I'm currently learning how to play it!
Anyone here play it ? Good at it ?

Anyone know anywhere on the net where i can play for free ?
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
Quote by arsonite
www.partypoker.net

www.triplejack.com

Lol I remember the UG poker days.

ahh they were so good

but really, real life poker > online poker

mates and I were doing it, not with real money because 3 out of 6 were learning
would have made £2000 out of it with my full house though
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I'm playing now, not for real money, I want to get some practice in first, and then maybe start playing for money.

Could somebody explain this to me though, I know what beats what and all that, I just don't understand, why sometimes you have to "check" and sometimes "call".

Could someone explain the betting side of it to me ?
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
Quote by guitaristdave
I'm playing now, not for real money, I want to get some practice in first, and then maybe start playing for money.

Could somebody explain this to me though, I know what beats what and all that, I just don't understand, why sometimes you have to "check" and sometimes "call".

Could someone explain the betting side of it to me ?

You check when no other amount has been raised. You call when an amount has been rasied.

For instance, when the second round of betting commences, the first player (Small Blind), if not wanting to raise, will 'Check' because there is currently no amount for him to 'Call' as he is the first to play. A 'check' is a way of staying in the hand without betting. However, as I said, you can only check if there is no amount you're required to call.

Calling is the other way of staying in the hand. If someone bets an amount (say $4), then you'll have to call the $4 to stay in the hand. If you refuse to call the $4, you must fold. However, if you'd like to raise on the $4, you simply put $4 into the pot along with the amount you're raising.

Note: The amount you raise usually must be be at least equal to the amount raised before you.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I'm glad you asked, I play nearly every Tuesday night down at the Handlebar (for those of you in Sydney).

The aim of the game is to have more chips than your opponents (obviously), but the way to do that is vital. I'll just jot down some basic points - the rest you'll learn by playing the game.

Hopefully, you know the process of betting e.g. antes, big/small blind, check, raise etc - if not, just post and I'll mention it to you later on. Also, I'm talking about no-limit Texas Holdem. Also, I assume you know the card/hand ranks.

* Don't play every hand. It is always tempting to have a look at the flop regardless of what cards you have in your hands, but you must resist temptation and fold away 'bad' hands - usually non-picture cards unless they are pairs or if on the rare occassion, suited. From my personal experiences, I don't really play suited cards - flushes aren't my thing.

Add to the fact that the blind swill come around your way every 8 or so hands, this will slowly eat away at your stack, eventually leaving you to go all in with nothing.

* Don't be a tourist. If you have good cards, make sure you look like you don't have good cards. Lifting the edge of your cards and having a big grin on your face is a dead give away

* Look at the community cards - this is a given, but even I sometimes don't focus on the 5 cards on the table. I might be excited at my two pair and bet big when the river card appears, but I would probably not notice the 4 cards in a row or 4 cards of the same suit. And as you know Straight or flush beats two pair.

* Bet smart. This is probably the most difficult aspect of poker, in conjunction with body language, one must control how they bet when in a winning situation. Variables such as someone else having a good hand and your position next to the dealer impacts on this. My method, which usually works well (most times) is the check-check-bet method.

As mentioned previously, this alway depends on where you are sitting, I'll create a little scenario. D-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8. Just imagine that 6 players fold, so it is between 1 and 8, 8 being myself. It is always upto the person next on the dealers left to start betting - they will either say, check or bet. Regardelss of what they say, if you have, say pocket Aces, you can manipulate what they do.

Flop:
- 1: Bet 100
- Me: Call
Turn card:
- 1: Bet 500:
- Me: Call
River card:
- 1: Bet 500
- Me: all in

This way, you will either buy the pot, or get rewarded handsomely if your opponent does call. Just bare in mind, if you have good pockets, and nothing comings up till the turn card - fold.

Anything else, just ask.
Are you reelin' in the years?
Thanks dude.

Anyone else got any tips or anything ?
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
I do like poker.

TIP: Watch feet. No lies. Feet give away everything. Hands do too.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Guitaristdave, are you going to be playing poker predominantly online, or off? Because the tactics and strategy are vastly differently in each scenario...
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I started playing a while ago and got really good.

Then I got really good at second dealing, bottom dealing, and false cuts.

Now I don't play.
Quote by Dr Grinwraith
monthly fee......

Yes and no. There is a monthly fee if you wanna play in the really big money games but it's free to play with play money or get into $10-$200 tourny's.

They also have qualifying tournys for $5,000, $10,000, and $20,000 quarterly tournys. I assure you of this.