HI, im kinda new at making up my own solos or just improvisiong and i was wondering if anone knew any good patterens that i should learn to work off of. I already know the A Minor Pentatonic box which works well but i was wondering if there wasn any other good patterns. Srry if this is a dumb question but i was just trying to get sum help.
Well seeing as you know the A minor pentatonic, do you know just box 1? If so learn at least boxes 2 and 3, because that's a really good way to free yourself up a bit if you're feeling stuck playing the same thing all the time.

Also good to move onto would be the blues scale - that is the pentatonic but with an extra note. In A pentatonic you would be playing:

e ------------------------------------5--8--
b -----------------------------5--8---------
g ----------------------5--7----------------
d ---------------5--7-----------------------
a --------5--7------------------------------
e -5--8-------------------------------------

So it would become:

e --------------------------------------------5--8--
b -------------------------------------5--8---------
g --------------------------5--7--8----------------
d -------------------5--7---------------------------
a --------5--6--7---------------------------------
e -5--8--------------------------------------------
for starters, learn the blues scale. you already have the pentatonic down, now add the extra notes and get dirty on that ****. and learn the major scale as extensively as possible. it will demystify modes in a huge way.
Once you get through what everyone else has mentioned, move on to the harmonic and melodic minor scale and their modes. You'll get quite a lot of use out of those due to the more dramatic flair they can have.
Quote by guitarded420
for starters, learn the blues scale. you already have the pentatonic down, now add the extra notes and get dirty on that ****. and learn the major scale as extensively as possible. it will demystify modes in a huge way.

another dumb question but what does the major scale look like tabbed out?
~~~~~~~~~

And thank you everyone, im going to try those other scales now
--------------------------------------------7-8
-------------------------------------8-10-----
----------------------------7-9-10-----------
------------------7-9-10---------------------
--------7-8-10-------------------------------
-8-10-----------------------------------------

C major - the first note is the root if you move it to 5 it becomes A major ect.
Don't forget that you can move the A minor pentatonic box around to different root notes to play in different keys. If you played the exact same shape only starting two frets up (towards the bridge) then you would be playing B minor pentatonic.

Its also important to realise that the minor pentatonic scale (and every scale) covers the entire neck. For example A minor pent contains the notes A C D E G, these notes are found all over the fretboard and no matter where you play them it will be A minor pentatonic.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums