Page 1 of 3
It's official. The record industry is dead. No, i'm not joking (if i were it wouldn't be very funny either). Go check out the link below for the full story about the decline of the music industry but here's still a few quotes:

-"In the face of widespread piracy, consumers' growing preference for low-profit-margin digital singles over albums, and other woes, the record business has plunged into a historic decline."

-"About 2,700 record stores have closed across the country since 2003"

-"Around sixty-five percent of all music sales now take place in big-box stores such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy, which carry fewer titles than specialty stores"

-"So who killed the record industry as we knew it? (...) among the biggest (mistakes), they say, was the labels' failure to address online piracy at the beginning by making peace with the first file-sharing service, Napster."

-"Despite the industry's woes, people are listening to at least as much music as ever."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/15137581/the_record_industrys_decline

Coming from rolling stone, i'd say it's not bull**** or somesuch. So, what say you? It sounds alarming but personally i wouldn't take it too seriously. Comment...
I would say this is probably pretty similar to those people you get in cities ranting on about how apocalypse in coming etc.

Theres always going to be people who prefer the actual CD to mp3s
I could care less if there was a music industry. It would just weed out those who want to do it for the money and the fame. If people want to make music, they'll find a way and those who want to listen will find a way.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Moggan13
Dude
Limewire rules!

use it if you want but personally I like to support the bands I listen to, you can't call yourself a fan unless you paid for their music
Quote by Kaarlo

Coming from rolling stone, i'd say it's not bull**** or somesuch. So, what say you? It sounds alarming but personally i wouldn't take it too seriously. Comment...

Coming from one of the most behind-the-curve music rags on the shelves, I definately wouldn't take it seriously.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Screw Rolling Stone; if people still like the music; then the music will still Sell
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
LOL walmart.

The only reason i don't buy outta HMV or Virgin is because they don't have the cd's i want.

I usually have to go to some obscure back alley cd shop to get the albums i want.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I could care less if there was a music industry. It would just weed out those who want to do it for the money and the fame. If people want to make music, they'll find a way and those who want to listen will find a way.

Downloading music FTW.
i think eventually the record industry will find a way to profit off this, or people will eventually relise that the record industry dieying means alot of bands arent gonna be around anymore.
the only reason we're not buying albums is cause they cost ****in $25. unbelieveable.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
thats WONDERFUL news that record companeis wont do stuff for money anymore, they will go for the music, for supporting the fanbase that goes to concerts, thats where the money is now

great for us, bad for the companies
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by Rocking-Rob
use it if you want but personally I like to support the bands I listen to, you can't call yourself a fan unless you paid for their music

So you would rather I give a band 10 cents by buying a CD, or $10 by buying a shirt at a show?

I download because I don't want to support record companies that gouge the consumer by charging 20 dollars for a CD, and giving the artist almost none of it.
Quote by Rocking-Rob

I pay for the music I really like. However not everything I have is paid for...

I think the Movie industry could take the same route. As internet gets faster and computers get faster and bigger people will just download movies for free and watch them on there HDTVs at home...

Though a blu-ray disc sized movie could take awhile even over a really fast connection.
I still think having the actual cd is cooler than downloading a complete cd (I download, i admit)
Quote by poipoi
I still think having the actual cd is cooler than downloading a complete cd (I download, i admit)

me too, but i have to spend 40$ to get a CD over here, it sucks ¬¬
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by Rocking-Rob

No you don't, you just have to love the music. Being a fan has nothing to do with money.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Quoted For Truthiness!
Quote by killzy
No you don't, you just have to love the music. Being a fan has nothing to do with money.

+1
666 BRO
Quote by Rocking-Rob

thats the stupidest thing i have read all day
and i just read the comments for the white stripes album on the homepage
the bands dont get very much money from record sales btw, ummmm and why not go to a show and buy a shirt or something there, im sure someone beat me to this since im slow at typing but buying cds is just sh*t anymore, i went to buy iron maiden's peice of mind at a cd shop 3 days ago and it was 30$! screw that, but i downloaded it and now i have all thier albums, so id call myself a fan of iron maiden
so go see a show and buy stuff there if u want to support the bands u listen to, dont give it to universal or warner bros., or some other greedy industry that only cares about money
Quote by mr.joopy987
So you would rather I give a band 10 cents by buying a CD, or $10 by buying a shirt at a show?

I download because I don't want to support record companies that gouge the consumer by charging 20 dollars for a CD, and giving the artist almost none of it.

Thats another good point.

Artist don't get their money from the CD sales, they get it from merchandise.

The record labels act like a middle man. Today it's possible to get to number 1 without a record label backing you.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by killzy

I agree to an extent, loving the music defiantly makes up a very large part of a fan but you are effectively stealing from them.

As a (poor) example of how it is: Say that your well-off and your friend is constantly stealing money from you and then you notice, and his excuse is "your well off you don't need the money, besides I like you" would you regard him as a true friend?

Quick quote from Alexi Laiho:

"Alexi: Well the main thing that I'm thinking about is the MP3 thing and that people are downloading stuff and everything. They don't get that they're killing the band and the whole music industry. When people say that they are a Children of Bodom fan and still downloaded our album, they don't understand if they keep doing that we don't get any money and the record company doesn't get any money so we can't continue to keep putting out new albums, that should be illegal or something like that, you know what I mean!"

source:http://www.fourteeng.net/alexilaiho.html
Last edited by Rocking-Rob at Jun 21, 2007,
Quote by Rocking-Rob
I agree to an extent, loving the music defiantly makes up a very large part of a fan but you are effectively stealing from them.

As a (poor) example of how it is: Say that your well-off and your friend is constantly stealing money from you and then you notice, and his excuse is "your well off you don't need the money, besides I like you" would you regard him as a true friend?

I wouldn't really care all that much. If I'm well off then I have money to spare, someone might as well make use of it.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Like i said in the other thread, if this happpens it migh tbe good. Bands will have to tour to get their money from shows. None of that go to ****e labels. we get alot more touring, fans will always go to the shows, and fat music industry ****es will go down the spout =D perfect
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by Bubban
I wouldn't really care all that much. If I'm well off then I have money to spare, someone might as well make use of it.

+1 i would want a needy person to give to to make life a little easier
and if i was well off id still download music, becuase i everytime i go to the cd store they dont have what i want, but when i dont want it anymore there is 4 or 5 copies
Quote by Rocking-Rob

"Alexi: Well the main thing that I'm thinking about is the MP3 thing and that people are downloading stuff and everything. They don't get that they're killing the band and the whole music industry. When people say that they are a Children of Bodom fan and still downloaded our album, they don't understand if they keep doing that we don't get any money and the record company doesn't get any money so we can't continue to keep putting out new albums, that should be illegal or something like that, you know what I mean!"

A band gets most of their money from touring. Music being shared on p2p networks gives a band exposure, meaning there are more people who would pay to see a band. You can download an album, but not the experience of seeing a band live. You really want to support a band? Then go to one of their gigs and buy a t-shirt.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
I do download stuff, but only to sample it, something on your pc will never beat having a real cd, with the graphics and stuff, at least for me.

I work in the CD distribution industry and the company's doing better than ever, so I wouldn't say there's a decline...
Quote by Rocking-Rob

you're telling me he gets his money from record sales?

If a person was stealing pennies off me I wouldnt be bothered.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Rocking-Rob

I think there's maybe a line that could get crossed. For me, I mostly download my music, even Tool (except the 10,000 Days album, I actually bought that one, hehe), which is by far my favorite band. But I think I made up for it by buying shirts and stuff like that from their online store thing.
dont you all know???

rock n' roll ain't noise pollution, rock n' roll ain't gonna die
Learn to swim....

Αλλη μια πέτρα που κυλά...

[quote="Chris.Rock.Art
"]he's my "friend" he said he wanted me to see. It wasn't an accident...he wants to have sex
As the report also says, touring is massive now, and as is merchandise sales.

People can get music for free so are more likely to take the plunge with a new artist than when it costs at the very least £15 for an album you may hate.

Thi allows them to get a bigger fanbase, of which enough will still buy records, and a lot will buy shirts or see them on tour anyway. Touring is where the money often is nowerdays.

It used to be touring to promote an album to increase its sales. Now touring is an intergral part of fundraising for a band to continue.

I download at the moment as I have no money to spare on a £15 cd each, which I may not even be able to find for ages. Though I still go to see bands live when I have spare money, as often the £10 to see a small local band gives them more money and is far more rewarding for me to purchase.

Free music as sampling gives a much bigger fanbase. An example is Enter Shikari. They built a massive internet fanbase through myspace, and played shows all over the country. When they released their album, it sold really well because so many fans were prepared to buy it, after hearing and seeing them before.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I knew a new music era would rise at the turn of the decade! And here it is!

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
Quote by Kaarlo
-"So who killed the record industry as we knew it? (...) among the biggest (mistakes), they say, was the labels' failure to address online piracy at the beginning by making peace with the first file-sharing service, Napster."

Isn't Napster a legal music selling website now?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

+9999999999999999999990999999999999999999999999

ps: o and i also prefer cd's over mp3's

this weekend i bought a cd even after someone said i could burn theirs, piracy = satan anal in the afterlife
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
Last edited by viginti_tres at Jun 21, 2007,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Not really.

If there was no music industry the smaller bands and musicians would have no means of producing or distributing music. I don't think you know what goes into CD production...
What about bands like arctic monkeys and Enter shikari? they've done it themselves. Studios wouldnt go out of business, they get used for more than just Music.

what will help with the distribution and exposure is the very thing that is crippling the record industry, the internet and p2p software.

I, personally, am less likely to buy the cd of a band I've never heard of. Radio stations dont play non-mainstream music (much) and forums like this have turned me onto more bands than anything else has.

If people want music they'll actively seek it out.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jun 21, 2007,
The reason i reckon cd sales are dropping is because

1. more people are liking less mainstream music so only big record shops with massive selections can keep ppl buying stuff and all the smaller shops die out because they cant stock the range of music ppl want these days

2. downloading is a far too easy way to get free music
Page 1 of 3