Does anybody have any of the older Ampeg guitar amps? I'm curious about them and I know Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age used one awhile back. ANybody can give me a description on some of their tones and stuff? No model inparticular, just seeing if they make as good guitar amps as bass amps.
i've heard that the Ampeg VH140C is pretty much one of the best amps out there for metal, and its solid state.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
i've got a late 80's VT-60 thats at my house for a while.

3 channels, the clean channel is immense, i havent gotten it to break up yeah, it has a lot of headroom.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
My old guitar teacher got some amazing tones out of them.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
fatgraymatt has an ampeg svt60 or something I think. I've had one for a few days, and I liked it alot. Fantastic cleans, haven't been able to get it to break up. I can always catch a few on craigslist these days.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
The VT-22s are what Josh Homme uses, the V4 series were similar and really good as well. The SVTs have always been the premier Ampeg bass amps. The VT-22s I believe came in bass and guitar formats, and I know the V4s did. Regardless, if you are going for that sort of sound, one of these as a bass amp will do you just as well.

v4 clip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRbETvf6h3c

VT-22 clip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GUaVcfmEDEg
I have an early-70's VT-22 and I have nothing but great things to say about it. Unbelievably loud, versatile amp with character and balls. Very clean though, you need a pedal or other outboard gear to do the heavy stuff. It takes pedals amazingly well though. My VT-22 is a 100-watt head, but most are combo's. The V4 is the exact same amp, but in a head version. For lower-wattage versions there's the V2 (50-watt head), and the VT-40 (60-watt combo). Check out the reviews:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ampeg/V4/10/1

Most of those amps were made in the 70's, the late-70's version has built-in distortion, unlike the early-70's models, but most people don't think that's the amp's strong point. They can be had for cheap on Ebay (like $500) and have the best clean sounds I've ever heard in a non-boutique amp, and more volume, low-end and balls than anything short of an old Sunn.

For a more modern-sounding Ampeg, check out a VL-1002 (100-watt head) or VL-503 (50-watt combo). I've owned both and they're amazing too. They were made in the early 90's and designed by Lee Jackson, who modded alot of Marshalls in the 80's for guys like George Lynch and Steve Vai. They're a 2-channel (actually the 503 is 3 channels), way hotter JCM-800-type amp with a ton of features (Zakk Wylde used them early in his Ozzy days), like a lock to keep undesirables from playing it when you're not around, a built-in attenuator, and a cool light-up logo. It'll take either El34's for a Marshall kinda sound or 6L6's/6550's for a more American, Mesa-type tone.

http://www.leejackson.com/VL1002.htm

http://www.leejackson.com/VL503.htm
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jun 22, 2007,
fatgreymatt, are you sure the VT-40 is a 60 watt combo? i have a VT-60 combo, thats the 60 watt combo.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Wow thanks for the help fatgraymatt and everyone else. I'm definately not looking to be in a heavy metal band, mostly stoner rock with lots of effects. So how is the distortion on the VT's? I already have an Ampeg cabinet and I can't decide on an amp to get so I thought why not see if their guitar amps are good? I'll definately check out theose youtube videos too.
Quote by igotabcrich32
fatgreymatt, are you sure the VT-40 is a 60 watt combo? i have a VT-60 combo, thats the 60 watt combo.

Maybe I'm wrong, that's what I was told but then I always wondered why an amp with the name VT-40 would be 60 watts.

TS, the thing about the VT series and V4 amps is they're extremely clean amps. They're so loud that you'd go deaf trying to get one into stoner-rock overdrive without an attenuator. To hear what they sound like naturally, check out the Stone's Sticky Fingers, Keith was using V4's at that time. You need a pedal to get into really heavy territory with one of those amps but they make just about any OD or distortion pedal sound better than you could imagine. I actually use a Line 6 PODxtLive with mine. I used to HATE modelers but this amp makes nearly every amp-model on the XTL sound great.

Mine is a bit unusual as it had some mods done to it, as well as wiring upgrades and a new diamondplate front panel installed by the previous owner. It's a little more focused-sounding and works more like a new amp, but I've owned and played stock ones as well and have never come across one that was anything but great. With the right pedal or modeler they can do anything from Recto-style metal to Wolfmother-type Garage/Stoner tones.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jun 23, 2007,
From what I've read, Ampeg guitar amps are essentially bass amps with guitar speakers and reverb.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Well then I think that I might want to grab a Fuzz pedal if I were to aquire one, the problem is they're impssoble to find! I gotta be patient I guess and check Craigslist and ebay constantly, how much do they usually go for?
I've seen vt60's got for $450 usually.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra