spaced humbucker please) that can give me a good lead tone for cutting thru in a band? An ok clean tone wouldn't hurt either . Feel free to suggest boutique pups too, since I'm kinda shelling out on this guitar. Right now I'm playing a Bandit 112 with a metal muff, but I'll be buying a Ashdown Fallen Angel (thanks to Mr. Seagull for convincing me :P) when I get the cash for it. I currently play some very Megadeth inspired stuff, if that helps. Oh, and I'm in Sweden, if that matters at all.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
EDIT: Actually the YJM does seem really nice, how does it handle gain? How are the cleans? And do you have to shred to make it sound good :P?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Last edited by Revrend. at Jun 20, 2007,
bump
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
i love my yjm for smooth high gain. its great. Tho at first try it seems week, with right EQ it handles leads like no other, and is an excellent clean pickup, Keep in mind if you are after that vintage single coil tone, this hum cancelling pup is not fo ryou
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm mainly after the metal tone, though it wouldn't hurt if it had an ok clean tone. From what I've gathered the YJM has a pretty smooth yet cutting, which will easily be heard in a band. Is this true? If so, I'm ordering two of them pretty soon :P
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
well this is where the problem is. Its a really low otu put pickup with massive resistance.. However once you put an OD pedal with it, it becomes the most cutting pickup. It drowns out the others
So with a boost it becomes cutting, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna buy a pair of these for the middle and neck. Last question, how would the YJM hold up in a maple neck-through, alder-winged guitar with a ebony fretboard? Could it become to bright?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
in an alder body it sounds great. if you go to dim site and check the eq properties of the pup you'll see ti matches any wood quite well

you can fix the brightness with the boost pedal as well. just roll back the tone on it, or the tone knob on your guitar
Ok, thanks for ze help dude, it is much appreiciated :P
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)