I been playing bass for awhile but still dont know what to use for gauge and brand. I would like suggestions conerning this matter by you more experianced bass players. Thank you for your help.
I love Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys which are 45-105 but what gauge you want really depends on you. If you will be downtuning regularly then you will need a thicker gauge, and thinner gauges are easier to bend so if you are into the crazy bends around the 3rd/5th fret it's easier with a lighter gauge.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by DesolationRow0
what kinda music do you play, and what style do you play, what kinda tone do you want, etc?

Seconded. We need more information, but if you downtune a lot, you'll want a heavier gauge string.
Id say either Ernie Ball Hybrid slinky or Regular slinky because they feel good, sound good, and last long.
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
well, they do last long, but they lose their initial brightness quite fast, such as the rotosounds 66 swing bass strings...
Well, wipe after you use em. Or buy wonder wipes, those are awesome.
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
no wonder wipes bring the original brightness back............... i mean, all the strings lose some of that after some little use.......... except for DR's, the original brightness of them lasts like for 4/5 days...

anyways... im one of the only bass players who like the sound like that... if you like something warmer its totally cool...

if i had money i'd change my strings every single day or every two days... too bad im a poor ****...
Quote by DesolationRow0
what kinda music do you play, and what style do you play, what kinda tone do you want, etc?

All kinds mainly blues,jazz,rock hard rock and I love funk and pop. On bass I like a even tone. One where you hear the fundamental tone well. but it is well rounded and still sounds like a bass. I am not a bottom thump fan,at least for most of what I play.

www.soundclick.com/davemusselman_music.htm

I play bass on all songs here. I bought a set of the Ernie Ball hybrids 45-105 . I was leery of that cause "hybrid",... what do they mean by that? Anyway its good to know somebody likes them.
for jazz and blues and stuff i recommend the D'addario.... they have a cool warm tone to them... for funk... well... hybrid slinkys..... dr hi-beams... GHS boomers...
for me the regular "bright" d'addarios are warm, just so you see how bright i like my tone ahahah...
I had a set of D'Addarios and compared to my slinkys they sounded dead right from the off. They also seemed to lose what little brightness they had very quickly but, they were buy one get one free so never mind .
Quote by Bumper

yeah, the slinkys are really really cool, if have slinkys, have you tried d'addario prosteels or DR Hi-beams?
Alas no, I don't have the funds for more expenive strings right now. I think I'm going to invest in a decent set of flatwounds though. The strings that came stock on my p-bass were really nice but nowhere around here stocks fender strings
Quote by Bumper

Ah I didn't realise, haven't seen anywhere that stocks the prosteels
Quote by Bumper

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I guess I'm just a thump man myself. Hence why I LOVE lo-riders and should be paid for how much endorsement I give them. Almost as much as indie and his Black American P-bass with a rosewood neck.

If I got paid £1 every time I mentioned that bass I would be a millionaire by now . (I must stop bragging lol )
Quote by Bumper

From England. Thomann is more expensive for me for strings because of shipping which adds a few pounds to the price.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
Alas no, I don't have the funds for more expenive strings right now. I think I'm going to invest in a decent set of flatwounds though. The strings that came stock on my p-bass were really nice but nowhere around here stocks fender strings

The strings that came on my fender were good sounding but when Iputon a setof Ernies it was better ,really noticeable I thought. I have a set of generic 15 dollar bass strings on it now. They work. As soon as they get a little dull the Ernies I bought are going on it.
ELIXERS!!!!! they're amazing, especially the ones with the nanoweb coating, you can barely feel it, and I've had them on for like, 6 months, and they're still like I've had them on for like, one month.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by DesolationRow0
try the d'addario prosteels then.....theyre so amazing.... same price as your slinkys...

If they are stainless steel (or any other stainless steel string) I wont use them. They really do sound the best,no doubt,... on guitar or bass too I spose but your frets wear out in no time . Now if you had stainless steel frets that would be nioe.
what sort of strings are good for rock/metal then? i do drop D a lot, and drop C once in a while.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
dammit, ur in Essex, that's not good to me
try the DR Hi-Beams... those are expensive but i find them the best, and theyre amazing for downtuning....i also really like the rotosounds swing bass 66 but the original brightness on them wears off really quick.... the ernie ball hibryd slinkys would be the best, i say, if you dont have much money to spend.... also buy a dunlop or ernie ball string cleaning thingy....
Quote by DesolationRow0
try the DR Hi-Beams... those are expensive but i find them the best, and theyre amazing for downtuning....i also really like the rotosounds swing bass 66 but the original brightness on them wears off really quick.... the ernie ball hibryd slinkys would be the best, i say, if you dont have much money to spend.... also buy a dunlop or ernie ball string cleaning thingy....

thanks, ill look into them at some point soon when ive got some money to my name
Quote by Deliriumbassist
dammit, ur in Essex, that's not good to me
oh and i forgot to mention.... the d'addario prosteels, which are in the smae price range then the ernie balls i mentioned, but theyre better!
theyre not as easy to find though...
Umm this thread is almost five years old.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!