Gear
Squier Affinity Telecaster

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-affinity-tele/9042

Roland Cube 15X

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70526

Korg CA-30

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/korg-ca-30/3552

And i'll just get cables, strap etc from a guitar shop.

So, is that okay for the money i am paying or can i get any better?

Questions
- Ok, so i plan to have some lessons as i've read some posts on here and people seem to swear by them. I want to know if there is anything i can do when i get the guitar before i start taking lessons. Like anything i should start learning etc

Another thing, how much do lessons generally cost..i assume they are around £20 an hour?

- Last question...is it wise to order a guitar, amp and anything else from the internet?

All help greatly appreciated
Quote by Griffo01

- Last question...is it wise to order a guitar, amp and anything else from the internet?

I don't know really about the rest of the stuff and I'm brand new at playing too. I just got my guitar yesterday. I think I can help you with the last question though. I went to Guitar Center but originally I was thinking about getting a guitar off Musician's Friend or an online site like that. Now I'm really really glad I went to guitar center instead.

Especially for someone who doesn't know much about guitars, it was really nice to be able to go into a store to see and feel and listen to the product you're getting. And if you order online you never know what condition it might arrive in. At least if you get it in a store you can test your gear out to make sure it's what you want and that it all works properly.
go to a guitar shop to buy ur first guitar.

Its always better becuase u have no idea how the guitar sounds or plays if u buy off internet.

Same goes for the amp

as for lessons, im not sure i dont have them.

you might want to start learning the basics.

Picking
hammers ons-pulls offs
bends

learn the basics of reading tab, what the symbols repreasents.

that kind of stuff
Last edited by ashfieldsjse at Jun 21, 2007,
Quote by HollyW07
I don't know really about the rest of the stuff and I'm brand new at playing too. I just got my guitar yesterday. I think I can help you with the last question though. I went to Guitar Center but originally I was thinking about getting a guitar off Musician's Friend or an online site like that. Now I'm really really glad I went to guitar center instead.

Especially for someone who doesn't know much about guitars, it was really nice to be able to go into a store to see and feel and listen to the product you're getting. And if you order online you never know what condition it might arrive in. At least if you get it in a store you can test your gear out to make sure it's what you want and that it all works properly.

The condition etc was what i was worried about when thinking about buying online. Also it helps that i can take it back straight away if it's from a local shop. But i have no idea how i would try it to see how it sounds if i can't even play anything

Thanks for all the help so far people
Quote by Griffo01
The condition etc was what i was worried about when thinking about buying online. Also it helps that i can take it back straight away if it's from a local shop. But i have no idea how i would try it to see how it sounds if i can't even play anything

Thanks for all the help so far people

I didn't know how to play anything either. The guy who helped me though was really nice and he plugged about four different guitars in and played to let me hear the differences and there -was- a pretty big difference in sound quality between the guitars he tested out for me. He had me hold them and showed me one or two notes to strum so I could get a feel for the neck, and the weight of the guitar.
Quote by HollyW07
I didn't know how to play anything either. The guy who helped me though was really nice and he plugged about four different guitars in and played to let me hear the differences and there -was- a pretty big difference in sound quality between the guitars he tested out for me. He had me hold them and showed me one or two notes to strum so I could get a feel for the neck, and the weight of the guitar.

Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. I hope the people in the local guitar shops here are as nice!

Should be getting it all next week so i think i will go looking around before then
Quote by Griffo01
Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. I hope the people in the local guitar shops here are as nice!

Should be getting it all next week so i think i will go looking around before then

Yeah I'm really glad I chose to go to GC instead of shopping online for my gear. Just make sure you ask alot of questions, try to think of anything as far as gear goes, that you might need and see what the guy(or girl) suggests. And I did alot of looking around and research online so I went there roughly knowing what I wanted.

Course I ended up spending about $1,000 more than I intended to. lol. I went there to get an Epi Les Paul and came home with a Gibson Les Paul.

The other thing is I didn't really have a specific amp in mind when I went there. My main goal was the guitar so that's what I focused on. The salesguy who helped me didn't explain about other amps, just the one he tested the guitars on, and that's the one I ended up getting. Now I wish I'd asked about amps and had him show me some other amps in the same price range because I might have been able to get something better, for what I paid.

Still, it was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself when I was there. Plus the guy who sold me my guitar gives bass and guitar lessons so I'm considering that too. I practiced for the first time yesterday (2 hours) and now I can play 3 notes.

I think I'm done. I'm at work avoiding actually working. lol. I should probably try to get something done. And when you get your gear, show some pics so I can see how sexy it is.
Quote by HollyW07
Yeah I'm really glad I chose to go to GC instead of shopping online for my gear. Just make sure you ask alot of questions, try to think of anything as far as gear goes, that you might need and see what the guy(or girl) suggests. And I did alot of looking around and research online so I went there roughly knowing what I wanted.

Course I ended up spending about $1,000 more than I intended to. lol. I went there to get an Epi Les Paul and came home with a Gibson Les Paul.

The other thing is I didn't really have a specific amp in mind when I went there. My main goal was the guitar so that's what I focused on. The salesguy who helped me didn't explain about other amps, just the one he tested the guitars on, and that's the one I ended up getting. Now I wish I'd asked about amps and had him show me some other amps in the same price range because I might have been able to get something better, for what I paid.

Still, it was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself when I was there. Plus the guy who sold me my guitar gives bass and guitar lessons so I'm considering that too. I practiced for the first time yesterday (2 hours) and now I can play 3 notes.

I think I'm done. I'm at work avoiding actually working. lol. I should probably try to get something done. And when you get your gear, show some pics so I can see how sexy it is.

Haha, i'll get pics indeed.

Unlucky about work I just finished my first year at college and now i have nothing to do and i've been putting off learning guitar forever, so now seems like the time to learn. Yeah, i was hoping to ask about lessons at the guitar shops too, see if there was anybody they recommended or if they had a notice board with it on. Only thing i was worried with about lessons (and i know this sounds stupid) is that the teacher might think i'm an idiot for not knowing anything as they will have to teach me EVERYTHING from the start

But i guess that's what they do...
Quote by Griffo01
Haha, i'll get pics indeed.

Unlucky about work I just finished my first year at college and now i have nothing to do and i've been putting off learning guitar forever, so now seems like the time to learn. Yeah, i was hoping to ask about lessons at the guitar shops too, see if there was anybody they recommended or if they had a notice board with it on. Only thing i was worried with about lessons (and i know this sounds stupid) is that the teacher might think i'm an idiot for not knowing anything as they will have to teach me EVERYTHING from the start
But i guess that's what they do...

Me too! But taking guitar lessons when you know everything sort of defeats the purpose of needing lessons. It would be nice to know everything right away but alas, the world doesn't work that way.

Too bad we don't live in the same area. It would be fun to take lessons with someone just as new as me.
i would not recomend getting it from the internet because you dont know what condition it is in and you dont get to play it before you buy it
I'm gonna give you a little bit of advice right now: don't let a salesperson push you into an amp, especially if it's a Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG.

If you tell us what kind of music you like/want to play, we can steer you into gear that will help you achieve the right sound. When you go to the store, talk to the salesperson about it too, because obviously we don't know every piece of gear in your local place.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^^

ya, lots of salesmen jump on the line6 bandwagon, and being new you wont know differently, but in a couple of months you'll be dying for an upgrade..

also the best cheap starter amps imo here at the united states are the Cube series and the VoxAD series...i'd choose between those 2

Edit: nevermind, saw ur not in the states...maybe these two amps are still good choices, but maybe a small laney...idk much about em tho
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Last edited by Rock Savior at Jun 22, 2007,
Ok, i like quite a lot of obsecure music but more well known music i would be interested in playing would be Bloc Party, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

Hope that helps
Brand new guy who got the gibson LP instead of the Epiphone:i envy you...
Elephants. larger than the moon.

98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
Quote by krymz1n
Brand new guy who got the gibson LP instead of the Epiphone:i envy you...

I have the best grandmother in the whole world This was my birthday present from her. On my own there's no way I could have afforded it.

And pst, last time I checked I was a girl.
Quote by Griffo01
Ok, i like quite a lot of obsecure music but more well known music i would be interested in playing would be Bloc Party, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

Hope that helps

Okay, so you don't need any extreme metal tones or such? The Cube would handle that, but a Vox amp might be a bit more up your alley.

For a bit more money, I would recommend going for an Epiphone G400 or the Dot. However, it ultimately comes down to preference.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Okay, so you don't need any extreme metal tones or such? The Cube would handle that, but a Vox amp might be a bit more up your alley.

For a bit more money, I would recommend going for an Epiphone G400 or the Dot. However, it ultimately comes down to preference.

Yeah, i do really like the Dot. I guess it all boils down to how much money i end up with when i go to purchase stuff

I was also thinking about this too:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-tele-custom-p90/11623

But is there any difference with that than the Affinity Tele? Or does it just look a hell of a lot better?
I have the tuner, it pwns ;p.

I'd recommend going to the shop and buying it there.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by HollyW07

I truly envy you, I've been playing for 4 years, and all i've got is my sexy Mexican Fender Tele
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Haha yeah, it would be sweet to get a Gibson. But i'm just a young full time student without a job

I also have a question about plectrums and the size of them. Is it recommended that i just get medium size?
I prefer heavy picks ;] i've only seen picks in one size
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind

I prefer heavy picks ;] i've only seen picks in one size

Then your local pick emporium is sorely understocked. No stubbies, or jazz picks, or those stupid big triangle things, or those awful sharkfin wotsits?

For a beginner I'd always say get several picks in different sizes and thicknesses, but don't get the ultra cheapy ones as they just tend to snap. I never use anything less than 1.14mm, but that might feel kind of unwieldy at the start, maybe aim to use something around 0.5mm if you can. Avoid the really thin ones though, they flap around loads and make it really hard to be accurate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 23, 2007,
All I've seen is the big bass picks and the picks which seem quite standard in size. I've seen the picks that are put on to your fingers too.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind

Basically what "Studio" means is that it's a fully functional guitar with lowered aesthetics to make it cheaper. And I think in that one's case, it has less controls, but I might be wrong on that. There's nothing wrong with their playability or sound, they just aren't as pretty.
Quote by dudetheman

the sg and the tele are very different guitars...

i'd take your influences and find out which guitar they use...

don't buy lower than the infinity, and i wouldn't buy higher so you can afford to upgrade it....

my two choices for guitars would be the affinity tele or the affinity strat for you...with a vox or cube to accompany..
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by Rock Savior
the sg and the tele are very different guitars...

i'd take your influences and find out which guitar they use...

don't buy lower than the infinity, and i wouldn't buy higher so you can afford to upgrade it....

my two choices for guitars would be the affinity tele or the affinity strat for you...with a vox or cube to accompany..

Thank you

Yeah, pretty much every band i like has a Telecaster or two in the mix . Which is why it has always been my number one choice really. I'm just torn between these two:

Squier Affinity Telecaster:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-affinity-tele/9042

Squier Telecaster Custom

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-telecaster-custom/10514

Can anybody tell me the difference of the two (except the price and how it looks) because as you know, i'm no pro and can't tell by looking at the spec of the guitar.

Also, is it worth paying the extra for the Custom or am i just paying for the looks of it?

Again, all help appreciated
Last edited by Griffo01 at Jun 24, 2007,
Teles are GREAT (I have a MIM Fender Tele) and that Korg tuner is great, I have one. Don't get the Qwik Tune, it's jumpy as hell.

Lessons here in N.Y. run about $30-50 a half hour. There are a TON of online lessons. I started with nextlevelguitar.com. $30 a MONTH, not bad and the video lessons are pretty good *I* think anyway. He kind of roots for you as you go along. There ARE other sites but I haven't checked into them yet. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Tom
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
ok, as i said above...

"don't buy lower than the infinity, and i wouldn't buy higher so you can afford to upgrade it...."

exact copy and paste...
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

Quote by Rock Savior
ok, as i said above...

"don't buy lower than the infinity, and i wouldn't buy higher so you can afford to upgrade it...."

exact copy and paste...

Or instead of upgrading, he can buy one that's already nicer. It would also help if there was an "Infinity" as opposed to the "Affinity."

The thing is about the Tele Custom is that it won't get quite the Telecaster tone you're looking for, because it has a different style of pickups. However, I do think it would be an overall better guitar.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Jun 25, 2007,
Ok, so i think i'll either get the Squier Affinity Telecaster or Squier Telecaster Custom (depending on how much money i end up with). I'll look around some guitar shops in the area before even deciding to order off of the internet.

- If i do decide to get the Custom, would it be better to order it from Dolphin Music? When you order the Custom from Dolphin Music they are available on request. Which i think means that they will order it in directly from the supplier, which i can imagine takes a couple of days extra to arrive here. I thought it might be better to order from Dolphin Music with this guitar as i've seen other forum threads where people have complained about GAK sending them models that have already been used on show and they have been extremely dirty and i don't want to risk that. It costs a bit extra from Dolphin Music, but i guess ordering everything from there makes up on having to pay a lot for separate delivery charges with GAK.

- I'm also still thinking about the Squire Standard Telecaster:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-standard-telecaster/1321

Is this better than the Affinity and the Custom, if so..can anybody explain why? Or do people still recommend that i go with Custom or Affinity?

- Another question, has anybody else ordered from Dolphin Music?

- I saw somebody recommend Vox for an amp...is this an ok amp and is it better than the Cube amp i originally was looking at?

Vox DA15

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-da15/69035

(Sorry for the long post...i have a lot of questions )
I would personally go for the Tele Standard if I had to choose between those three. It'd be made of somewhat higher quality materials and would sound a bit better. However, I'd like to say this: for £100 more (which I know is kind of a jump) you can get a Fender Standard Telecaster. This would have an overall higher build quality and sound, and I would really recommend that.

In the case of Vox vs. Cube: This is a big debate on these forums. Really, it's pretty much preference. However, with the music you listen to/play, the Vox would be better, in my opinion. It's made to handle those tones a bit better. The Cube can do those sounds, but it's really geared towards more high-gain.

As for Dolphin Music, I have no idea, I live in the US.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Jun 25, 2007,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I would personally go for the Tele Standard if I had to choose between those three. It'd be made of somewhat higher quality materials and would sound a bit better. However, I'd like to say this: for £100 more (which I know is kind of a jump) you can get a Fender Standard Telecaster. This would have an overall higher build quality and sound, and I would really recommend that.

In the case of Vox vs. Cube: This is a big debate on these forums. Really, it's pretty much preference. However, with the music you listen to/play, the Vox would be better, in my opinion. It's made to handle those tones a bit better. The Cube can do those sounds, but it's really geared towards more high-gain.

As for Dolphin Music, I have no idea, I live in the US.

Yeah, i just looked at the Fender Standard Telecaster and was surprised how cheap it was..so that's a possibility because i think i could probably stretch to that. Thing is..is there any point in having the Fender guitar if only using a small Vox amp? I guess there is really, because it's a lot cheaper to upgrade my amp in time rather than splashing out on a new guitar. Also, how come the Fender Standard Telecaster is a lot cheaper than other Fender Telecasters? Is it because it's the bog-standard one or is it made in a different country?

One more question...how long will the Fender Standard Telecaster last? As in..if i get a lot better (which i will ) will i outgrow it and have to upgrade?

Haha, it's all doing my head in try to decide. I'm even tempted to try and get a part time job or full time job for over the summer and save up for a Fender 72 Telecaster Delux:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-72-deluxe/12117

But maybe that would be a bit of an overkill for my non-existant guitar skills
Last edited by Griffo01 at Jun 25, 2007,
my bad on the infinity/affinity...personal mistake, but...you know...anyways..

as often said it's better to spend more on an amp than the guitar...however, if you want to play the tele without an amp(or with a bad one) to save up and spend a bit it's not gonna kill you either....

I'd say the vox would work fine with a standard (I assume your thinking MIM...)quite a good upgrade over the Squire, is a beast with a pickup swap...

Heres the specs of the guitars your looking at..

Affinity
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0310202&name=Tele%26reg%3B

Standard
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0321200&name=Standard+Telecaster%26reg%3B

Difference between these two are the wood...Nothing against agathis(standard..and theres a lot of agathis flaming) but alder(affinity) is a very bright tonewood, and will help keep the vintage tele sound..

Standard
http://www.fender.com/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0135102&name=Standard+Telecaster%26reg%3B

similar to the affinity...

you probably won't regret playing your guitar for a lil while to get the real deal though (Fender>Squire )
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

Last edited by Rock Savior at Jun 25, 2007,
Hey, thanks for all the info

So if i do decide to go with a Squire, would the affinity be the best bet, because of the wood it is made out of?

Also...if the affinity is a lot cheaper than the other Squier guitars..how come it is made of better wood?

But like i say..hopefully i can get a Fender one. Would any of you recommend looking on ebay or is it better to just go brand new?

You also said a pickup swap with the MIM Standard Telecaster..is this easy to do? can i get somebody else to do it for me and will it be expensive? and how much do pickups cost?
Last edited by Griffo01 at Jun 26, 2007,
Ok, so double post and a bit of a bump..but i need some more help

I've decided to go with a Fender Standard Telecaster. I want sunburst but it's an extra £50. For the extra £50 on top of the Fender Standard Telecaster price i can get a Fender Lite Ash Telecaster. Is the Lite Ash Telecaster better than the Fender Standard Telecaster?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-lite-ash/12335

Also, about amps..does anybody have any more input about Cube and Vox for me?

Thanks