Hey,

I have been playing the guitar for about a year already, but there is one problem i have.

My timing is just horrible. For example, When i play the Fade To Black Intro Solo, My

Timing is just........******** .

Any of you guys know how to improve my timing ? I seriously need help on this.

Thanks
Yeah, With my metronome i can do it at a constant rhythm, but the problem starts happening when it doesn't stay constant. So any tips, other than using a Metronome, Or tell me how to use a metronome on a solo?
a lot of people will tell you to tap your foot, but i think that doesnt work. it'll make your timing too straight. groove to whatever your playing.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
my friend has been playing the same length as u and when we cover fade to black he plays way to fast on the start of the solo then he just goes way off

i have the same problem with timing and dont have a metronome but i have been getting better from playing to drums and drum loops on my computer but i'd say start out really slow so then when u play normally it'll be easier to stay on beat and play to the song it helps also
listen to the song while ur playing it till u can play it on ur own. thats the best way
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
There is most likley a part of the solo that you lose your timing or place in, most likely a transition that you just aren't noticing.

Just keep playing it. Do it over and over slowly, find that spot, and practice the segment before it, it, and the segment after so you can get the transition right. Metronome is great, but really it's all about playing it with it, or hearing it in your head as you play it. Groove, as in, get into it. Feel it, play it as if it's yours, it'll come together.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
I'll try to play along with it, but how exactly does a metronome help in a solo. I understand how it helps when being constant at playing but for solo's........

Thanks
Tabs or not, they are still notes. Notes being played in a key, and in a time. Metronome will help you stay in time, therefore keep up.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
Play the solo without the song on, but with the metronome at a slower speed. Gradually speed the metronome up a few beats per minute, a little at a time. You'll end up playing it cleaner and cleaner, and quicker and quicker since the metronome is forcing you to. Eventually you'll have it at the speed of the song, if not faster, and just as clean as well. Play with the song more and more as well, eventually it'll kick in just right, but if speed is your main problem then the metronome will do you best specifically if you are having trouble keeping up cleanly.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
Alright, I'll try this...

This forum is pretty active, i got a response way sooner than i expected....

Thanks guys
How about learning to count?
Count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 to the beat in your head
tap your feet if it helps

You really have to learn to do it without a metronome, unless you plan to gig with one.
that'd be cool, having this metronome on top of a full stack
Quote by Invictious
How about learning to count?
Count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 to the beat in your head
tap your feet if it helps

You really have to learn to do it without a metronome, unless you plan to gig with one.
that'd be cool, having this metronome on top of a full stack

He probably already knows how to count... A metronome is much more reliable when it comes to getting cleanliness and speed up, and most musicians have metronomes on stage - a conductor, a drummer... If you can do it with the metronome, you can do it without it, you don't need to carry it around with you everywhere.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
Just play to the song over and over again. Or get something like a tascam guitar trainer. It lets you slow down the song so you can play to it, then gradually speed it up to normal speed...
or you can use guitar pro tabs and slow that down till your time intervals are fine and then speed it up..
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Boyiee
He probably already knows how to count... A metronome is much more reliable when it comes to getting cleanliness and speed up, and most musicians have metronomes on stage - a conductor, a drummer... If you can do it with the metronome, you can do it without it, you don't need to carry it around with you everywhere.

That's why we have drummers, exactly
In real life, hardly any music go as exact as the metronome, so you have to learn to alter your tempo accordingly.
Even the tip top drummers don't keep a constant beat, although their fluctuation is much smaller than the random amateur drummer.
There is also a bassist, and that's 2 rhythm instruments, if you still can't follow the beat...then i don't know..
Yeah i can count... my timing is still off..any more suggestions? this is really pissing me off
I know it's not guitar, but don't a lot of drummers use a click-track run into an in-ear monitor in live situations?

Or am I going crazy?
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
play with the song. listen to the song, then play without the song. If you hear it enough, it shouldn't be hard to get the feel of the solo.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
If you still can't get the timing, the listen to the song a few more million times, then practice more.

how simple can THAT get?
Quote by Invictious
If you still can't get the timing, the listen to the song a few more million times, then practice more.

how simple can THAT get?

Would you like me to demonstrate how difficult it can be?

When you have no rhythm, it's a pain in the ass. :P
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Quote by zOMGREI
Would you like me to demonstrate how difficult it can be?

When you have no rhythm, it's a pain in the ass. :P

Buy some rhythm.

*coughMETRONOMEcough*
Quote by aleister
Buy some rhythm.

*coughMETRONOMEcough*

I have one. I still lack rhythm.
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
I have No ryhtym and I concur Rythym is a pain the ass

i guess ill listen to the song a million more times...in my sleep..Subconsciously
Try and play the song in your head.
I find this helps me heaps with timing and also on songs where it might stop a weird times e.g. hold back the day ending .

I can just do it automaticlly but you might need to listen to the song a few times and really concentrate on it.
erggg....This is frustrating...... i listened to the song all day looping, but i still cant get the timing right... i can play along with the actual song but if stop the recording, i just go out of place...
Then don't bother with this song and play math rock.

It is bound to screw up your rhythm, or get it so perfect.
I had the exact same problem on the Intro of Fade To Black. I fixed it by playing with the song and playing it with my friend.