I'm in the middle of construction and I've been playing with some ideas for coating it. I bleached some scrap walnut and ash and it's actually quite pretty. Is there any consensus as to whether this is good or bad? Does it negatively affect the wood, tone, grain fills, protective coatings, any coatings?

Also, I've heard vinegar pops the grain out, any thoughts?
pops it out as in makes it stand up, or makes it look more vivid? if it's the second, some sort of oil finish (tung, tru-oil, danish oil) will be much better.

and i couldn't imagine bleach being bad for the guitar. i've never heard of it before, though. go ask on projectguitar.com, they're smart about that kind of thing.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Bleaching wood is perfectly fine, it's actually great for a pre-dye job on some woods (like maples) because it makes them pure white for the dye.

I personally wouldn't use Clorox or anything like that for bleaching though, pool chlorine is great for it.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
The wood is dry. When you bleach you only rub it over the surface, enough for it to penetrate deep enough to be effective. All you need is some sort of applicator (like a foam paint type) and 8-12 hours to let the bleach sit.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Naturally, bleach evaporates quickly anyways.. so it's not gonna soak your wood.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
i wanna c pics
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by al_
Naturally, bleach evaporates quickly anyways.. so it's not gonna soak your wood.

youre thinking alcohol, clorox evaporates slower because it has dissolved ions
Quote by flashbandit
youre thinking alcohol, clorox evaporates slower because it has dissolved ions

No, bleach stil evaporates relatively quickly.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out