Is it advisable or possible at all to study classical guitar and Jazz at the same time? Now at first glance this may seem like a stupid question but I have my reasons for bringing this up, let me try and explain. The dedication and perseverance you need to play classical guitar seems to demand all of ones attention, with no time to dabble in any other style. Also It seems that you need a very srtict technique that is not so foccused in Jazz or the blues. I mean can you play jazz like django reindhart or wail away like stevie ray when you have been training in classical guitarists frame of mind. Should I dedicate myself to just one thing? How often do you see john willimas playing a bluesy lick? Hope this makes some kind of sence?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
If you want to study classical styles fully you will not have much time for much else if you

However, life is pretty long.

Jim Hall, for example, had a long classical education on guitar before crossing over into Jazz.
I've actually been advised by my jazz teacher to study classical.

But this is for piano, not guitar, it very well could differ, since guitar seems to have a far larger spectrum of stylistic techniques.
It is true that the techniques developed by classical guitarists (or any musician) can easily be applied to jazz; in fact it is very beneficial (Jim Hall is a great example, again)

But you have to decide whether you have the time and dedication to give both of them the attention they deserve.
Quote by Nick_
If you want to study classical styles fully you will not have much time for much else if you

However, life is pretty long.

Jim Hall, for example, had a long classical education on guitar before crossing over into Jazz.

Its interesting you say that because thats exactly what I was thinking. My dilema is that I love classical guitar and would love to study it but at the same time I love jazz, blues, rock. I mean I would like to be proficient at playing classical but at the same time be able to swap over and play authentic gypsy jazz or some srv style blues. But as you say you need to dedicate everything you have into classicla. Also can you really play blues and jazz when you have been trained to think like a classical guitar player?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.