After a lot of research and playing it for a while, I'm 89% sure I want an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, so now I've finally started looking at the different styles to see what fits me. Now I love the LP look, but some of the paint jobs are pretty old school, so I did some looking around and found this: here.

Much better for my tastes! Almost looks like some of the new prs tremonti's. They match all the specs for a normal lp standard plus, but I can't find these anywhere else, only at musicians friend (which imo tends to be a tad over-priced).

So basically I'm asking, whats the deal with the limitied edition epi lp's? Is it normal for certain stores to carry special versions like this. Is this an epiphone thing, or did that store take a normal lp and deck it out with it's own paint job (which worries me).

Also, has anyone had any luck bargaining with local stores to match online prices. Preferably I'd like to buy from a brick and morter shop in case something goes wrong. If so, whats the trick? I'd like to get them to at the least match the price, but getting a gig back or hard shell out of the deal would be great as well. Stories are welcome.

Thanks for any insights!
Some stores have exclusives. But I don't think you'll find a better price anyway.
Last edited by Warren Peace at Jun 21, 2007,
Trans Black is the most beautiful finish ever.

Too bad Gibson nor Epi don't offer this as a normal finish, only limited edition.
It's definitely an Epiphone thing, it's not refinished by MF.

I think all the big guitar stores will have it for the same price as MF. They usually don't mess with the MSRP much on mass produced guitars like that. And I haven't seen too much variation in guitar prices anyway...

If you went somewhere like Guitar Center, you could probably get it for that price with a free case.
These are limited edition LPs that are specifically made for larger vendors. Other vendors may have different variations of the LP as well. As far as I know, you will not see this one at any brick and mortar store including Guitar Center. Only on musiciansfriend.

I actually bought the SAME Limited Edition LP Standard Plus last year. The picture was trans black, CHROME pickup covers, CHROME hardware, NO pickguard. When it arrived it was the one you posted above. No covers, WITH black pickguard, BLACK Hardware. More importantly, the trans black was SOOO dark, you could hardly see the woodgrain....the signature of a "plus" version. It was extremely light, lighter than what I expected, and something small was loose in the body cavity. I shipped it back immediately. I called at bitched about misrepresentation of the guitar and they finally replaced the picture with the one you see.....as you can tell, they havent replaced the description yet..."Chrome-Covered Humbuckers", and "Chrome Hardware". This is obviously STILL an error and the guitar will look just like the picture, not the description. Sadly, I still it felt way too light for a LP.

Now, a few weeks back, I bought this one...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518073

PM Me if you want to know how you can get it for $399.

I love it. I will highlight the differences:

Chrome hardware (not gold)
Chrome Pickguard (Not black 3-ply)
Chrome mounting rings (Not black)
Open Coil HBs (No chrome covers)
Small little stamp on back of headstock that says its a limited edition.

These Limited Guitars are limited to the particular style made for MF. Mostly cosmetic.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Last edited by Ljk825 at Jun 22, 2007,

You mean this one, apmaman?
I would buy this guitar right now if I weren't already deadset on getting a Gibson.
They say it's limited so that people would buy more of them.

But some of the guitars are seriously cool.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Silent Dirge,

I will respond back to you when I get home from work. I am having difficuly posting from PM right now.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Quote by -heartbreaker-

You mean this one, apmaman?
I would buy this guitar right now if I weren't already deadset on getting a Gibson.

That is the said beast there, so nice. Its a shame im not loaded

PSN ID: ArranP
So many options I love my Epi. LP standard plus, but after seeing all the cool customs and limited additions I realize what I could have gotten instead.

BTW what about the studio chameleon or plain top? They're not as unique and such but they have mahogany bodies.

Also the chameleon appears to change color with light.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Chameleon-Electric-Guitar?sku=514350
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jun 22, 2007,
So I'm actually starting to sway towards the chrome custom, but can anyone tell me the differences between an epi lp standard vs the custom?