Well pretty soon i'm going to be looking at buying a guitar for metal as a les paul custom will probably only get me into the heavy rock area.

I want an explorer shaped guitar but the problem is i don't have the patience to go through every page on the guitar websites under "metal/modern" style. Also people here seem to be able to give good advice on which sucks and which is a good buy.

I don't like the look of the gibson/epiphone shape explorer however i have been looking at the esp style and also the peavey raptors. So any comments on those would be helpful.

I have a budget of maximum £400 and i would like it to have two humbuckers preferably rubbish ones because they will be replaced with either emg's or nailbombs. The standard stop bar bridge not and tremolo system like floyd rose etc.

thanks
What amp do you have?

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
ye the kelly is a bit wierd looking though but thanks

oh and at the moment roland cube... getting a laney vc30 don't say buy a new amp first because i can't have three amps :S
Hamer XT Standard Korina.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The shape of the guitar doesnt really matter. Any shape guitar can be good for Metal. YOU should be more concerned about woods and hardware. Be careful with ESP and LTD guitars because they have a habbit for over chargeing for guitars that are made of a wood called Agathis. Agathis is a poor quality wood that is used to drivew down the cost of the guitar but usaly destroys the natureal tone of the guitar and makes pickups sound thin (even upgraded ones). I would just sugest going to guitar center and playing a bunch of different types of guitars). IF you do go with ESP then get a high end modle that will probably be made of Mahogony or Basswood. Or a Jackson that would be made of Alder or Basswood. IM not sure on Peavyh but every one Iever new who bought a Peavy guitar or bass has said that the guitars feel cheep and they warp easily.
i understand what your saying however £400 is a lot to spend on a guitar... it would make no sense at all to spend that much on a guitar you don't like the look of. I like explorers because they are different. I could if i wanted to just go and buy some Ibanez SA or Jackson RR3 or whatever but i choose not to because i want to get something i am completely satisfied with
Look for an ESP with EMGs. You will have the ultimate metal guitar.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by washburndean
Look for an ESP with EMGs. You will have the ultimate metal guitar.
Not really I wouldnt play Folk metal or Power Metal with EMGs if you wnat anice crunch then Emgs are decent but For CLean tones I wouldnt really sugest EMGs. Dimarzio and Duncans make good choices but its all up to the individual.
Quote by 3nemy
i understand what your saying however £400 is a lot to spend on a guitar... it would make no sense at all to spend that much on a guitar you don't like the look of. I like explorers because they are different. I could if i wanted to just go and buy some Ibanez SA or Jackson RR3 or whatever but i choose not to because i want to get something i am completely satisfied with
Oh I agree I thought you were going soley on looks so my mistake. Yeah I was just giveing you some things to watch out for because I have friens in bands around where I live that have Bouaght ESP and have regreted it.
Quote by D_o_M
Not really I wouldnt play Folk metal or Power Metal with EMGs if you wnat anice crunch then Emgs are decent but For CLean tones I wouldnt really sugest EMGs. Dimarzio and Duncans make good choices but its all up to the individual.

Folk Metal? What the hell is that?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Take a look at Jackson, they make nice guitars.
Also, have you considered a les paul with upgraded pickups?
ESP LTD EX-400, EMG's, just lovely....
<Buy advertising space!> <- Place it there...

It's a beast if you like the shape, I know it's £25 over budget but you get a hard case with it (I didn't get one with mine ) It'll an absolute sledgehammer of a guitar with new pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by D_o_M
Oh I agree I thought you were going soley on looks so my mistake. Yeah I was just giveing you some things to watch out for because I have friens in bands around where I live that have Bouaght ESP and have regreted it.

yea thanks for the advice on wood etc. i must admit its not something i always look at but i'll make sure to thanks.

yea i've thought about putting some emg's or duncans in a les paul simply because i would get kick ass sustain out of it however i'm already buying a les paul for rock so i fancied something different.

and yes the esp is agathis so stuff that i'm not wasting £400 on a guitar which lacks in tone and sustain.

oh and yea i've seen that ibanez before its pretty cool but not my cup of tea, i like it for its originality though

thanks for all your help
Try Jackson Kelly explorers or Randy Rhoads V's. The one's you can afford out of those models are the JS30 Randy Rhoads and the JS30 Kelly. They are made of alder (I think) and have Jackson pickups, wich can be replaced with your pickups of choice.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
i am not sure of the price but there is ons ESP LTD sig in an explorer shape which has the kind of splattered blood paintjob(Hate the paintjob) but it is the only xplorer i know with a floyd rose (OFR i think)
Quote by 3nemy

you dont like explorers, You said you didn't like the Gibsons.

There the only explorer...
Quote by FRDesign
you dont like explorers, You said you didn't like the Gibsons.

There the only explorer...

i've been talking about explorer style guitars smart arse there is no need to be a nob about it why can't you just be constructive like everybody else.