Well, i recently purchased a bass guitar and have started playing different songs in order to teach myself. I'm coming a long pretty well I believe, but there is one problem...different tunings and chords.

Some songs say i need to play in something like "Drop D" or "Half a step down". This is like Greek to me. Should I tune all my strings so that they match the notes or is there something else I do?

Then there are chords, or at least i think there are. Can you play chords on a bass like you can a normal guitar?

Any help anyone?
Drop D: tune your bass D A D G (low to high)
Half step down: Eb Ab Db Gb
Yeah you can play chords but they aren't too common. Usually you just play the root note, unless it is tabbed out as more than one note.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
can you play cords on a bass...?
cord=3 notes
4 strings on a bass
and you pluck it or it sounds like ****.
Trivium should rename themselfs Metallica2
Quote by vintageisbetter
cord=3 notes
4 strings on a bass

Chord=2 notes

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by aleckillscobra
just turn your E-string tuner down 45 degrees.

You cant say that. You can get different ratio tuners, so where it may be 45 degrees to you on your guitar, it may be 90 degrees to someone else.
Been away, am back
Quote by vintageisbetter
cord=3 notes
4 strings on a bass

You, sir, don't know what you're talking about, chords are 2 or more notes and can sound damn good on bass, Steve Harris from Iron Maiden uses then a lot.

And jthm_bass, never tell someone to only play the root notes again, then they'll end up like Pete Wentz. If you consider yourself a bassist you will start using terms like "arpeggio" and "chord tones", and tell people to play what is appropriate for the song, but never ever say "only play root notes".

But anyway TS: the trick with playing chords on a bass is to find the right ones, some voicings sound bad, and some sound good, a lot of chords will sound better higher up the neck, also if you can find a chord that works try arpeggios and other scale based runs rather than a static idea.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.