Would it work? All I have is my Geddy Lee Jazz with .40 guage strings with a .105 E,and my Jazz Bass 24 with .35 to .95 guage strings on it. Will it work? Or do I need to get another bass period. Keep in mind my small stature and inexperience with metal music.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
I assume is would work i wouldnt see wy not.But i got a schetcter elite 4 and it gets some good metallica tone with it but thats wy diff from a jazz bass.But crank the mids and lower the treb and turn up the distortion.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Why wouldn't they work? There have been plenty of Jazz's in the metal world. Sure, you might need to thicken your strings if you plan on downtuning, but if you aren't, it's all in the EQ.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Okay. Thanks. There's also a possibility I may have to play guitar though if this one guy isn't playing bass.

I also realized I don't have a guitar amp loud enough to even play guitar... better get to work!

Thanks for the help. And my dog just sat on my bass...
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Quote by DesolationRow0
it will work definitly, i would recommend .45-105 strings though...

You're right.

I hate to hijack the thread but I have some Rotosound HEAVY swing bass 66's, .50-105 I think and whenever I downtune to CGCF and play for a while, my strings will keep going out of tune. More specifically, they go to a higher note, C will go to C#and G will go to G# or A, etc.

I love playing mudvayne and I would like to know how to combat the problem. Cheers.
signature
You're right.

I hate to hijack the thread but I have some Rotosound HEAVY swing bass 66's, .50-105 I think and whenever I downtune to CGCF and play for a while, my strings will keep going out of tune. More specifically, they go to a higher note, C will go to C#and G will go to G# or A, etc.

I love playing mudvayne and I would like to know how to combat the problem. Cheers.

have you tried DR hi-beams strings?
See:

Jason Newstead
Martin Mendez

[insert more here ]
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by DesolationRow0
have you tried DR hi-beams strings?

no I've not but I'd rather not pay for new strings when these are OK apart from the detuning.
signature
those strings are amazing....... when you put them on you'll feel like you have a brand new million dollar bass for a couple of days............ and theyre great for detuning...
^ I always find that with any string that you have to leave it for a week or so for them to break in and sound their best. New strings feel horrible to me too.

To Bullet, you could try tightening the screw on the back of your tuning peg. That will stop it unwinding under the extra tension of the heavy strings. But, you might have to loosen them a bit to tune them.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by futurejmmy102
Tim Ward from The Fall of Troy uses one

The Fall of Troy also aren't metal.

Anyways, Jazz basses can be used. Many have and many more will.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by IndieMetalhead
See:

Jason Newstead
Martin Mendez

[insert more here ]

I thought that Newstead used Sadowskys

And to the threadstarter I suggest that you crank the low mids and the bass, and seriously, as tempting as it may seem, do not use distortion you will only be drowned out. If it's a riff where the bass is also or with drums, feel free. But with guitars I advice not to.
Quote by watchingmefall
I thought that Newstead used Sadowskys

And to the threadstarter I suggest that you crank the low mids and the bass, and seriously, as tempting as it may seem, do not use distortion you will only be drowned out. If it's a riff where the bass is also or with drums, feel free. But with guitars I advice not to.

He does, but they're more or less jazz basses anyways, atleast from what I've read and seen.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )