can someone tell me the difference between a fender jazz bass and a precision bass? my dad has a precision bass i use but he might let me switch it for a jazz.. and i have small hands so.. what would the difference be to me?
the precision bass has a punchier and warmer sound the the jazz bass... the jazz bass is more versatile and has a cleaner more defined tone

but one thing... is that AN OLD fender precision? if it is, how old?
Quote by DesolationRow0
the precision bass has a punchier and warmer sound the the jazz bass... the jazz bass is more versatile and has a cleaner more defined tone

but one thing... is that AN OLD fender precision? if it is, how old?

Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, the Jazz has a slimmer neck, so that may be the answer to his small hands.
yeah some jazzes do..... if you have small hands, try to get a fender geddy lee jazz bass, theyre some of the best sounding fender jazzes and they have the slimmer neck you can probably get...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610738

On the first friggin' page, dude...

But anyway, about it being old... If it's pre-1971, for the love of God, keep it. If it's from '72-'85, trade it without blinking... this was Fender's dark age. From '85 and on, trade it, but only if you're in dire need for a jazz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
but dude, if its your father's bass, then im guessing its an older one right?

if its an old bass like... a vintage model... you dont sell vintage basses... you sleep hugging them under your sheets, and if someone tries to steal them you smash their heads to a bloody pulp with a steel pipe... but you dont sell a vintage fender bass... EVER!!
If it's your fathers bass and it's old, sounds like a bad idea. it's not really much better to upgrade to a Jazz, they cost pretty much the same new. And if it's old, no doubt it's worth more than a new Jazz.

Also my father used to have a Jazz bass ('67 I think) and he sold it many years ago because he was in need of cash. That thing would be worth so much more now being vintage and all
Fender MIJ Precision
if its an old fender... i mean... like one from the 60's or 50's or something, they ggo for thousands of dollars on ebay and stuff... dude... if it is... dont do it, you have a jewel on your hands...
Quote by DesolationRow0
yeah some jazzes do..... if you have small hands, try to get a fender geddy lee jazz bass, theyre some of the best sounding fender jazzes and they have the slimmer neck you can probably get...

Very true. I have one. Also, Jazz basses can have more recognizable sound, which if you solo one of the pickups, you can either get a "nasaly" sound or more of a "burp". Jazz basses are better in my opinion for slap, especially if you get one with active electronics. Those run about $590
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Quote by p o e
can someone tell me the difference between a fender jazz bass and a precision bass? my dad has a precision bass i use but he might let me switch it for a jazz.. and i have small hands so.. what would the difference be to me?

the differences are,
the body, the neck, the p-ups.

the Jazz body has an off-set curvature, the P is more symetrical in shape.
the P has a wider, thicker neck, as opposed to the Jazz's narrower, thinner, neck.
the P has a single, split-coil, p-up. the Jazz has two, single coil, p-ups. both are fine basses. i like the narrow neck of the Jazz, and two p-ups give you more options for tone. the off-set body balances better on the strap, and sits more comfortably in your lap. i do agree the P has thunderous low end, that a Jazz can't quite achieve, but, i can make my Jazz sound closer to a P, than a P can get, to the Jazz sound.
using the serial #, www.fender.com can let you find out what year your Dad's bass is, look in the "support" link.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jun 20, 2007,
Frustrating when a threadstarter doesn't follow up, isn't it? I'm still waiting to find out how old his Precision is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thnx, although it's much lighter than on the website.

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194762752

When I saw that, I almost cried. Mine doesn't fade to as deep a black as that one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
no.. its an 05 if im not mistaken.. and also guys, im mainly a guitar player.. and im broke.. would it be worth trading the new precision in for an old one or a new jazz or old or.. what?
If you have to pay very much more after the trade-in, just stick with the precision. Small hands don't make that big a difference. Although, definitely try out a J, and if you like it enough, just go for it.
ok cool.. ill have to beg dad to drive me down to guitarcenter this week
thanks for the info yall.. much appreciated
my main instrument is guitar but i love the bass too so i wasnt sure at all about any of this.. and bass_kid92, when i say small hands i mean my middle finger is only 3 inches long lol
ill be getting about $200 soon so with the trade in i should be able to get it
thanks again yall
Quote by Nirvana-Man
is there a difference??

STOP

POSTING

IN

THE

BASS

FORUM

WITH

USELESS

CRAP!

Of course theres a difference. the Jazz has a slimmer neck and different pickups and electronics, and is a different shape altogether.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.