So I installed Civ IV the other day on my computer. It's a great game, but my computer's graphics card isn't the best to run it. I need to replace it, but I don't know which ones are compatible with my computer. How do I check that?
Peace.
Open ut PC up
if you Grphic card slot says PCI-E then u want one of these
-7950GT
-1900GT
-X1950XT
If the slot says AGP u need one of these
-6800GT
-9800Pro
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
look at your motherboard, write down the name of it, then punch it in google and see what graphic card slots it has. Then take that to a computer store and they will show you your options.
Read my post. Not this.
^^ yeah.

If it says PCI the best you can get without going mad is an FX5500.

Dont get PCI and PCI express mixed up, the two aren't interchangable. Also make sure its a x16 slot.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by crazygluedmybut
Is there a way to do this without opening up my computer?

You should be able to get information about the parts in the computer from the manufacturer's website.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by crazygluedmybut
Is there a way to do this without opening up my computer?

Control Panel->System->Hardware tab->Device Manager->System Devices look and see if it says PCI express or AGP slot.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
Find your motherboard manual and read the specifications. If your graphics card sucks, it's most likely that your motherboard does too, so you'll need a new one if you're going to want to support PCI-Express.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by whenshoesattack
Control Panel->System->Hardware tab->Device Manager->System Devices look and see if it says PCI express or AGP slot.

It says PCI bus. ?
Peace.
Quote by crazygluedmybut
It says PCI bus. ?

Buy a new motherboard.. that is ancient.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
If you don't know the name of your motherboard I would suggest you dl something like this.
It's a free trial software that will tell you a lot about your computer. If you do decide to dl it just go Motherboard>Motherboard and it will say the name of it and other stuff. At the bottom of that page it might have the motherboards website, if not, you can try typing the name into google and info should come up about the graphic slots and everything.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas