Page 1 of 2
In one corner the infamous gallop, in the other major distorted solos. Whos better?

This will spark some riots haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Thats a hard one. Cliff is better, but he only had three albums to show himself, While steve had a dozen or so
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
John Paul Jones
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
ive been debating this with my friends for years, i still believe that steve is the all around best player, he writes almost every song, every guitar part (excluding solos) drum parts, bass parts, and lyrics, and he still; produces kick ass songs
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
JPJ is good but not close to Cliff or Steve. He was Jimmy's B*tch
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Cliff Burton. Just because he was so fast, all-around experienced, and knew so many techniques. Also, he wrote Anesthesia (sp), which is the best bass song ever.
The.
haha nah man you gotta give him some props, him and bonam were kicking ass on the rythem section for ages, and those last few albums were all him(hence the synthasizers)
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Dont get me wrong, JPJ is awesome, but he wasn't nearly the performer live that cliff and steve were

Tyler Durden
good point, but they also lived in some very different eras, zep was all mellow caue of all the hippies, then you got some moshing going on with metallica, and some crazy crowd surfers with maiden(plus many giant eddies running around)
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
gahh no one for steve? the man was a genuis song write

I think he was good, just not as good as Burton.
The.
the one thing that kills me about cliff is his distortion, its just too much sometimes, like i recently saw a live show for a rather large audience on youtube and al you could hear was feedback, to me thats just poor performance, atleast at that show, other than that damn good shows
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I would say that as a bass player Cliff Burton was better. But as a song writer Steve Harris was better. But its a close call for me, for the writer anyway
if you wanna compare talent wise, you gotta listen to like Killers, drifter, phantom of the opera, then listen to master of puppets (bleck)
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Harris is an overally better bassist. If it weren't for For Whom The Bell Tolls and Anesthesia Cliff Burton would be unknown.

All of his basslines besides the Bell Tolls intro mirror the guitar riffs precisely. Harris goes crazy. Could Cliff solo better? Maybe, but bass is most of the time a rythm instrument and Harris has much more interesting underlying rythms. Other than Cliff's solos he's a very average metal bassist.

In fact you can barely even hear him and it's not the genre either I can hear the bass clearly in any Megadeth or Anthrax song.

Also Harris has some cool little bass shredding going on often during the end of songs like Flight of Icarus he has this cool little shred as the song comes to a close and on a few more.

Also Harris writes a TON of Iron Maiden's stuff.

Also Cliff did not write master of puppets!
I prefer Steve over Cliff anyday, but that being said, a lot of people will choose Cliff over Steve because of his solo's, And Steve never really shows off his skill. I have a feeling that he is much, much better than the songs let on. but I wouldn't want the bass on maiden any other way.
That is a tough one. Cliff CO-WROTE Master of Puppets, Changed Metallica for the better ( by this I mean they became more progressive and the lyrics became better) and wrote Orion, THE pinnacle of Metallica's instrumentals.
Steve on the other hand INFLUENCED Cliff, Wrote most maiden songs (lyrics and riffs) and continues to come with good stuff. Steve is slightly more lead bass than regular in my opinion too, case in point: the part after the solo in Runn to the Hills.

I would call them even.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Cliff is ridiculously overrated, yes he could solo and he had alot of techniques. Harris doesn't solo, but he writes everything, he IS Iron Maiden. Just listen to Phantom of the Opera, no way in hell Cliff could have written something like that. Yeah, Orion and Anesthesia are cool and everything, but nowhere near Harris's compositional skills.
Steve Harris whoops Cliff! Cliffs got nothing compared to him. Overall Steve provides a much more solid and interesting rythym section and thats what bass is all about. He also is an excellent song writer and without Harris music wouldn't be what it is today(at least metal music wouldn't).
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
I say you can't really compare because of this reason:

Cliff wrote his own solos and songs, and bass parts to keep him entertained and to put on a good show. So this led to him throwing some awesome basslines in some of metallica's best tracks. Personally, I think he was tired of people stereotyping bassists and took it to a whole new level and wanted to show it off, otherwise why would he have wrote solos?

Steve wrote songs, never really did too many solos, he didn't care to be showed off, he was the Godfather of Iron Maiden. All of Iron maiden's song was his work, he wrote solos for the guitars, and that was good enough for him because those songs were pretty much his children.

You can't compare musicians by what they record or how much they show on stage, they can only play a part to suit the song, or they can throw everything they have into the song. Steve Harris could be a lot better than what he put in his songs, no one knows. Cliff could have even been a lot better(unlikely) than what he put into Anesthesia.
Proud owner of a LAGUNA OCEAN TB-75
Quote by Jorah
Steve wrote songs, never really did too many solos, he didn't care to be showed off, he was the Godfather of Iron Maiden. All of Iron maiden's song was his work, he wrote solos for the guitars, and that was good enough for him because those songs were pretty much his children.

Steve never wrote any guitar solos.
Geddy Lee
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
I'd go with Steve Harris. Overall better composer and has a pretty interesting style. Cliff was a good player but got lost in the mix while Steve has a superb tone that really shows off the complexity he brings to Maiden's music. Cliff is great, don't get me wrong but to me, Steve is just better.
no sig
Burton adds his own signature too music, which is waaay to much distortion as people have already said, but Steve could play like a mad man and had wrote way more material than Cliff so I'm gonna go by my own theory here and say Steve.
Joey! Watch your speed!
Steve is the reason I play bass so I vote him. Plus his songwriting skills are amazing.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Mista_Marko
John Myung.

hell yeah he's great, easily better than steve or cliff. Does anyone know if his signature is any good? By him i mean john myung
Cliff Burton's technique > Steve Harris
Cliff Burton's compositional skills > Steve Harris

But that's just me.
cliff... too bad he had only 3 albums to show what he's worth.... but he did..... i mean.... steve harris is a legend......but cliff was not human... i dont think he died, i think he just went home...

plus he's the reason im playing... he showed me a universe that was completely different from anything... cliff is like... the most unique player ever...
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jun 22, 2007,
Quote by Lendorav
Cliff Burton's technique > Steve Harris
Cliff Burton's compositional skills > Steve Harris

But that's just me.

The only song Cliff wrote on his own was Anesthesia and he co wrote Orion, Master of Puppets, and For Whome The Bell Tolls

Steve wrote around 80% of Maiden's stuff, and Maiden has been making albums for nearly 30 years.

Technique is an opinion but it's a fact Harris was a better songwriter.

Quote by Zofar
Steve never wrote any guitar solos.

Someone here doesn't know crap about maiden
Last edited by BlueIc.e at Jun 22, 2007,
Steve is by far the better song writter in my opinion, but I think Cliff was the better bass player.

Steve does his thing and he nows it sounds good. He still plays te same gallop he has done since the forst album since it fitted maidens music. Cliff followed the guita most of the time because it fitted that music. But, I think Cliff can hold a melody or riff better, while Harris lays down the groove.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Steve Harris by far.

Heck, Cliff was alright, but I prefer Steve'o.

And isn't this basically a Vs. Thread?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by BlueIc.e
The only song Cliff wrote on his own was Anesthesia and he co wrote Orion, Master of Puppets, and For Whome The Bell Tolls

Steve wrote around 80% of Maiden's stuff, and Maiden has been making albums for nearly 30 years.

Technique is an opinion but it's a fact Harris was a better songwriter.

Someone here doesn't know crap about maiden

Someone here doesn't know crap about Metallica. At least get your facts straight before debating.

Cliff Burton wrote Anesthesia and co-wrote Fight Fire With Fire, Ride The Lightning, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, The Call of Ktulu, Master of Puppets, Orion, Damage, Inc.

And no, I think everybody here agrees that technique is a fact and songwriting is a matter of opinion. And my opinion is that Cliff was a better songwriter than Steve. Simple as that.
Page 1 of 2