Well I've got about $1600 to spend on a new amp but I can't decide what to get.
The options I've thought of so far have been the following:
Peavey JSX
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Laney ?
Mesa possibly?

I play mostly instrumental rock like Satriani, Gilbert, Beck
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
well ass always, ask yourself what kind of amp you need. You just sit at home praticing with it? then you wont need a stack or anything more than 50watts at max(depending on some factors ofcourse....) and then do you really need to spend that much on an amp you never get to use for real.

BUT if you do gig or jam with friends with it.... whole other scenario
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I would go between the JSX and a Mesa Dual or Single Recifier. If you want more headroom for clean sounds then JSX is probably the best. If you'll most of the time be playing with lots of distortion then I would go for the Mesa Single Rec. because the power tubes get warmed up a lot easier at lower volumes. I prefer the sound of Mesas to the JSX but you should try out both.
The Switchblade has some awesome features, if you like to have an arsenal of different tones ready to go, choose this thing.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I would be using this amp for practicing at home and some smaller gigs. I would prefer a combo.

Also I've been looking into the Carvin V3 and Legacy
Quote by Doodleface
The Switchblade has some awesome features, if you like to have an arsenal of different tones ready to go, choose this thing.

Expect for one thing, the most important feature:
Tone.

Tried a Switchblade once. It felt very sterile and lifeless. I really didn't like the sounds of it. It was really hard to get nice amounts of gain too.

I'd go for the Mesa or JSX.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
screw the JSX with that budget you could buy a used mark IV. It craps all over my jsx for a shred tone. right now my channels on my Mark IV are adjusted to a perfect gilbert tone.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks