Hey everyone, I play bass and i am going to join a band with my friends (who also play drums and guitar). I was considering also just messin around and learning guitar too but mainly focusing on bass. So, yesterday i was playing my sister's acoustic and i noticed how hard it is to hold down one string without muting another! They're so close together it seems like! Any tips on getting used to this?
Just practice. It was similar when i started bass, my hand just couldn't deal with the distance. Eventually your body will naturally find itself when playing the guitar and it will work.

As a tip, take it very slowly so you are completely conscious of what you're muting and what you aren't, and work from there. Eventually it will be second nature.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Also i have another question, how should i start learning acoustic guitar? Should i learn chords, scales, or should i practice playing single notes first? And is the major scale on a bass the same as a major scale on guitar?
i don't know about you, but alot of bassist i've seen who also play acoustic, are sick fingerpickers
Youll get used to it. I stuck with guitar, but I play my bass once in a while. Its good to know both... you just gotta practice a bit
Quote by ccmetz2020
Also i have another question, how should i start learning acoustic guitar? Should i learn chords, scales, or should i practice playing single notes first? And is the major scale on a bass the same as a major scale on guitar?

Learn the chords first. That way you can play both the rhythm and lead by arpeggiating. And yeah, play to your advantages, as a bassist you should be quite adept at fingerpicking (assuming you use fingers for bass).
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe