So yeah. I found a used TT here which I can afford, so that's what I'll be playing out of. I completely lucked out on it, and I've never been happier. I'm just trying to decide what to match it with. Part of me doesn't want to have to buy another cabinet again, but the other part wants to have something small that I can move around a lot. I do most of my playing in my basement (garage in the summer) so it's not like I'm going to be moving crap all over the place.

Anyways, I'm thinking about getting either a 2x12 or a 4x12 to match up with my TT. I probably will stick with Orange (hoping that I can find one used around here, which I should), but would matching a 4x12 be overkill with the TT? Would a 2x12 be a much better fit?
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by TehJermie
the weight of the 4x12 might put you off.

Well a) I'm not a weak person and b) I'm not going to be hauling it place to place. If I play in my room quietly, I play my Randall ****box, and when I want to play loud, I play with my Tiny Terror..
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
I would get the 4x12 then. A used orange 2x12 would be very hard to find.

There's about two per month that pop up on Craigslist around here. But as I asked, is it going to sound really weak if I decide not to really crank the volume with the 4x12, or will it still sound okay at low volumes?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by xTJx
There's about two per month that pop up on Craigslist around here. But as I asked, is it going to sound really weak if I decide not to really crank the volume with the 4x12, or will it still sound okay at low volumes?

It'll sound fine. When you're not playing loud (w/ any amp/speaker setup), you're not driving the speakers hard. In other words, a 100w amp through a 4X12 at low volume will use the same amount of power as a 15w amp to achieve the same volume. The TT won't sound weak because of the large cab, but because it's not being driven hard. You may want an OD pedal at lower volume-then it will definitely not sound weak.
I personally prefer the sound of a 4X12 over a 2X12 whenever possible, & I have one of each. The 2X12 sounds great & is easy to lug around, but I mostly use the 4X12.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i think you should get a 4 x 12 if you've got the dough even if it is an overkill
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
A 4x12 is overkill. Why? The amp won't push it I think. A 2x12 or 1x12 is better because then you can push the speakers on reasonable volume and the sound will be alot better.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah because if a speaker doesn't get enough power it won't sound too nice. So my tip is to get a 1x12 or 2x12 rated at the most on 50 watts.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If you ended up with an Orange 4x12, you'd not be able to move it around. They don't have casters even, because the cab acoustically couples to the floor.

TT with a 1x12 sounds great mate
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Gabel
Yeah because if a speaker doesn't get enough power it won't sound too nice. So my tip is to get a 1x12 or 2x12 rated at the most on 50 watts.

Yeah, this is why Gabel seems to be an amp god!
I responded only to the low volume question & did not remember the TS earlier stated he uses the TT for loud playing, & I did not address the speaker breakup issue. I like a 4X12 because I play a 50w & 100w amp loud. The TT will sound good CRANKED through a 4X12, but would sound BEST through a 2X12 or 1X12 rated to the TT. My apologies for not addressing the big picture.
Once again, Gabel has great wisdom.

BTW- I heard a TT cranked at the last winter NAMM show through a 4X12 & a 1X12, & did not really hear that much difference, but that may have been because I was mesmerized by the awesome tone from that little box!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

^

Your knowledge ain't too bad either.

But the thing with is that I spend alot of time figuring out what makes stuff sound like they do. For an example why does one amp sound better through that cab and not through another or why other speakers works better with other amps, what amps works good for what stuff and so on. Generally to me something can sound good, but I always want to find out, is there anything that can make it sound better?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

i actually think speaker breakup sounds terrible and fizzy for most applications. clarity is the word of the day.
Quote by TehJermie
i actually think speaker breakup sounds terrible and fizzy for most applications. clarity is the word of the day.

It can do, but Blue and Greenbacks don't half sound great breaking up.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by TehJermie

But a speaker needs to be pushed (this doesn't have to be break up) but it needs to be pushed a bit to sound nice and a 1x12 or 2x12 will allow pushing, but not a 4x12 will (atleast not as good).

Generally the count for a speaker to sound good is that it should push more than 1 watt each and a Tiny Terror would push a bit less than 2 watts in each speaker in a 4x12 (and this is when you have the amp so loud so it's pushing 15 watts) when it's pushing out 15 watts. This is right before the breakup point, so it would be pretty loud. When you lower the volume it won't produce as much effect and the amp will sound alot worse.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Jun 20, 2007,
Quote by Gabel
But a speaker needs to be pushed (this doesn't have to be break up) but it needs to be pushed a bit to sound nice and a 1x12 or 2x12 will allow pushing, but not a 4x12 will (atleast not as good).

Generally the count for a speaker to sound good is that it should push more than 1 watt each and a Tiny Terror would push a bit less than 2 watts in each speaker in a 4x12 (and this is when you have the amp so loud so it's pushing 15 watts) when it's pushing out 15 watts. This is right before the breakup point, so it would be pretty loud. When you lower the volume it won't produce as much effect and the amp will sound alot worse.

I know this is a minimal and kinda void point, but the TT is probably around 20 watts. You know how laissez-faire us Brits are when it comes to valve wattage ratings.

Maximum clean output I believe.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Besides the ability to drive the speakers, think smaller amps tend to sound better with 2x12s. The bottom end of a 4x12 seems to need a 50 or 100 watt amp to fill it out. A 15 watt amp through a 2x12, regardless of the speakers' power handling, seems to have better low end punch and clarity than through a 4x12- it seems that the smaller amps get 'lost' in those extra two speakers. Smaller amps also tend to like open-back cabs, which isn't usually an option with 4x12s.
Quote by Kurapica
I know this is a minimal and kinda void point, but the TT is probably around 20 watts. You know how laissez-faire us Brits are when it comes to valve wattage ratings.

Maximum clean output I believe.

I very much know this and stated it to, that when the amp is pushing 15 watts it's just before the breakup. You will basically have to crank the amp to get it to push the speakers good.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
I very much know this and stated it to, that when the amp is pushing 15 watts it's just before the breakup. You will basically have to crank the amp to get it to push the speakers good.

Yup I know. I think having a 4x12 would be pretty daft with a TT anyways. 2x12 at most.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

^+1

I would recommend a 2x12 with classic voiced speakers, since they tend to work better with more clasicc voiced amp. Greenbacks or Celestion Blues would be great.

I would get one of these:
www.avatarspeakers.com

A 2x12 with a pair of Greenbacks or a Greenback/ H30 or maybe a V30/ H30 would be a great choice. HTye won't break the bank and will work really well.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^Yeah man, that would sound great. You can't beat an Orange with at least one V30, perhaps a nice V30/Greenback combo...would be sexy as hell.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

^I'd go with the H30

I really like my V30 now, I've really learned how to work with it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Even a 2x10" would be pretty awesome, a lot better than a 4x12" and also having a little less bottom end than the 2x12".
I'd be looking into some Weber speakers, pop an email off to Ted and see what he recommends. His speakers really are some of the best on the market today (for their price anyway).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Gabel
Tone Tubbies are said to be the best speakers around.

http://www.tonetubby.com/

+1
These speakers are in a whole different league than anything else. They have 3-input cabs, too, so you can use each speaker individually, or both together (or split pairs w/ a 4X12). Great for different speaker combos.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Slats has one and according to him it's like god himself. Everybody's who played one tells they're just awesome. Makes me want one...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

It's true!

I have the 2x10 with the alnicos, and I KNOW that it would sound absolutely awesome with a Tiny Terror. Plus it would be cool to have a TT/TT stack. They're expensive, though. I really only have it 'cause it fell in my lap. Sounds great hooked up to my AC30CC1, and if I were to change out that amp's speaker, it would definitely be for a Tone Tubby.

My cab's only wired for 16 ohms, though, with a ported back. Which, again, would suit the Tiny Terror perfectly. I keep my eye open for them. I haven't found one under $450 yet (how much did you pay, xTJx. if you don't mind me asking?), but I always keep my eyes open for it. Not that I need one.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.