Page 1 of 2
My dad works at a very popular radio station here in St Louis as a General Sales Director. Because of this high position he has at his station, he gets a few free tickets every once and awhile to concerts here. About a month ago my dad told me that me and him were going to John Mayer in 2nd row! Im immediatly stoped because John Mayer is like my idol. Last night, as I was getting ready for the concert, he calls me up and says:

"Hey, you didn't really want to go to the concert did you, because I kinda gave away our tickets to Lesleigh (my dad's girlfriend's daughter) because she wanted to go really bad." Not only do I hate this chick, shes a stoner so shed probably be too stoned to even recognize that shes at the concert. Basically, i blew up. I was pissed off beyond belief that he would just give away 2nd row tickets to someone whos a huge influence for me.

Whos right in this situation? Am I acting like a prick because after all they are his tickets but he did tell me that I could have them. Thoughts?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Kill that bitch
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Dude I feel you. Give him the cold shoulder. Tell him that Lesleigh's a stoner.

My friends are going to John Mayer sometime in July, its in NJ, but if I could, I'd steal their tickets and give them to you.

But then they wouldn't have tickets and they're really hot chicks and they'd hate me and I'd accomplish nothing
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
It was just a misunderstanding me thinks. Your dad seems nice, but that he just made a mistake. I know it's hard, but your best off letting it go. Too late to do anything now.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Chill. He just wants to get in his girlfriends good books so he gets some action. Don't be a cockblock.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Alreddyded
Kill that bitch

+1
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
Basically, i blew up.

Like a balloon, or like an atomic bomb? Either one is fine, really.

Seriously, though, that's shit. My idol is Satch and if someone gave away my Satch tickets, I think I'd weep myself to sleep.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Jun 21, 2007,
Wow, many sides and thoughts to this.

1)I don't like John Mayer. At all. But I guess what John Mayer to you is like Pantera to me. So that rules out that theory.

2)I would be pissed as well. Especially if my stuff was given to someone I didn't like.

3)Although you have a right to be angry, you don't. Because, technically, those weren't your tickets; just hand-me-downs from your dad's radio station. But then again, if you paid for them, then yeah, kill the bitch, y'know?
I want links to a myspace or sometihng for her
so i can see if she is actually a stoner
but
in all honesty

kill her
That's harsh man. The least he could've done was give one ticket to her and one to you. And if he knows you don't like her/she doesn't like you, and he still gave the tickets to her then that's even more bloody harsh.

Yeah, I'd be ****ing pissed if I were you mate.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
yeah kill her, and i must say it was not that nice that your dad said that you where going to get the tickets, it would be diferent if he wouldn't have told you,
Må Den Svarta Älgen Ta Er!
I'm sorry man, but your dad's a dick. If he told you they were yours, then he shouldn't have given them away.
I know what it's like to have your parents favour other people over you. My mother and my wife get along really well to the point where sometimes I feel like my wife is the daughter she never had and it even borders on resentment sometimes.

However, I don't think that you're in any kind of position to be making demands. They were his tickets to give away. You didn't pay for them. This guy has provided for you every single day since the day you were born. He knocked up your mother and then stuck around to see you grow up. That's the biggest sacrifice anyone can make for another human. I don't see how you can have any sense of entitlement. It is crummy that he led you to believe you were going and then changed his mind. That was kind of mean. Yet it was still his call and if you want to go see John Mayer so badly then get a job and pay for the tickets yourself. Your dad doesn't owe you anything. If anything it's the other way around.

You kind of remind me of kids who blow up on xmas morning because their parents bought them the wrong colour iPod.
Quote by garett
I know what it's like to have your parents favour other people over you. My mother and my wife get along really well to the point where sometimes I feel like my wife is the daughter she never had and it even borders on resentment sometimes.

However, I don't think that you're in any kind of position to be making demands. They were his tickets to give away. You didn't pay for them. This guy has provided for you every single day since the day you were born. He knocked up your mother and then stuck around to see you grow up. That's the biggest sacrifice anyone can make for another human. I don't see how you can have any sense of entitlement. It is crummy that he led you to believe you were going and then changed his mind. That was kind of mean. Yet it was still his call and if you want to go see John Mayer so badly then get a job and pay for the tickets yourself. Your dad doesn't owe you anything. If anything it's the other way around.

You kind of remind me of kids who blow up on xmas morning because their parents bought them the wrong colour iPod.

I see what you mean but it's hardly fair to compare him to a spoilt little brat... after all, his dad did say he could go and then went and gave the tickets to someone he despises.

I agree with you to an extent but still, wouldn't you be pissed off in the same situation?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by This_Kidd
I see what you mean but it's hardly fair to compare him to a spoilt little brat... after all, his dad did say he could go and then went and gave the tickets to someone he despises.

I agree with you to an extent but still, wouldn't you be pissed off in the same situation?
I would feel let down. I agree that it was a little mean of his dad to tell him they were going and then give them to someone else. And I did state that in my original post as well. The dad loses some points for getting his son's hopes up.

But to "blow up" ? The kid said in his original post that his dad gets a lot of free tickets and they go to shows a lot. So this kid has an advantage over the vast majority of other kids. Now I'm sure John Mayer, specifically, was a really big deal. Maybe all of the other shows that he's gone to combined don't match what seeing John Mayer once would. However, it's not like the kid has a job and was about to stand in line over night to get good tickets when his dad says "Hey, wait ... don't bother. We've got free tickets". No. The kid expects hand outs and when his dad fails to deliver ONCE he "blows up" (his own words). Sorry that is spoiled in my book.

I have two children and maybe I'm just not a good father but honestly when someone has a child and sticks around to raise that child they have done something that is incredibly self-less and more of a commitment than most other people would ever know. I assume that this kid is clothed, fed, being given an education, has a bed to sleep in, has friends and has his dad in his life. So he doesn't get to go to one concert. But the way his dad looked at it was probably like this. "My son and I go to a ton of concerts for free all of the time because of who I am. This girl, on the other hand, doesn't get to go to very many and I know that it would really make her day if she got to go". Sure it was a little ****ty of him to change his mind after he had already told his son ... but the kid himself said that they go to a lot of shows together.
I've been to a grand total of two concerts in my entire life and I had to pay for both of them myself. And I consider myself extremely lucky. This kid could have been born in India and had his parents sell him into prostitution but instead he's got a great dad that stuck around to raise him and takes him to concerts for free all the time. And he has the gull to complain ?!
The wisdom of a grown man, juxtapose against a bunch of teenie-tards = Lots of ownage.
BOLD.
Quote by garett
I would feel let down. I agree that it was a little mean of his dad to tell him they were going and then give them to someone else. And I did state that in my original post as well. The dad loses some points for getting his son's hopes up.

But to "blow up" ? The kid said in his original post that his dad gets a lot of free tickets and they go to shows a lot. So this kid has an advantage over the vast majority of other kids. Now I'm sure John Mayer, specifically, was a really big deal. Maybe all of the other shows that he's gone to combined don't match what seeing John Mayer once would. However, it's not like the kid has a job and was about to stand in line over night to get good tickets when his dad says "Hey, wait ... don't bother. We've got free tickets". No. The kid expects hand outs and when his dad fails to deliver ONCE he "blows up" (his own words). Sorry that is spoiled in my book.

I have two children and maybe I'm just not a good father but honestly when someone has a child and sticks around to raise that child they have done something that is incredibly self-less and more of a commitment than most other people would ever know. I assume that this kid is clothed, fed, being given an education, has a bed to sleep in, has friends and has his dad in his life. So he doesn't get to go to one concert. But the way his dad looked at it was probably like this. "My son and I go to a ton of concerts for free all of the time because of who I am. This girl, on the other hand, doesn't get to go to very many and I know that it would really make her day if she got to go". Sure it was a little ****ty of him to change his mind after he had already told his son ... but the kid himself said that they go to a lot of shows together.
I've been to a grand total of two concerts in my entire life and I had to pay for both of them myself. And I consider myself extremely lucky. This kid could have been born in India and had his parents sell him into prostitution but instead he's got a great dad that stuck around to raise him and takes him to concerts for free all the time. And he has the gull to complain ?!

I see what you mean but I still think the kid has a reason to be mad, he didn't say that his dad gets tons of free tickets, he said he gets a few free tickets every once in a while so I would assume he goes to 3-4 free concerts a year, also it's not for certain that he wasn't going to pay for the tickets himself but then his dad offered him. I mean my dad offered to take me to BB. King and I obviously accepted because I love BB and he's probably to me what John Mayer is to this kid and if my dad hadn't offered to take me I would have paid for them myself and if he had just suddenly given away the tickets damn right i'd be mad. Of course i'm just ranting I have no idea what the circumstances were but based on what TS has told me his dad led him on to believe that he was going to the concert and the NIGHT of the concert calls him and tells him he's not going, that's a huge letdown and I think he has every right to be mad unless there's something he's not telling us
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
That sucks dude but at this point there's nothing you can do about it. Getting all pissy is only going to make your dad feel bad about. Also, it sounds like around him you didn't seem to excited about the show, so he figured you probably wouldn't care that much. It's all just a little miscommunication.
Bleh. Call up and get the blind seats; I got ten rows back from the stage at RHCP last January by doing that, though I asked about the "visually impaired" seating which meant I could get seats with "a great view."
well if he told u beforehand he was gonna give them to u then i think u have a right to be mad
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Well, he told you you were going to the show, and then, without telling you, he gave away the tickets. That's very assbackward. If he knew it wasn't a big deal, he would have told you before he gave the tickets away.

So, what he did is give the tickets to someone else, and can now use them to say, "Well, they already have the tickets, and it would be rude to ask for a gift back..."

They same thing happened to me, only instead of tickets, my dad gave away my CATS. I had to go through a lot of people to contact him, and when I do, he gives me this bullshit sob story about, "Oh, well, her cat passed away, so I gave her Lark.." Instead of making an effort to tell me what was going on, he decided to give away someone's cat. My mom did the same thing with my first guitar, because she wanted to get high.
goddamn marijuana addicts always get what they want we should kill them all...except me
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I would physically attack your dad.

He sold you out so he could get sex from his girlfriend (or maybe her daughter?) and its bro's above ho's in my opinion.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Doesn't your father know who your idols are? Cause if he's working at a radiostation he should be interested in music and know something about your music taste.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Quote by lemon
I see what you mean but I still think the kid has a reason to be mad, he didn't say that his dad gets tons of free tickets, he said he gets a few free tickets every once in a while so I would assume he goes to 3-4 free concerts a year, also it's not for certain that he wasn't going to pay for the tickets himself but then his dad offered him. I mean my dad offered to take me to BB. King and I obviously accepted because I love BB and he's probably to me what John Mayer is to this kid and if my dad hadn't offered to take me I would have paid for them myself and if he had just suddenly given away the tickets damn right i'd be mad. Of course i'm just ranting I have no idea what the circumstances were but based on what TS has told me his dad led him on to believe that he was going to the concert and the NIGHT of the concert calls him and tells him he's not going, that's a huge letdown and I think he has every right to be mad unless there's something he's not telling us
3 - 4 concerts / year is "tons" IMO. I don't remember anyone I knew in high school who went to 3 - 4 concerts / year ... let alone for free.

The thing that irks me is the sense of entitlement. I agree that it was the fact that the father let him think he was going and then canceled that makes it really crummy. Anyone feels upset when they get let down be it for a date or whatever. But the fact that the kid got so worked up over it as if his dad owes him something.

Of course neither of us know the exact circumstances. He also contradicts himself slightly. First he says that he and his dad are going to go and then towards the end he says that his dad told him that "he could have them [the tickets]". Some might not see a big difference but IMO one is saying "here they're yours take them" and the other is saying "*I* have two tickets and I'd like you to come with me". If it's the latter then I think the kid is being extremely spoiled. If it's the former then that's a little different but still, they were free. It's not like his dad was robbing him of something.

There's also another possibility. His dad could have said "I have the tickets and I'd like you to come with me" and he interpreted it as "here have them". If that's the case then he's even more spoiled than he comes across.
As somone stated before, he was probably getting points for the lady.

Let it go.

EDIt
I've had the same thing happen to me
but it was like

the month before a linkin park concert when i was in 6th grade,
he said he would get tickets
but he apologized and said he forgot
so whatever.

And he got roger water tickets for two days after school was over
SCORE.

He'll make it up to you some how.
I don't even shred
Quote by garett
3 - 4 concerts / year is "tons" IMO. I don't remember anyone I knew in high school who went to 3 - 4 concerts / year ... let alone for free.

The thing that irks me is the sense of entitlement. I agree that it was the fact that the father let him think he was going and then canceled that makes it really crummy. Anyone feels upset when they get let down be it for a date or whatever. But the fact that the kid got so worked up over it as if his dad owes him something.

Of course neither of us know the exact circumstances. He also contradicts himself slightly. First he says that he and his dad are going to go and then towards the end he says that his dad told him that "he could have them [the tickets]". Some might not see a big difference but IMO one is saying "here they're yours take them" and the other is saying "*I* have two tickets and I'd like you to come with me". If it's the latter then I think the kid is being extremely spoiled. If it's the former then that's a little different but still, they were free. It's not like his dad was robbing him of something.

There's also another possibility. His dad could have said "I have the tickets and I'd like you to come with me" and he interpreted it as "here have them". If that's the case then he's even more spoiled than he comes across.

still, it would have been less rude if his dad had told him before he gave the tickets away to someone who isn't even his child. I'm wondering why he didn't have more integrity, and that's what the problem is for me.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
My dad works at a very popular radio station here in St Louis as a General Sales Director. Because of this high position he has at his station, he gets a few free tickets every once and awhile to concerts here. About a month ago my dad told me that me and him were going to John Mayer in 2nd row! Im immediatly stoped because John Mayer is like my idol. Last night, as I was getting ready for the concert, he calls me up and says:

"Hey, you didn't really want to go to the concert did you, because I kinda gave away our tickets to Lesleigh (my dad's girlfriend's daughter) because she wanted to go really bad." Not only do I hate this chick, shes a stoner so shed probably be too stoned to even recognize that shes at the concert. Basically, i blew up. I was pissed off beyond belief that he would just give away 2nd row tickets to someone whos a huge influence for me.

Whos right in this situation? Am I acting like a prick because after all they are his tickets but he did tell me that I could have them. Thoughts?

Nobody is right. You are both wrong.

Your dad gave away those tickets he promised you -- WRONG.

You blew up -- WRONG.

How do you make it right?
FIRST, fix what you have control of, your own behaviour.
Apologize to your dad about acting out, and MEAN IT!

SECOND, talk to your dad CALMLY and tell him this was important to you - a defining moment in your life. 2nd row seats to see John Mayer is a huge opportunity for you. You are crushed that he promised you, and took that away. ASK him to please fix it.

THIRD, whatever the outcome, LEAVE IT BE. You don't have control over what happens, only of how you act, and respond. If he makes good on his promise, great. If he doesn't, whining about it will only further damage your relationship with you dad. Telling him that he has disappointed you is an appropriate response. Any theatrics are inappropriate.

You will have to learn to deal with disappointments in your life. That's part of growing up. I hope you don't have to learn that, just now.

good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Oh wow, that blows. I know you're really mad, but I guess there was a misunderstanding and your dad made a mistake...

Ugh man, that sucks

We still love you!
Who dat?
Yeah, you reacted like anyone in that situation.

Just try to explain what you feel. He should try to make it up to you.
Well if my dad did that I wold rip his sack off and run it through a meat grinder.
This is a .44 caliber love letter straight from my heart!

I'm the FUCKin' pope of Morelloism
pm me or tano to become a follower of the newest BS religion

member of
**** the MCR Fan Club ****
Pm darkangel24 to join
Quote by MakinLattes
still, it would have been less rude if his dad had told him before he gave the tickets away to someone who isn't even his child. I'm wondering why he didn't have more integrity, and that's what the problem is for me.
I'm fortunate enough to have two perspectives. When I was a child my mother used to treat other kids better than me and my brother and it really bothered me. However, now I'm a parent and I get to see things a little differently.

Maybe I'm just an asshole to look at this way, but I gave up my entire life for my children. Obviously that doesn't automatically guarantee their love and I don't have any delusions of entitlement from them. I could stick with them and beat them and I wouldn't be any better than had I ditched them before they were born. But I stuck around. I feed them, clothe them, educate them, spend time with them, love them etc. Having said all of that, what do I do for people outside of my family ? Not a whole lot.

So from this dad's perspective, and I said this in an earlier post of mine, he probably thought to himself "I take my son to concerts a lot, this girl isn't so lucky" and he did something nice for someone else.

From the son's perspective he probably feels a little neglected because he's the guy's son for crying out loud and who the hell is she ? I've been there. I know how that feels. But the son needs to remember that his dad gave up his entire life to raise him and he won't understand just how big of a sacrifice that is until he has ungrateful spoiled little farts of his own to blow up on him when he does something nice for someone outside of the family.
Page 1 of 2