What do you know of them? I'm hoping I can get one and get natural overdrive with a Fender Supersonic (60 watts tube) with one. I don't quite understand them, my understanding is that they are soundproof (relatively..) boxes containing a speaker, hooked up to an amp, playing at higher decibels while creating a lower noticeable noise level. Yes yes? I only found a few models online. The Randall seemed the best. Anything and everything you can tell me about these things would be useful. Thanks very much.
yeah they are made for recording and high volume gigging, they aren't very practical for just playing around, the randall one is great.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ Aren't very practical? How so? I'd be using one for home use. If it does well with recording, how wouldn't it be good for dicking with? Thanks dude.
because you need a microphone and a PA/Recording equipment to get sound out of it thats listenable. for dicking around an attenuator would be much better.

Last.fm
Hmmm. So, with an attenuator, I could get good OD tones out of a 60 watt tube amp? At what volume, roughly, if you know? Thanks.
it would be pretty low, what it does is go between the amp and the speaker and convert the excess volume into heat so you can drive the tubes hard and keep the volume at practice/recording level.

Last.fm
Awesome. One more question: would an attenuator preclude me from using the amp at louder volumes, should I need to play a gig? Thanks.
no, you can unhook the attenuator whenever, its a box that sits on or next to your amp. or you could just turn the volume on the attenuator up.

Last.fm
Awesome. Any idea, roughly, how much an isolation cabinet, mic and PA/recording gear would cost? A lot? Thanks again dude.
well recording gear won't work well for practice, a PA and speakers would be at least $300, plus about $75 for a decent mic, plus the isolation cabinet, an attenuator can be had for about $500 and is much less of a hassle.

Last.fm
Cool. I'll do that then. Thanks.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you