I seen people playing fast at like 190 bpm 16th notes for a long time. For example, songs like ****ing hostile by pantera. So how do you play fast like that for like 4-5 minutes? My picking hand feels pretty tire if I alternate pick at 150 bpm for a minute even though my arm is completely relaxed. Do I have to keep trying to play longer even if my arm feels tire so it builds stamina??
Practice fast picking for extended periods. It's really the only way, just like working any other muscle out, there's no super secret, it takes time and effort.
eh, it kind of is what they above me said, kind of not

recently ive had the fun experience of travelling down that path of building speed, with tremolo picking, keep in mind its CLEAN tremolo picking, as in, i dont miss notes or play extra ones, i use to be stuck at 120 bpm with sixteenth notes, now i can do 240 with sixteenth notes

start by making sure you're relaxed

when i mean that, to quote insideac, if someone hit my hand, the pick would fall out
there is next to no tension in your hand/arm/shoulder

its hard to do at first, i started at 80 bpm with 16ths, just making sure everything was relaxed

then spend about 10-15 minutes a day just tremolo picking, and like, if right now you're limit is 120, practice it starting at 120(not immediately though, make sure you're relaxed!), and then push up to like 132, and then to 144, then bring it back down, repeat as many times as you want, pushing yourself, then in like 2 or 3 days, raise your norm up to 132

itll gradually go up
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
always start slowly so you'll do things right and only than pick up the speed, thats how good technique is being built
Despite what these guys have said, there is a thread in the '80s Rock, Shread, and Progressive forum called "The Technique Thread" where you could have questions like this answered, rather than just making a thread. They can answer just about anything for you, or find a source that can (I've seen them do it ). It's stickied, so you can look there in the future if you like.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by grrrr
I seen people playing fast at like 190 bpm 16th notes for a long time. For example, songs like ****ing hostile by pantera. So how do you play fast like that for like 4-5 minutes? My picking hand feels pretty tire if I alternate pick at 150 bpm for a minute even though my arm is completely relaxed. Do I have to keep trying to play longer even if my arm feels tire so it builds stamina??

Well first of all, you want to be able to play at least a few hours at a time without stopping or getting tired, and still play at a fast speed. You say your arm is relaxed, but if it was, then you wouldn't have a problem. If you really are relaxed, then that means that you can increase the speed to say, 170, and if you force yourself, youll be able to reach the speed easily, and keep it for a few minutes, and then tire out. If you can't reach the 170 mark with a little bit of effort, then you are straining your arm in the first place and you won't be able to go any faster than what you are forcing out right now.

Either way, make sure your shoulder and arm are relaxed. When palm muting, I find that you can get a nice, chunky, yet controllable tone if you put your hand out like you are doing a karate chop, and then resting the whole side of your hand on the bridge, where your strings meet with the bridge. After this, roll your hand over and rest your first finger and thumb (your pick, basically), over the strings, and relax your other fingers, while leaving your hand on the strings. After you do this, completely loosen your picking hand, and your wrist, make it almost limp. Play a small exercise or scale, and then loosen your pick again, since at first you will tighten it without you knowing it. Then, keep doing that but look at your picking hand, and pay attention to how much force you are putting on the pick. Like EZLN said, it should be extremely light, if someone hit your hand, it should fall right out. Thats why I use the 3mm Big Stubbys, the little grip prevents me from dropping all my picks. Anyways, just pay attention to your hand, and then speed up whatever it is that you are doing, 5 or 10 bpm faster each time, and keep a close eye on your tension, and thats all, really.
insideac -- I looked at a lot of picking threads today.. cuz I want to revamp my picking technique.. the whole day.. couple hours.. I turned my picking technique upside down..

I went down to 100 bpm and am practicing there.. I'm pretty sure I've eliminated all the tension in my wrist.. the only tension that worries me is the thumb side of the wrist.. cuz I hold the pick too tight, naturally..

I mean.. besides paying constant attention to it and loosening it up.. which feels very unnatural and i keep missing notes and gettin the pick stuck on strings, but have stuck by it religiously for a long 2 hrs.. is there anything else I can do?
Quote by battleguard
insideac -- I looked at a lot of picking threads today.. cuz I want to revamp my picking technique.. the whole day.. couple hours.. I turned my picking technique upside down..

I went down to 100 bpm and am practicing there.. I'm pretty sure I've eliminated all the tension in my wrist.. the only tension that worries me is the thumb side of the wrist.. cuz I hold the pick too tight, naturally..

I mean.. besides paying constant attention to it and loosening it up.. which feels very unnatural and i keep missing notes and gettin the pick stuck on strings, but have stuck by it religiously for a long 2 hrs.. is there anything else I can do?

It shouldnt get stuck. Your hand shouldnt stay rigid, and instead it should flow just a little with the pick, and itll make your picking very fluid. Also, make sure that you don't have too much pick sticking out, or else the pick will almost always get stuck anyways. I only show a little tiny bit of the pick. Try that out, it should help a bit.
Yea.. I only have a lil bit stickin out as well.. its flowin a lil more fluid now after eh.. painstakin practice.. i think itll work out now..

you think itd be ok if after this thread is old that I pm you if i run into a rut?
Quote by battleguard
Yea.. I only have a lil bit stickin out as well.. its flowin a lil more fluid now after eh.. painstakin practice.. i think itll work out now..

you think itd be ok if after this thread is old that I pm you if i run into a rut?

Yeah I dont see why not....Hah go for it
Quote by Faux
Yes. Build up the strengh and endurance. Also you want to make sure your technique is right, so you are not straining your muscles excessively.

Good points. ^^
Your technique might be a problem, but if not, keep practising playing for longer periods of time.
I never really had stamina problems with my picking hand...... It was usually my hand on the frets, but that was because of my techneique, and then my left fingers got a little arthritic, but after a 2 month break and perfection of my technique, im perfectly fine.

Try finding problems with your technique.
Quote by AlchoholicA
hah weakling.. it's easy just play miserlou a couple times everyday ;]

So...what? You get tired after playing it a couple of times?
Quote by insideac
So...what? You get tired after playing it a couple of times?

nope I can play eruption all day without getting tired
...eruption and miserlou are different
in case you didnt know
eruption=tapping
and miserlou=tremolo picking

oh and to insideac, yeah, gee i dont know where i got that quote about if you hit my hand, the pick would fall out...
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
...eruption and miserlou are different
in case you didnt know
eruption=tapping
and miserlou=tremolo picking

oh and to insideac, yeah, gee i dont know where i got that quote about if you hit my hand, the pick would fall out...

Um, there's tremelo picking inolved in Eruption aswell... fool.
Try playing at a pretty comfortable speed for a while, then doing short bursts at faster speeds...then back to the comfortable speed. Continue until fast
Is it bad that i can only solo at 90BPM? I just tried it out today my first time with an online metronome.

what is an average max speed for most people?
"Those with the heart and the brain to get past it can spot a pathetic without even asking" -Phil
its not bad that you can only solo at that speed, the most important thing is that you can solo at that speed AND sound good.

and "most people" didnt start playing at 240bpm did they? and even if you didnt just start what you're doing is a good thing. Playing at a relatively slow speed (90bpm) is one of the best things you can do for your technique, provided you're completely relaxed and not using unnecessary effort. You're building up muscle memory and stamina that you're going to discover one day. It was like that for me I played INSANELY SLOW until iunno, it just clicked.
i have a 'white guitar'
i have had this question for a while. i have tried picking really fast and i cant do it. What i want to be able to do it hit the same string or 2 strings next to eachother really fast. One problem is im not too good at going up and down while picking. Is there anything that i can do to become better at it? I dont know how to not hit the string with less pick. My pick always goes too deep and i end up getting "stuck" on a string preventing me from going fast. So there its is. My fast picking problem. Can any1 help me?
Quote by .fallen
its not bad that you can only solo at that speed, the most important thing is that you can solo at that speed AND sound good.

and "most people" didnt start playing at 240bpm did they? and even if you didnt just start what you're doing is a good thing. Playing at a relatively slow speed (90bpm) is one of the best things you can do for your technique, provided you're completely relaxed and not using unnecessary effort. You're building up muscle memory and stamina that you're going to discover one day. It was like that for me I played INSANELY SLOW until iunno, it just clicked.

Thats good to know. I'll continue at 90 and use all these tecniques that are being discussed here.
"Those with the heart and the brain to get past it can spot a pathetic without even asking" -Phil
Quote by jakethemetsfan
i have had this question for a while. i have tried picking really fast and i cant do it. What i want to be able to do it hit the same string or 2 strings next to eachother really fast. One problem is im not too good at going up and down while picking. Is there anything that i can do to become better at it? I dont know how to not hit the string with less pick. My pick always goes too deep and i end up getting "stuck" on a string preventing me from going fast. So there its is. My fast picking problem. Can any1 help me?

like someone else here already said, only let a little piece of the pick stick out.

Also you may do better with a different kind of pick. I was having trouble using a standard heavy pick and when i got jazz 3 picks, i was able to go much faster.
Question. Should you use mostly arm, wrist, or hand muscles to move your pick? I tend to use my arm mostly. Or, does it even matter?
daltonator: wrist or fingers, the arm is acceptable if you're doing a lot of chord work, but if you're picking single strings or power chords then wrist or fingers... personally i use wrist

jakethemetsfan: hold your pick however it's most comfortable for you, i can't hold mine with just a little bit poking out and it's never hindered my playing; i hold it near the top and roll my thumb down when i want to do pinch harmonics.
for your alternate picking problem: firstly, don't anchor, no part of your right hand should be touching the guitar unless you're doing palm mutes.
second, start slowly, very slowly, and just use the tip of the pick on the strings (concentrate on doing it) in an down, up, down, up motion.. really focus on making sure you only use what's necessary.
when you can do that start building up speed but if you run into trouble slow down and work your way up to speed again.

it could take quite a while to get used to it but it's worth it and if you develop proper picking technique now you wont have to battle against bad habits later.