Im a Rythem guitarist, and I was thinking about buying a new Epiphone Thunderbird and I was wondering if anyone else plays bass AND guitar. People are telling me that, because im alot more of a guitarist, that i might get sidetracked and it might cut me off of my guitar skills. But im thinking, bass it exactally like regular guitar, plus big strings, longer neck, and can be easier to play.
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
I'm a guitarist and I play bass ant band practice sometimes, and bass is harder lol. If you start playing bass just make sure you don't neglect guitar, but remember that knowing how to play more than one instrument is a good thing

Oh, and be carefull with the thunderbird bass. It has serious neck dive, but I think it could be cured by putting a straplock on the heel but i'm not sure.
Yeah, i tried the Thunderbird at the guitar center a week or so ago and i was instantly like "holy **** im getting this as soon as possible" I agree that playing more than one instrument is important in learning, you can like learn your way around the music...alright thanks guys

one of the things i really like about the epi thunderbird is that like i felt like i was in my own little world when i was playing it. you can reeeealy get into the groove with one of those things.
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
I've been playing bass for 6 years or so, and guitar for about half a year. I don't think you'll have trouble going back to guitar. In fact, learning guitar has helped my bass playing a lot. So if you've been playing guitar and are picking up bass, I think you should have an easy time, and a lot of fun. I have never played an epiphone thunderbird bass, but I love their looks. I do recommend Ibanez though. I've owned three Ibanez basses and loved them all. Don't get a low end one, plan to spend at least $300. Whatever you decide to get, enjoy your new bass.
Yeah the one im getting is $299. See, before I started playing guitar a while ago, I was playing bass. So its not like im trying something completely new. So now i need to decide on what color to get...black, or sunburst?
Quote by Allahblues
I was just checking them both out. Get the black one, it looks so awesome. I definitely would go with black. I've had my eye on that black one for a long time, but I forgot about it till I read your post. And the price has dropped, I remember last year those were both $399. So you're getting a good deal at $299.
Quote by ElectricMammal
Im a Rythem guitarist ... But im thinking, bass it exactally like regular guitar, plus big strings, longer neck, and can be easier to play.
Don't play bass like a demoted rhythm guitarists, it's just wrong. Oy, but on another note... I'll second the fact that you should look outside the Epi's and into Ibanez (BTB is like $329, and is amazing) or the Squier Vintage Jazz Bass, which is supposed to be decent.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

i recommend that bass.........if it could just get it to be brighter i would buy it........ just dont expect much treble out of it...
Quote by AboveTheBridge
Don't play bass like a demoted rhythm guitarists, it's just wrong. Oy, but on another note... I'll second the fact that you should look outside the Epi's and into Ibanez (BTB is like $329, and is amazing) or the Squier Vintage Jazz Bass, which is supposed to be decent.

Dude if im gonna get a bass the tbird is it. I tried a few other basses and i liked that one the most. Dude im not playing bass like a demoted guitar, im actually just really interested in bass playing.
Quote by Allahblues
I started on guitar and went to bass. As long as you don't neglect your guitar, the bass will help out your guitar skills (assuming you go beyond playing root ntoes). Of course, if you get too wrapped up in bass, some guitar skills will suffer, but they can all be easily reproduced. I'm out of practice on guitar because I spend so much time at bass, but when I first started out on bass, my guitar skills got a lot better.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I play a little bit of guitar to help my bass playing through chords construction etc. and it won't cut off your guitar skills, if anything it will help them because you can transfer things you have learnt onto bass, onto guitar and these may be things that you had never thought about and it will add another degree to your playing.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The bass isn't easier than the guitar. Anyway, the Thunderbird is a good bass, but I would prefer an Ibanez or a Warwick Rockbass, but that's just me. Whatever you buy, enjoy it.
Quote by indie-bassist
I play a little bit of guitar to help my bass playing through chords construction etc. and it won't cut off your guitar skills, if anything it will help them because you can transfer things you have learnt onto bass, onto guitar and these may be things that you had never thought about and it will add another degree to your playing.

Pretty much exactly the same here, I got a guitar a few weeks ago. It's really helped my bass playing. And it's pretty fun anyway.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I got a guitar as well because it's the same basic techniques and I pinhc guitar ideas and do it on bass like classical fingerpicking, and I knick chord sahpes as well.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Soshould i get it in sunburst or black?
Quote by Allahblues
I played rhythym guitar for years and now play bass, so I can say I play both, but honestly, once bass took a hold of me, I've rather neglected my rhythym guitar playing. But learning to play a variety of instruments is never a bad thing, but one instrument is going to take your focus. For me it was bass.

Bass for me is a harder instrument, because you need to be locked all of the time and can't fudge your timing as much as I could with rhythym guitar. As the foundation, you need to rock steady. I also found that music theory (scales, modes, chord construction etc) is much more important. Playing bass has made me an all round better musician and more open minded musically as well.

On the Epi Tbirds--if you are serious about playing bass and it speaks to you, its your money and your decision, go for it. My biggest issue with the Tbirds are the weight, esp. the neck dive described above, my current Epi has a heavy neck and weighs about 13 lbs. I've learned to like it, but I don't think I'd buy another one.

And I always prefer black over sunburst, but thats just me.
Quote by anarkee
I played rhythym guitar for years and now play bass, so I can say I play both, but honestly, once bass took a hold of me, I've rather neglected my rhythym guitar playing. But learning to play a variety of instruments is never a bad thing, but one instrument is going to take your focus. For me it was bass.

Bass for me is a harder instrument, because you need to be locked all of the time and can't fudge your timing as much as I could with rhythym guitar. As the foundation, you need to rock steady. I also found that music theory (scales, modes, chord construction etc) is much more important. Playing bass has made me an all round better musician and more open minded musically as well.

On the Epi Tbirds--if you are serious about playing bass and it speaks to you, its your money and your decision, go for it. My biggest issue with the Tbirds are the weight, esp. the neck dive described above, my current Epi has a heavy neck and weighs about 13 lbs. I've learned to like it, but I don't think I'd buy another one.

And I always prefer black over sunburst, but thats just me.

I dont nessicairly think one or the other will take my focus...i mean its kinda like acoustic or electric guitar one sounds better for different stuff...try playing open chords on a distorted amp
Quote by Allahblues