Page 1 of 3
"The origin of the world 'idiot' is the word 'private'. Each of us has become private, and no longer shares the common thought of the Brain, except at a subliminal level. Thus our real life and purpose are conducted below our threshold of consciousness."
-Philip K. Dick, Tractate: Cryptica Scriptura

"Beneath the city sidewalks -- the beach!"
-Situationist graffiti written in Paris, May 1968

We're living in a lonely world, people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no emo kid. But the alienating effects of this modern world just get to be too much sometimes, you know what I mean? All this advanced technology that's supposed to make our lives easier...I appreciate it and everything, I mean ****, there are so many things I wouldn't have learned without the internet...but I feel like in the long run, the autonomy these advances are supposed to have granted us is just an illusion and all they really do is make us more isolated from eachother.

Stop what you're doing for a second and seriously think about this ****. All the people you'll never truly know because you've grown accustomed to interfacing with the world through technology, through the filtered light of a computer monitor or from behind the windshield of your glorified metal box. Beautiful strangers waiting, just waiting, up and down the boulevard, their shadows searching in the night. People living just to find emotion, who will never know eachother or achieve the intimacy which they seek. You can't just walk up and befriend someone randomly in the street, not anymore. Maybe in rural towns it's different, I wouldn't know as I'm just a city boy and this is how it is in the city. You'd sooner get laid off Myspace. In the public realm, outside of certain events that encourage unity like rock concerts, church gatherings and such -- we're all locked off from eachother.

Believing in this dog-eat-dog bull**** competitive reality we've been brainwashed into by the media only makes it worse. Working hard to get your fill, paying anything to roll the dice just one more time -- and where does it get us? ****ing nowhere! Take your average ****ty American job, throw in a marriage, kids, 3 or 4 different types of insurance depending on how afraid of death you are, and all the other bull**** hasslement that life throws at you -- and what do you get? An empty life where you have no time to develop yourself, feed your soul, all the truly important **** that we need in order to be humans, ****ing real compassionate humans. The movie never ****ing ends, it just goes on and on and on and on...**** it. And then there are people like me who will never even get THAT far, to the point where I actually have a ****ing shot at getting out of the rat race. It's not my fault I'm stuck in this situtation. I was born and raised in the blighted ****hole of south Detroit, my family had to move here for work and now I'm the only ****ing black dude around, who's gonna hire me? I won't be able to afford or have time for college for years.

I can still sense that secret world of telepathic love in small, isolated moments: going to a rock show, seeing a singer in a smoky room laying his heart on the line, blasting me outside of my life for that one indescribable moment of beauty when the song climaxes, the smell of wine and cheap perfume floating in the air. But then it's over, and it's back to the daily grind. Sometimes I just want to get out, take a random train going anywhere in the middle of the ****ing night and just disappear, leave all this **** behind. I try to hold onto that feeling, but...****, I can't even articulate it. The fear takes over and I'm back to square one. A lot of you won't understand this, and that's fine, I don't expect you to if you haven't been through what I've been through.

I guess some people were born to sing the blues.
Quote by Draken
that 0/10 was for gonzo slash, i despise him.
N.W.A Is Fucking Up The Program
Co-Leader Of The League Of Toxicity33, Kankuro And Dr. Gonzo Slash
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Gonzo, you're a cool dude.
Last edited by Dr. Gonzo Slash at Jun 22, 2007,
Maybe you should go outside and talk to someone...

I still see plenty of human joy and companionship where I live. Too much, in fact.
Quote by yawn
Maybe you should go outside and talk to someone...

I still see plenty of human joy and companionship where I live. Too much, in fact.

I didnt write it, I just agree with it
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

i think you have some ****in good points
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Its easy too find compassion, and more too life..

You just gotta get off the computer... who gives a **** about Society being lazy and on myspace 24/7 .. just cause they do you dont have too..

Just log off UG, go outside.. and check out the world.. YOu'll feel a lot better.
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
Well, if you argee with it, then what I said still applies.
Quote by garrett5
Its easy too find compassion, and more too life..

You just gotta get off the computer... who gives a **** about Society being lazy and on myspace 24/7 .. just cause they do you dont have too..

Just log off UG, go outside.. and check out the world.. YOu'll feel a lot better.

I just feel as though Im living in a lonely world
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

That's some heavy ****. Heavy, heavy ****.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
Quote by Schnitzel_Man
That's some heavy ****. Heavy, heavy ****.

Yeah, sorry if it went on and on and on and on but it needed to get the point accross
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

that essay was beautiful, and reminded me of the fight club for some strange reason.
Where I live there isn't many human compassion. everyone is scared of the other people and don't trust anyone.
YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE FROM THE DOOM DOOM DOOM

My Equipment:
Schecter Omen FR
Fender Frontman 25
Digitech Distortion Factory
Last edited by cosmic rocker at Jun 22, 2007,
DO-ON'T stop, BE-LEEVIN'! HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEEEEEELIN!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash

So maybe you should give credit to whoever wrote it, you plagiaristic bastard.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
So maybe you should give credit to whoever wrote it, you plagiaristic bastard.

Are they even still around?
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Just don't give into that **** man. I've gone through the whole nihilistic fight club little stage, kill your t.v., get as far away from the total mind**** that is television, advertising etc... that whole philosophy is whacked, you talk about feeling those brief moments of love you have to realize that those are the times we feel normal. Not special fleeting moments of departure from normal behaviour. We should be that loving with our surroundings in everythign we do, which means coming to terms with a lot of the **** in the world and yourself. This is making me feel really preachy, but I hope it helps.
Wait, am I the only one who got it...?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Quote by BigBassFishing
Just don't give into that **** man. I've gone through the whole nihilistic fight club little stage, kill your t.v., get as far away from the total mind**** that is television, advertising etc... that whole philosophy is whacked, you talk about feeling those brief moments of love you have to realize that those are the times we feel normal. Not special fleeting moments of departure from normal behaviour. We should be that loving with our surroundings in everythign we do, which means coming to terms with a lot of the **** in the world and yourself. This is making me feel really preachy, but I hope it helps.

Its just hard these days man. Im working hard to get my fill, but have to stay within the constraints of society. Some will win in this world, and some will lose. And its just getting me down.
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Couldnt agree more. Pretty much most of the people I could know and have good friendships with are too obsessed with "that comment on my myspace" or "that person I met in this chatroom". Most of the people I know are more likely to go out with someone they met on myspace than with someone they know and see fairly often.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
Its just hard these days man. Im working hard to get my fill, but have to stay within the constraints of society. Some will win in this world, and some will lose. And its just getting me down.

Get your fill of what? And what are the constraints of society? Are they on your mind or are they physically affecting you like the issue about a job?
Quote by dann_blood
Couldnt agree more. Pretty much most of the people I could know and have good friendships with are too obsessed with "that comment on my myspace" or "that person I met in this chatroom". Most of the people I know are more likely to go out with someone they met on myspace than with someone they know and see fairly often.

Yeah, in todays society people are living just to find emotion, but in all the wrong places. Instead of going outside, they linger on Myspace just for that one comment, its depressing really.
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash

I know how you feel. Sometimes I just think about taking a midnight train out of here, and I don't care where. I mean everybody wants a thrill, and I feel that I'd pay anything to roll the dice just one more time.
Also I'm sick of my GF's cheap perfume. That alcoholic.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
And we linger on a forum, and talk about it...actions speak louder than bumper stickers. I'm getting off this computer haha.
Sounds like someone didn't catch up with the times.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by Xinlitik
Sounds like someone didn't catch up with the times.

I think the whole point was that the times were juiced up and left everyone behind.
Quote by BigBassFishing
I think the whole point was that the times were juiced up and left everyone behind.

Exactly, I mean in these times for a smile we can all enjoy the night but thats for One night, how can we enjoy our lives?
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash

Believing in this dog-eat-dog bull**** competitive reality we've been brainwashed into by the media only makes it worse. Working hard to get your fill, paying anything to roll the dice just one more time -- and where does it get us? ****ing nowhere! Take your average ****ty American job, throw in a marriage, kids, 3 or 4 different types of insurance depending on how afraid of death you are, and all the other bull**** hasslement that life throws at you -- and what do you get? An empty life where you have no time to develop yourself, feed your soul, all the truly important **** that we need in order to be humans, ****ing real compassionate humans. The movie never ****ing ends, it just goes on and on and on and on...**** it. And then there are people like me who will never even get THAT far, to the point where I actually have a ****ing shot at getting out of the rat race. It's not my fault I'm stuck in this situtation. I was born and raised in the blighted ****hole of south Detroit, my family had to move here for work and now I'm the only ****ing black dude around, who's gonna hire me? I won't be able to afford or have time for college for years.

I particularly liked this bit.

The competition that is pumped into your brain as the necessity for success is one of the most damaging aspects of society. It is STOPPING human progress, damn, if we cooperated, if countries ceased to exist, in the sense that they do now, and we all just we as one (Obviously over many many generations....but it has to START somewhere).

We would progress as a society, the importance of artists that there was in the renaissance would return....ppl would be happy. THEY WOULD'NT BE IN CONSTANT FEAR OF HAVING TO WORK HARD SO THEY HAVE SECURITY. People would only ever work to live NEVER live to work, and people would spend their time exploring themselves and the world. Acid and mushrooms would be available from vending machines. Everybody would be, free thinking, happy INDIVIDUALS.

whoa....sry I just jumped from topic to topic there.
But you see my point.

(edit: forgot the 'NT in wouldn't, lol)
Last edited by Bob Mcgraw at Jun 22, 2007,
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
Yeah, in todays society people are living just to find emotion, but in all the wrong places. Instead of going outside, they linger on Myspace just for that one comment, its depressing really.

Exactly. I mean, ive lost my best friend to that ****, lost countless friends, all because theyre so caught up with meeting other people and experiencing emotions theyve "never felt before", only for one of the two people to be disappointed and ditch, repeat the process again.
All these people I used to know now spend all their time together in a group talking about their new pics and all those fantastic guys/girls theyve met.
Its just bull****, that I can talk to someone in the flesh an hour and a half a day but they'll be better friends with someone theyve never met.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Exactly. I mean, ive lost my best friend to that ****, lost countless friends, all because theyre so caught up with meeting other people and experiencing emotions theyve "never felt before", only for one of the two people to be disappointed and ditch, repeat the process again.
All these people I used to know now spend all their time together in a group talking about their new pics and all those fantastic guys/girls theyve met.
Its just bull****, that I can talk to someone in the flesh an hour and a half a day but they'll be better friends with someone theyve never met.

Exactly. In fact, I would go as far as to say I wish the internet never was created. We've all become shadow people, empty shells of our former self.
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
Exactly. In fact, I would go as far as to say I wish the internet never was created. We've all become shadow people, empty shells of our former self.

I wouldnt go that far. The internet provides us with great things, including massive sources with information, help on plenty of things, but things like myspace, bebo and all that crap, its getting to the point where people are becoming anti-social because of this. They will either a) not have the confidence to talk to people because they dont get to talk to people who know plenty of other people with things to talk about from this craze or b) they spend so much time on these things talking to people instead of going out meeting others they're too shy when it comes to that.
I sure as hell know I cant talk to most girls because they're too busy texting someone, or even if they sign on to MSN I barely get a chance to talk to anyone at all cos theyre too busy talking to all these people theyve never met in person but met over one of these sites.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash

We've become streetlight people, with our shadows searching in the night.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Your avatar made it entirely impossible to read or comprehend any of that.
Originally Posted by guitar_freak333
I dont like death metal, I just see it as a bunch of hairy men playing the same riff over and over again exetremely fast.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
We've become streetlight people, with our shadows searching in the night.

Exactly. And this cylce is to go on and on and on and on unless we do something. I say we roll the dice and take a gamble, and once and for all get rid of the internet.
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

NO ONE ELSE GETS IT?!?!

Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
"The origin of the world 'idiot' is the word 'private'. Each of us has become private, and no longer shares the common thought of the Brain, except at a subliminal level. Thus our real life and purpose are conducted below our threshold of consciousness."
-Philip K. Dick, Tractate: Cryptica Scriptura

"Beneath the city sidewalks -- the beach!"
-Situationist graffiti written in Paris, May 1968

We're living in a lonely world, people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no emo kid. But the alienating effects of this modern world just get to be too much sometimes, you know what I mean? All this advanced technology that's supposed to make our lives easier...I appreciate it and everything, I mean ****, there are so many things I wouldn't have learned without the internet...but I feel like in the long run, the autonomy these advances are supposed to have granted us is just an illusion and all they really do is make us more isolated from eachother.

Stop what you're doing for a second and seriously think about this ****. All the people you'll never truly know because you've grown accustomed to interfacing with the world through technology, through the filtered light of a computer monitor or from behind the windshield of your glorified metal box. Beautiful strangers waiting, just waiting, up and down the boulevard, their shadows searching in the night. People living just to find emotion, who will never know eachother or achieve the intimacy which they seek. You can't just walk up and befriend someone randomly in the street, not anymore. Maybe in rural towns it's different, I wouldn't know as I'm just a city boy and this is how it is in the city. You'd sooner get laid off Myspace. In the public realm, outside of certain events that encourage unity like rock concerts, church gatherings and such -- we're all locked off from eachother.

I can still sense that secret world of telepathic love in small, isolated moments: going to a rock show, seeing a singer in a smoky room laying his heart on the line, blasting me outside of my life for that one indescribable moment of beauty when the song climaxes, the smell of wine and cheap perfume floating in the air. But then it's over, and it's back to the daily grind. Sometimes I just want to get out, take a random train going anywhere in the middle of the ****ing night and just disappear, leave all this **** behind. I try to hold onto that feeling, but...****, I can't even articulate it. The fear takes over and I'm back to square one. A lot of you won't understand this, and that's fine, I don't expect you to if you haven't been through what I've been through.

I guess some people were born to sing the blues.
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Quote by jthm_guitarist
DO-ON'T stop, BE-LEEVIN'! HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEEEEEELIN!

STREET LIGHTS. PEOPLE.
*gets on knees* LIVIN' JUST TO FIND EMOTION

Hell yeah, I 'm not even ashamed to say i was listening to that on my way home earlier.

EDIT: I just realised the significance of the word 'Journey' in the thread title too.
Quote by burningcowsrule
STREET LIGHTS. PEOPLE.
*gets on knees* LIVIN' JUST TO FIND EMOTION

Hell yeah, I 'm not even ashamed to say i was listening to that on my way home earlier.

EDIT: I just realised the significance of the word 'Journey' in the thread title too.

Lol yeah Im sneaky like that
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

haha, i heard that song at work today. just a few minutes after "oh sherrie".
#DTWD
Are you kidding ? I often feel like an outcast because everyone around me is incredibly social and there's so much pressure to "find a soul mate" and "connect to people". Even on the Internet the current "buzz" is "social networking sites" like MySpace, Facebook even Youtube etc.

People are extremely social by nature but I am not. I do not observe this alienation at all. If anything I feel smothered by the fact that people always need to be around other people. I try to be alone as much as possible and a lot of people think that I'm weird and anti-social because of it (anti-social probably is an accurate) but I don't see anything wrong with it. If I feel alienated it's because I don't want to have anything to do with other people and everyone else seems to put the most emphasis on being social, having a family, falling in love etc. I have no desire for anything of that.
Page 1 of 3