I have a quick question about my peavey classic 30.

When I play a low note say the open E string, my amp seems to fart at me. It makes this real nasty PHHBTTTT noise broken up into different raspberries. anyone know what the problem could be? I think it may be the cable, and I hope so but I only have one cable at the time (I know) and I hope you can tell me what the problem could be. Thanks!
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Big Muff USA Reissue

My myspace. Yeah. I know it sucks.
ur pickups might be to close to the strings and it could be the speaker i doubt its the cable thou
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
It might be the tubes rattling
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
is it the tubes rattling?
Gear:
Gibson SG Faded Special
American Strat
Fender Bassman 100
Vox Wah
Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
DOD 250 Overdrive
Ernie Ball Volume

Band
great. I hope to god its not the speaker. I bought the thing a few months ago......
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

how would one check to see if the tubes are rattling.

Also hivemind.

EDIT: my first tube amp. Sorry if its a little too obvious.
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

it shouldn't be to do with your valves ratteling. You'd hear that from your amp, like a 'clinky' noise.

Are your pups close to the strings?
Is it the same on all amps? Or just your C30?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
youd be surprised what a ****ty cable could do to your sound. buy a new cable first and come back after you've tried that.
Try with everything EXACTLY the same as you'd play when it occurs, apart from on your cube and see if the problem is still there
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

In that case, logic would point the shame finger on the amp.

Get it looked at
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

D:

Great. I live 30 facking minutes from a guitar tech, and I drive a 8 cylinder ford! great on gas..........
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

play your low e and then put something up against the tubes, if the rattling stops its the tubes
Gear:
Gibson SG Faded Special
American Strat
Fender Bassman 100
Vox Wah
Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
DOD 250 Overdrive
Ernie Ball Volume

Band
Its most likely a tube. I had what sounds to be the same problem, and I just had to check each tube and it did turn out to that one of them was ****ing up. Like you, it was a farting when I played low notes, not high ones.

EDIT: and I don't mean rattling. That i s a problem classic 30s tend to have but it sounds like an actual tube is malfunctioning.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Last edited by al_ at Jun 20, 2007,
Quote by leid sepplin
D:

Great. I live 30 facking minutes from a guitar tech, and I drive a 8 cylinder ford! great on gas..........

Harsh man, but if it IS only a valve, then they're pretty inexpensive to replace if that's a constellation...
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

get the valve replaced- the peavey classic already has the best Classic rock tubes in it.
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
Well, I just realized after playing it again, that it only happens after about 15 minutes from turning it on. So I guess that just helps the tube theory. (Plus it happens whenever I try to hold a note at all now.)
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

Hmm...Get it checked out next time you go near the guitar shop....just to check it's okay
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by leid sepplin
Well, I just realized after playing it again, that it only happens after about 15 minutes from turning it on. So I guess that just helps the tube theory. (Plus it happens whenever I try to hold a note at all now.)

Im 99% sure it is a tube... same exact issue I had once. Since your only replacing 1 tube, I'd just get any tube they carry. Buy just 1, and with it replace 1 tube at a time till you find the malfunctioning one. Although since you asked , if you plan on replacing all of them, or when you do I recommend http://eurotubes.com/.
They have classic 30 retube kits to make it easy: https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=33

I got these, the blues kit and he picked the tubes for me specifically for an early break up, and thick saturation. I couldn't have been happier.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

Check it out
Well, I E-mailed the guitar tech and he said that it might be the room. Like A refrigerator or a fan or something. I havent tried it yet but that could be an answer.

He also said that if I wanted some new tubes that I could drive out there and he would sell me some JJ/teslas(these any good?) and he said that EL84s auto bias, so that there should'nt be an issue there. Sound about right?
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

Yea JJs is what the guy sells at eurotubes (the link I gave you) and classic 30s dont need to be biased is right.

And I doubt its an appliance.

Check it out
Wow. I havent done anything yet (Don't have te time) but now its gotten to the point that if I flip the on switch, almost as soon as the tubes warm up the amp is making the noise, which is now more of a constant low BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing noise now.

Still think its a tube?
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

Glad to hear it

btw, what kind of tubes did you get? I'm about to retube my classic 50 so I was wondering how you felt about your new tubes.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Well. Turns out i was wrong.

The clean channel works perfectly, but the overdrive channel still pops and spits after about 15 minutes, then it drops in frequency.

Should I bring it to an amp tech, and ask him to check out the wiring?
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30