Right, say I have a song in my head... I want to play it out. How much do I need to know to get this done? Obviously I can't memorise the shape of every single possible chord on the fretboard, so I need to construct them as I go, right?

When I feel like playing a song I like on the keyboard, it's pretty easy. But only because plunking keys is a bit easier since I'm only just starting out on guitar. I'm not asking for a shortcut or anything, I just want to know how you guys construct your music. For instance, say I feel like playing... I don't know, the Imperial March

Pretty easy to figure out the notes for that, right?
A A A f C A f C A ... E E E F C A f C A
(f = low, F = high)

Also easy enough to play this sweeping along the E strings or across the fretboard. So I can figure out single notes and pick them one by one.
Now how about if I want to incorporate chords into this? It sounds lame otherwise, right? How would I go about constructing the relevant chords?
I'm happy enough learning songs via tabs and such but I want to understand the theory behind them... how do people construct the tabs themselves? How did the artist decide? That sorta thing...

If I'm getting ahead of myself then just give me a slap.

PS: I only have an acoustic at the moment, to strengthen the fingers and I realise stuff won't sound the same, but the concept is similar.
It's just training i think... When I started playing guitar I couldn't find even a unison. After 6 months of playing i could tab simple song (I listened to it searching for first chord of riff, than finding others).

Try to listen to simple four-chord songs (eg. Nirvana's Polly) and to play it by ear. Do not use tab. When you think you can play it right, check it.

Then, when you practice more you'll be able t oplay what you hear in your head

Songs you can train on:
Nirvana's: Polly, Son of a Gun
Hendrix's: Hey Joe, Wild Thing (If you dont know them already)

Oh, and there is something like prefect pitch (sp?), do some research on wikipedia about it.

And if you want to add chords into melody you play on single strings, I think it's about playing chord af note you play on single string for a start of every bar.
So the Impreial March chords would be: A A A F A F A E E E F A F A

I could say something wrong here, sorry for spelling.
¡ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs sı sıɥʇ
Quote by Vixus
Right, say I have a song in my head... I want to play it out. How much do I need to know to get this done? Obviously I can't memorise the shape of every single possible chord on the fretboard, so I need to construct them as I go, right?

Sorry, but actually it is worth learning as many chords as you can. There are 5 standard positions for each chord; the CAGED positions. Try to learn each of these for all maj, min, maj7, m7 and 7 chords to give yourself a decent repertoire.
Quote by Vixus
Also easy enough to play this sweeping along the E strings or across the fretboard.

In guitar, sweeping means playing an arpeggio or scale pattern across the strings, not linear playing on one string.
Quote by Vixus

Now how about if I want to incorporate chords into this? It sounds lame otherwise, right? How would I go about constructing the relevant chords?
I'm happy enough learning songs via tabs and such but I want to understand the theory behind them... how do people construct the tabs themselves? How did the artist decide? That sorta thing...

Find which chords belong to the key that the tune is in, and use them eg for the A use Am ...
You need to learn the theory behind songwriting, really: try www.musictheory.net
The artist probably decided by experience.

As for the mention of perfect pitch, it's quite rare, so you probably wont have it (though you might!), but with years of experience as a musician you can develop something close to it.