I have the opportunity to pick up a rather inexpensive semi-hollowbody next week from a friend of mine that was going to get into playing the guitar, but then just got into other things.

I'm literally picking it up for a fraction of what it would normally go for, so there's no question about me getting it.

My question is, what are semi-hollowbodies generally used for playing? I've got a number of solid bodies, and an acoustic, but this is the first guitar of this type that I'll own. Will it add to the range of what I'd be able to play, tonewise? Or would any solid body still be able to do what a semi-hollow can do?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
semi hollows are very nice. They generally sound awesome for jazz and blues, and add a little more "air" to the tone. They sound pretty sweet for classic rock too. I wouldn't want to use too much gain or volume though, they can get a little muddy and can feedback.

But i'd say it's definitely worth it for another type of tone.

EDIT: also, not that this is a reason to buy, lol, but because they have more unplugged volume, they're more fun to play unplugged too, say if everyone else is in bed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ sorry?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Needless to say, I'm excited just to have another guitar enter the home, and ecstatic that it'll add more tonewise and not just equipment wise.

Now I just gotta learn to play better... <.<;;;

Another thing I was wondering, is it difficult to get a Bigsby added to it? I don't have a picture, but it's a Samick Royale with a stoptail piece. Bigsby isn't necessarily a priority, but I just noticed a lot of higher end semi-hollows seem to sport one.

Also, probably one of the first things I'll do is swap the pickups on it. Any suggestions on that? I've got a lot of info regarding pickups for solidbodies, wouldn't think those same suggestions are applicable to semi-hollows.... or are they?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Jun 20, 2007,
^ i'm not too sure about the bigsby to be honest.

i'd stick to low output pickups to be honest. to avoid the mud i mentioned when you turn up the amp's gain.

also, it can be awkward switching pickups in a semi-hollow, you kinda have to fish out the electronics through the f-holes. I haven't gathered up the courage to swap mine yet. o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've finally just gotten comfortable with swapping pickups on a solidbody, but as for the semi-hollow, I'll probably just leave that up to a tech. I was looking at another one earlier and having to fish around the f-holes intimidated me.

I'll get pics when I get it. Not picking it up till next week though. Thanks for all the info!
^ no problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think that hollow bodies, if you are referring to ES 335 and artcore type models, have an excellent range of sounds. As mentioned the major difference between semi's and full bodied guitars is the added warmth in tone. They can do most stuff from pat methany jazz, to hard rock like cream. It depends of course on your budget and model you select. I have a dot and play mostly classic rock (eagles, beatles, police), hard rock ( acdc, rainbow, black sabbath), and some metal ( iron maiden, judas priest, tool). It handles most stuff pretty well except it lacks the needed punch for metal, but can still pull it off with some tweeking of volume and tone controls. I set my neck pup at five, my bridge pup at 2 and a half or three to add some beef, and put the neck tone at about 4 and viola nice sounding hard rock with the right amp settings. They are generally versitile and more so if you are able to shell out money for a high end model like a epi sheraton II.
Quote by greggybhoy
QOTSA use semi hollows sometimes so you can crank it up a fair bit.

yeah once or twice but Josh probably prefers that Blue Bettsy
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Well actually QTOFSTA doesn't use loads of gain, they tune down which can make it sound as if they have more gain.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009