My main problem is I am not sure that I am doing it correct. Should I be alternating the up down regardless of string ? or say if I were moving down a string should that be a down stroke and visa-versa ?
Alternate picking is when you alternate up and down strokes regardless of the string. The other method you mention (down stroke when moving down) is called economy picking.
please excuse any typos or grammatical errors in the above post.

My Last.fm
Nah u just stay up and down even if changing strings
My Gear:

Brian Moore i2.13
Line 6 POD XT Live
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
is Economy better or worse than alternate picking ?

I tend to use Economy picking as it seems easier and more natural, I can get reasonable speed out of it. Just trying to work out what is the better method
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Last edited by Deviant1853 at Jun 23, 2007,
Economy picking is when you move in a fluid motion and cover a large amount of area and nail an arpeggio or scale pattern in one movement. However, if you're making only down strokes when moving down or only upstrokes when moving up, then that's just sloppy technique and a bad habit that needs to be fixed. You'll get much more speed, accuracy, control and clarity of your notes with all alternate picking (unless you put in the practice for economy picking.)
Economy picking is something you should learn after alternate picking. Alternate picking teaches you accuracy, and how to control both hands well. After it is mastered, you can then consider economy picking.

Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, MAB, Mark Tremonti, Joe Satriani economy pick.

John Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert(I believe) are strictly alternate pickers.

^= Upstroke v= Downstroke
Alternate:

------v-^-v-^v-^-v-^-v-^-v-^-v-^-v-^v-^-v-^-v-^v-^-v-^-v-^ B|------------------------5-6-7-8--------------------------------5-6-7-8----------------------
G|-------------5-6-7-8------------5-6-7-8-----------5-6-7-8---------------------------------
D|---5-6-7-8--------------------------------5-6-7-8--------------------------------------------

Economy
------v-^-v-^^-v-^-v-^-v-^-v-v^-v-^-v-^-v-^-^v-^-v-^-v-^-v
B|------------------------5-6-7-8--------------------------------5-6-7-8----------------------
G|-------------5-6-7-8------------5-6-7-8-----------5-6-7-8---------------------------------
D|---5-6-7-8--------------------------------5-6-7-8--------------------------------------------
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jun 23, 2007,